XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

5.0 oil type question,, Castrol Only option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 5.0 oil type question,, Castrol Only option?

Hey Folks,,

I know this has been discussed before but while looking for a specific answer, I couldn't find what I was looking for.

So the whole Castrol Edge Professional OE 5w20 or 0w20 depending on the year and weather conditions is what Jaguar recommends. However, most of the members here (I trust) Said it is fine to use any oil that is same weight (5w20) Full Synthetic and meets or exceeds the requirements for Ford WSS-M2C925-A.

I personally don't care what brand as long as it meets the FORD requirements (I do prefer Mobil 1 However) and as of now I could not find a single type of oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C925-A except in the Castrol Edge Professional OE 5w20.

All the mobil-1 oils say that they meet Ford WSS-M2C945-A and the Ford WSS-M2C930-A on the bottle. So is that enough? Or should I stick with an oil that specifically meets Ford WSS-M2C925-A?

If you know of a certain oil type that meets this requirement please list it and let me know what type of oil you use for your 5.0 engine (NA or Supercharged).

The last thing I wanted to ask is oil capacity for a 2012 XF 5.0 NA, it is 7.25 liters with an oil filter change right? about 7.5 quarts?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

As you know this question has been discussed to death on this forum, so I won't comment further other than to say "get whatever oil you are happy with". The oil capacity is 7.25 litres not including the filter, and there is no need to allow for the filter capacity as it sits on top of the engine.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
As you know this question has been discussed to death on this forum, so I won't comment further other than to say "get whatever oil you are happy with". The oil capacity is 7.25 litres not including the filter, and there is no need to allow for the filter capacity as it sits on top of the engine.
That's true it has been discussed a lot. However I couldn't find anyone that touched on the point of the Ford Requirement of WSS-M2C925-A. Like I mentioned oil type isn't of a matter to me and if applicable I will go with Mobil 1. However no oil on the market (At least among where I looked) specifies where it meets Ford's WSS-M2C925-A except for the Castrol Edge Professional OE, all the other oils mention meets or exceeds WSS-M2C945-A and WSS-M2C930-A but not WSS-M2C925-A. So does that mean I should only stick with Castrol OE?

Thanks
Sam

Old 10-23-2017, 05:18 AM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by croco
That's true it has been discussed a lot. However I couldn't find anyone that touched on the point of the Ford Requirement of WSS-M2C925-A. Like I mentioned oil type isn't of a matter to me and if applicable I will go with Mobil 1. However no oil on the market (At least among where I looked) specifies where it meets Ford's WSS-M2C925-A except for the Castrol Edge Professional OE, all the other oils mention meets or exceeds WSS-M2C945-A and WSS-M2C930-A but not WSS-M2C925-A. So does that mean I should only stick with Castrol OE?

Thanks
Sam
i found a brand I'd never heard of - Ravenol.. says meet or exceeds various standards, including the ford one. claims thaey have letter of compliance from JLR too.

Amazon Amazon

i'm also a bit curious about it - who knows

Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Received 274 Likes on 188 Posts

Total states that Quartz 9000 Future GF-5 0W-20 meets Ford WSS-M2C925-A - Bottom of page 3:

https://newweb-totalms.documents.us2...talog_Nr38.pdf

This is available in Germany at a very sane price so I might try it next time.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,240 Likes on 1,768 Posts

You have hit the main problem.
No one can say (That I can find anyway!) if the required spec of WSS-M2C925-A is met by WSS-M2C945-A and/or WSS-M2C930-A.

As far as oil specs go it would make sense that 925 was released earlier than 930 and 945 but I can't find anything in print that ties those specs together.

As you probably know the factory oil is UV dyed and I can't find any other oil that makes that claim either so if you are under warranty be aware they can tell if the specified oil was used or not.

Then you got the whole Titanium thing which I am not sure I believe either?
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united.../benefits.html

What's even stranger is if you go to that Castrol web site and try to find which product you need, at least for my 550HP 5.0L V-8, they tell you to check the owners manual because they (Castrol) do not have a product to recommend??? Yet they are the factory specified oil brand. So does Castrol even sell the factory oil to anyone BUT Jaguar?

Right now my 2014 XJR is under warranty and the factory says 16K miles or once a year. I have heard the cost is $200+!
I will probably for the first time in my life pay a dealer to change the oil.

Last edited by clubairth1; 10-24-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
You have hit the main problem.
No one can say (That I can find anyway!) if the required spec of WSS-M2C925-A is met by WSS-M2C945-A and/or WSS-M2C930-A.

As far as oil specs go it would make sense that 925 was released earlier than 930 and 945 but I can't find anything in print that ties those specs together.

As you probably know the factory oil is UV dyed and I can't find any other oil that makes that claim either so if you are under warranty be aware they can tell if the specified oil was used or not.

