XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

4 x Buckled 20" Kalimnos wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 x Buckled 20" Kalimnos wheels...

Hi there.

I'm a new member. My intro should be in the right place, but basically, I drive a 62 XFs Portfolio in black, with the 20' black Kalinmos wheels.

I have a problem. I have, after only 6500 miles, 4 buckled wheels. 2 so badly they are beyond repair.

My question is, has anyone else had a similar issue. I have not raced it, crashed it, driven on unsurfaced roads, up or down curbs, through pot holes, etc.

Any experiences would be gratefully received, i'm in a bit of a tussle with jag over whether there is a problem with this batch of wheels being too soft.

Cheers

Adam

Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Adam,

The Advice / Feedback section is for posts about the forum and not for technical questions. I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center section to XF/XFR section. Members here with the same model as you will be able to advise if they have a similar issue with the wheels.

We also have a representative from Jaguar CRC (Customer Relations Centre) on the forum. He could help if you aren't making progress with your Jaguar Dealer.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
electricboogaloo (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 PM

Graham

Thank you for moving me to the right place.

Cheers

Adam

Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

where on earth are you driving? Are those aftermarket rims? I can tell you that with my 20" OEM rims that I have hit some fairly sharp pot holes and have had no issue. We in the north know how to make pot holes!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:36 AM

Not aftermarket. Genuine Jag 20" Kalimnos black. Lovely wheels.

http://www.jaguar-shop.com/Kalimnos-20-Black-pack

therein lies the issue!!

I have done less than 7000 miles, on normal roads, at normal speeds. I hit 1 pothole, not that big either.

But all four have flat spots and I can feel vibrations anything over 50mph.

Jag are saying it's just normal and due to potholes and speed bumps.

I disagree. If it was due to speed bumps, the wheels would be nothing but flat spots!

Seems to me like a bad batch of wheels, too soft. Maybe a problem with the heat treatment or something, I'm not a metallurgist.

But I don't believe I should just swallow this and fork out £2400 for 4 new wheels.

I'll have them repaired if Jag wash their hands of it, and then go nuts on twitter and FB about it to spread the word, ahem brother!

Last edited by electricboogaloo; 08-07-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

This is a dumb question, but, just to clear it up -- you have had them re-balanced since your initial installation? I can't believe all four would go at the same point...perhaps they were never balanced right?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 AM

when I say buckled, i mean to the naked eye. bent all out of shape, like they are made of chocolate!

Never seen anything like it!

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds a simple warranty claim.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Have not ever seen that!!

Can you post any pictures? The Jaguar customer service guy that does read this forum might want a look too!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Made of chocolate?!?!? I have to see this, please post some pictures....

Old 08-10-2013, 03:51 AM

jaguar have dismissed it, claiming I definitely hit something.

They claim the slight parking scuffs on the outer rim is clear evidence of a collision, and that is why the inner rims are bent.

I claim I have not hit anything, from a position of knowledge, being the only person that drives the car.

I offered them the chance to download the EDR to see if it has recorded anything, and they have declined, saying they know I hit something already.

Jaguar are clairvoyant!

I'm not letting it go though... I'll post some pictures once I download them from my phone.

I have posted on the jaguar twitter and facebook pages, and I will be making a madness (driving in my car) parody on youtube. (i liked driving in my car, but it's a shame that it's a jaguar, i drove it to primrose hill, and apparently, i bent a wheel...) you get the idea...

Old 08-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

You and Jaguar need to agree on an independent inspection of the wheels and tests for metal hardness. Then based on this report, either a warranty claim is in order, OR, somehow someone has driven your car down a dirt track somewhere without your knowledge.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Are You Absolutely Positive No One Could Have Driven The Car Without Your Knowledge? Like A Teenage Son Or Daughter, Not So Good Friends Of You Or Your Kids(If You Have Any). Not Calling You A Fool But, You Can't Trust Everyone.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 AM

I'm a widower, my daughter is 20 months, so i'm fairly sure only I have driven it.

It's possible a jaguar tech has ragged it, but it has only been back to jag once previously for a software update. I don't think they have driven it.

But, you never know I guess.

Last edited by electricboogaloo; 08-11-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by electricboogaloo
I'm a widower, my daughter is 20 months, so i'm fairly sure only I have driven it.

It's possible a jaguar tech has ragged it, but it has only been back to jag once previously for a software update. I don't think they have driven it.

But, you never know I guess.
Sorry For Your Loss .. Can't Imagine Going Through The Same. You Deserve A Break .. It's A Shame Jaguar Wouldn't Give You That Break. On The Other Hand.. Please Provide Me A Link To This YouTube Video When Completed.

Best Of Luck,

Calvin

Old 08-12-2013, 07:28 AM

Ahh, the power of social media, and a firm stance!!

I had a more positive call with Jaguar today.

The wheels will be getting repaired, and whilst Jag won't admit there is an issue with the wheels, they are popping 2 new tyres on as goodwill.

i have refurb insurance, and the additional cost to have them straightened, is marginal, so this works for me. (£600 of rubber, and two part worn tyres left over for when the fronts need replacing, saving me another £600.)

Just hope they don't bend again, but at least Jag are aware of the potential issue if I have to fight them again.

Not the 4 new wheels I wanted, but being realistic, they were never gonna cave in unless I found hundreds of people with the same issue, and had national media coverage.

But, they have stepped up to try to make me happy, and I have to respect that.

Now, this time I have managed to get some pictures uploaded. I introduce Brutus, Jagurus Naughtius Maximus!!

Attached Thumbnails 4 x Buckled 20" Kalimnos wheels...-photo-2.jpg   4 x Buckled 20" Kalimnos wheels...-photo-1.jpg   4 x Buckled 20" Kalimnos wheels...-photo-3.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Nice car but I was hoping to see the wheel damage?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Nice car but I was hoping to see the wheel damage?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 AM

jag say the slight parking scuff (my bad...) is clear evidence of a significant impact that caused the damage to the inner rim.

They are all bent like this. I suspect a problem with the wheels, as I'm a careful driver, and I normally have my child in the car with me. I know for a fact that I have not hit anything except for one pot hole, at low speed, and I just don't see how that could have damaged all 4 wheels.

Anyway, it's been resolved now, not to my complete satisfaction, but it's a compromise.

Attached Thumbnails 4 x Buckled 20" Kalimnos wheels...-damage-fns.jpg   4 x Buckled 20" Kalimnos wheels...-photo-1%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Well if I had not heard your story and just saw the bent rim only I would say it was from impact too??

That type of damage is usually from impacts but with what you say maybe the wheels are too soft. Not seeing others with this complaint so I am hoping yours is a one off?

Quick Reply: 4 x Buckled 20" Kalimnos wheels...