XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

295/30/20 rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:25 AM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 295/30/20 rear tire

hi all, any experiences with upgrading a stock 285/30/20 rear tire to a 295/30/20? fronts are factory 255/35/20.

stock 255/35 fronts are diameter of 27.09"
stock 285/30 rears are diameter of 26.7"
295/30 rears would be diameter of 27.01"... was thinking this would give slightly better grip and also a better overall balance to the car

I'm planning all season tires - either continental DWS for the 285 or Nitto Motiva for the 295

Old 06-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Be sure to get the newer DWS 06, they are substantially better than the still available original DWS model.

The following users liked this post:
Adam J (06-11-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Swimref
Be sure to get the newer DWS 06, they are substantially better than the still available original DWS model.
thanks for that advice. i have the older (conti DWS) ones now and I'm happy with them - the rears are just getting worn - the "s" of the "dws" is almost gone!! It would indeed be the best path to get the newer "DWS-06" model for the extra couple bucks per tire.

if i end up going with the 295 section tires, i will have to switch brands though - continental doesn't make it in that series of tire - only the 285..\

i like the 295 concept because it it slightly wider and taller, which will best match the front tire for height.

again, "if" the 295 is chosen, the Nitto all season looked to be the most comparable to the conti

Old 06-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

idk if this helps but I have 295/25/22 on my rear rims and the lexani brand is just very cost effective so I'm surprised to tell you my car sticks like glue in the rear under all types of hard acceleration traction control completely off launch and everything so I'm def pleased with a 295 I got a little less horsepower thoe in a 4.2 SC

Old 06-12-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by RonAsonte12
idk if this helps but I have 295/25/22 on my rear rims and the lexani brand is just very cost effective so I'm surprised to tell you my car sticks like glue in the rear under all types of hard acceleration traction control completely off launch and everything so I'm def pleased with a 295 I got a little less horsepower thoe in a 4.2 SC
1st - your car looks amazing!! I've been eyeballing each and every lexani wheel that is black with a machined or "bright" accent. the Css -15 is great looking. there are about 5 other styles that all also look great: Pegasus, Wraith, Stuttgart, Bremen, Gravity
I've been considering sticking with 20's as we have plenty of potholes in upstate NY and a 20'' on 30 series tires is already almost a guarantee of problems.
looks like your tires are about a match to each other for height, but almost an inch taller than stock. i see you are one step narrower in front and a step wider in rear. any issues with:
- rubbing in front when goign over bumps or turning?
- is the front tire a bit narrow for a 9'' wheel? stock is narrower with a mider tire, right?
- are you lowered at all?
- do the rims have an offset that affects you negatively at all / care to elaborate about fitment issues?
- did you think 20's would look goofy with custom wheels? sometimes i think i might need to go to 22'' for the look, but want to keep it lower budget..

RonAsonte12 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam J
1st - your car looks amazing!! I've been eyeballing each and every lexani wheel that is black with a machined or "bright" accent. the Css -15 is great looking. there are about 5 other styles that all also look great: Pegasus, Wraith, Stuttgart, Bremen, Gravity
I've been considering sticking with 20's as we have plenty of potholes in upstate NY and a 20'' on 30 series tires is already almost a guarantee of problems.
looks like your tires are about a match to each other for height, but almost an inch taller than stock. i see you are one step narrower in front and a step wider in rear. any issues with:
- rubbing in front when goign over bumps or turning?
- is the front tire a bit narrow for a 9'' wheel? stock is narrower with a mider tire, right?
- are you lowered at all?
- do the rims have an offset that affects you negatively at all / care to elaborate about fitment issues?
- did you think 20's would look goofy with custom wheels? sometimes i think i might need to go to 22'' for the look, but want to keep it lower budget..

thanks a lot man first off... where to start
-as far as the 20-22 its all about personal preference ive seen pictures of both 20 and 22s I like both but 22s personally gave me that lil extra and if youre gonna get aftermarket wheels why not go up a size from stock if you could find 21s I think theyd solve everything plus I still got my 20s for winter and they are currently fixing all the roads here

I don't think its "goofy" to go 20s 1. price point 2. speed 3. road conditions and don't forget 4. speed. I got my 22s for the price of 20s took a lil extra effort and searching but I did it (AutoAnything.com wait for a sale) then put together your tire packages and sensors separately on other websites

- slight rubbing at the back of the wheel well when you turn but its really slight touching. the part it touches is thin and flexible so it doesn't pose any problems haven't had any problems with the rear at all

-the rear tire I think fits beautifully the front is a bit narrower than I like but I couldn't find anyone who was running a 255 on the front. didn't want to take the risk. it may just be me but I'm sure I have a little less grip on the front and psychologically it doesn't take turns as well (understeer kinda feel). I think the stock wheel is a 8.5 I wanted my rims to kinda sit flush with the outside of my car and take up more space that's why its a inch taller and a lil wider.

-its not lowered idk too much about offsets

-and I totally agree with everything you said about the lexani rims with machined tips I looked at all of those wheels and I like all of them been a long time lexani fan since my midnight club days lol

Adam J (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I have 255/35-20 in the front and 295/30-20 in the rear and love it. The rear wheels are 10 inch wide. I love the handling and traction. My tires are the Nitto 555 Extreme. I have them on COR three piece rims.

Adam J (06-30-2017)