Then you got the whole Titanium thing which I am not sure I believe either?
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united.../benefits.html

What's even stranger is if you go to that Castrol web site and try to find which product you need, at least for my 550HP 5.0L V-8, they tell you to check the owners manual because they (Castrol) do not have a product to recommend??? Yet they are the factory specified oil brand. So does Castrol even sell the factory oil to anyone BUT Jaguar?

Right now my 2014 XJR is under warranty and the factory says 16K miles or once a year. I have heard the cost is $200+!

That's exactly what I was looking to find an answer for. I think I am just gonna go with Mobil 1 Extended Performance and drive the car for a week. If I notice any change in engine behavior/sounds/ticking I will switch back to the Castrol OE. As of now I am looking at a $80 oil change to do it at an indy vs the dealers ($200) near Pittsburgh area. I never ever run my oil over 5000 miles and I don't care what manufacturers say about 16k oil changes. I change the Oil filter every other oil change in my jag. I had an Audi before and I used to change it with Mobil 1 every 3k miles and change the filter with the third oil change. Mobil 1 for the audi was $25 for 5 quarts. Until 160k I had never experienced the sludge Audi people suffer in their A4s.

My advice is don't let your XJR run 16k between oil intervals.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I put non-Castrol oil in both my XFR and F-Type. In the first case the label on the bottle said it met both 925A and 945A, in the second case it said just 945A.
Zero engine problems on either car after running for some 10,000 km on this oil.
I've said it before, but Castrol/JLR dealerships trying to insist that only the special Castrol unobtanium brew with added Titanium can be used without risk is IMHO pure BS. As long as it is full synthetic 0W20 or 5W20 which meets either 925A or 945A spec it will be perfectly OK.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Well I am with you on those long oil change intervals BUT I am an old guy from the 3K mile oil change days. I am 100% Mobil 1 in everything including my lawn mower. I have only had the XJR a month or two and am trying to figure out this very confusing oil spec?

I have gone up to 10K miles with the wife's 2013 MKS ECO Boost 3.5L Twin Turbo engine. Not real comfortable with that but am doing it.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clubairth1

You do NOT want to save money on oil change. Factory 16k miles interval is largely due to euro regulations that discourage frequent oil changes which create hazardous materials and is not good for our engine, or in fact, any engine. It will definitely create sludge in your engine and will harm the performance in the near future.
3-5k miles is recommended on any high performance engines, especially if they are built with tight bearing clearances and oil passages such as Jag which claims to only work ideal with a thin grade of Xw20 at operating temperature. Every engine turn creates certain amounts of wear metals such as lead that accumulate to the point that oil filter element fails to protect the vehicle. That's when the rod bearing goes, along with the crankshaft and the rods resulting $$$.

I have my share of doubts though that Jag specified 20 grade oil mainly so that it improves fuel economy and not necessarily aimed at long term engine protection as many makers including BMW, Merc are heading towards the faster turnover of vehicles instead of building bullet proof vehicles like back in the 90s. But I'll leave it at that.

Back to the engine oil, Ford 925A in fact is a standard created more than a decade ago, and almost all current brand synthetic oils pass this certification. As long as you are sensible with choosing the right oil for your use (street or race), any brand oil should suffice. What's more important is the short interval as stated.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

I hope you can help?

No where can I find that the 925A spec is common or that ANY oil that does not have that spec on the label does indeed meet the spec.

Can you point me to where this is stated?
It's been a puzzle about why so few oils have this 925A spec listed?

I am not thrilled about the 16K interval either. But I am on old guy that came from 3K oil changes with non-synthetic oil.

I have to believe that Jaguar made this decision with the knowledge that the factory warranty would cover their products for up to 100K miles?

Old 11-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I know this is a hot topic for our cars but I have pretty much concluded that the reason we cant find all the answers we are looking for about these Ford "requirements" is that to some degree they were "made up" for our cars and no other oil company cares to pay for the testing to get 925A rating. I would bet all of the name brand 5W20 Synthetic oils meet or beat the requirement.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well I suspect that too! Any modern synthetic oil should be fine.

The real oil spec's are set by API grades. The manufactures "improve" on these spec's which of course have added testing requirements so not all oils will be able to say that meet that spec. But they would IF tested.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think someone should just ask JLR Engineering...so we can get to the answer.

I am sure other oils are fine for the engine and that's why people say use what ever your comfortable with. At the moment I have only had the JLR certified Castrol pro oil and my previous engine was replaced due to noise isssue (tech stated low engine oil pressure). I had the car CPO and previous owner had the free oil maintenance from the dealership so I think the car was maintained to spec.

Last edited by hen555; 11-04-2017 at 01:55 PM.