XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.

Im about to start on my second mod in as many years and Ive come to an in pass in my thoughts on design.

My first mod was an 06 SR which i did the following:
Mina gallery suspension, super charger pulley, stainless exhaust, KandN Filter upgrade. Blacked out EVERYTHING on the car except for the chrome leaper.

Move now to choices:

Option 1) 2009 XF Black with 20" black XFR rims, Eibach suspension kit, flat black leaper, flat black rear leaper, Blackpack grill, chrome lower grill blacked out and blacked out tail lights. Only chrome left on car is window trim, jaguar strip at back of car and jaguar logo on vents.

Option 2) 2009 Black XF with 20" Black XFR rims (i believe they are called cavellis?). Eibach suspension kit, chrome leaper, chrome mirrors, chrome door handles, chrome rear leaper, chrome vents, chrome lower grills, and of course chrome upper grill. Regular lights but switched to LED through out.

Any suggestions, preference of options, and other thoughts for my MOD are highly appreciated.

Thanks all and Ill forward pictures as we begin....

Last edited by racer9816; 10-15-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Id say a combination of both. Black pack grill and lower inserts. Leave the outer surround of the grill chrome and the leaper on the back. Tails would be ok to tint, but if you plan to paint your calipers red, leave the lights alone. I would def do the springs, if you decide to keep oem wheels than get some spacers. The stance will look way more aggressive. I wouldn't go any more than 20mm in the back and 15mm in front. I would upgrade all lights to LED and then look into some options on the headlights. I have been waiting for someone to do this. There is a video that surfaced of a black XFR in Russia that had modded headlights, it was posted a while back. As far a exhaust the Mina or Varex are both great options and I am torn between the two myself. Another thing that would make your XF different is Mina has a more exaggerated rear lip. I haven't seen it but Chris at Mina said they have one. He said he would email to me but haven't received. But keep it classy and aggressive.

Last edited by chXFS; 10-15-2012 at 10:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
racer9816 (10-28-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Too much of anything is no good. Balance!

I personally don't like the idea of blacking anything out - Jaguar looks the best giving off an ostentatious vibe.
Black rims - played out, not classy. Takes away from the shape of the car.
Tail lights - They look beautiful the way they are. Why pay money to buy a such a nice car and cover it all up. 100 feet away blacked out hundai senata and XF would look no different.

Chrome in all the wrong places looks very bad.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Too much of anything is no good. Balance!
+1

Black has its place, chrome has its place. Black on chrome is an excellent look (probably why I like black grills on XFs). But a Jag is not for 'murdering out.'

Cheers,

- Will

Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 PM

Thanks ALL,
We are going to try and keep it classy whil staying true to Jagguar whill adding some black effects to keep it from being too flashy.

BODY - We are starting with the windows and taillights this week. A light colored tint around the car windows (75%) with a semi transparent dark color for the tail lights.
have ordered a HID conversion kit for 6K lights.
Front Grill - Black grill with chrome trim, Front hood - Flat black leaper. Vents keep black with Chrome name badge. Door handles keep black. Rear of car. keep chrome strip and add matt black leaper.
Wheels - Stay with 20" cavallis with chrome finger tint on spokes. Am looking into the spacers. chXFS - Can you advise where I woudl get the spacers?
Suspension - Eibach Lowering springs

Interior - LED throughout in BLUE except for reading light. Looks very classy.
Two TVS on headrests with a TV Mirror which is a slave to the passenger DVD headrest. Went with OLD school Lamb carpet mats (Like the XJ) to match the beige / truffle colour.

Motor - KandN intake kit, Varex Exhaust.

Will send pictures as we go and looking for your feedback on things you like and don't like as we finish the mod.

Thanks a!l!!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Hello racer9816, H&R is what I would go with. There are many options such as mm size and how the bolt up. H&R offers about 4 different series. Here is a link with a 2010 XF lowered on H&R Springs and Spacers. It walks you through the whole process, springs, spacers, and even has pics and the finished look. GMP Gallery | 2010 Jaguar XF w/ H&R Springs, Spacers

Enjoy!

racer9816 (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 AM

It depends on the look you want...

Complete black with black grills will give it a sportier look... I like it too

I prefer black wheels with chrome around ... a bit of chrome around keeps that Jag look alive..

Check my pic out

Attached Thumbnails TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-dsc08978.jpg  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Your car looks great. Have you lowered it with performance springs? If so what kind and any problems with it I shoudl be aware of?
take care

Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 AM

I haven't lowered it. But i do have another car that was lowered and would not do it again. It looks great but the drive is rough. The supercharged is stiffer than the normal Jag and along with the low profile tires, I would not do it. I live in the northeast and the roads are horrible, i have blown tires hitting potholes in the past.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Njxfsc
I haven't lowered it. But i do have another car that was lowered and would not do it again. It looks great but the drive is rough. The supercharged is stiffer than the normal Jag and along with the low profile tires, I would not do it. I live in the northeast and the roads are horrible, i have blown tires hitting potholes in the past.
+1

The looks are absolutely not worth the trade off. No benefit of lowering, but there are a lot of disadvantages. If one thinks, it improves the handling, then they don't really know the car's limits.

The result of lowering is scraped undercarriage, damaged bumper covers. What i hated the most on my last lowered car, pulling out of inclined parking lots....... and pulling into traffic 5mph to avoid damage to the bottom, when cars were coming at me at 50mph.

Njxfsc, btw, your car looks stunning the way it sits.

Last edited by Executive; 10-17-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Njxfsc
It depends on the look you want...

Complete black with black grills will give it a sportier look... I like it too

I prefer black wheels with chrome around ... a bit of chrome around keeps that Jag look alive..

Check my pic out

What wheels and size are those? They look like Volans painted Black? 19 inch?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
+1

The looks are absolutely not worth the trade off. No benefit of lowering, but they are a lot of disadvantages. If one thinks, the it improves the handling, then they don't really know the car's limits.
+1

The lowered cars say to everyone in the know that the driver does not really care about street performance but is into looks. The same with the rattling license plate as it gets pushed around by the sub-woofer.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
What wheels and size are those? They look like Volans painted Black? 19 inch?
Volans 20" - I like the original wheel on it - The wheel has a lot of surface and thought it will look good in black... powder coated in satin black. 35 aspect ratio all around on the tires...

Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Default Black mod pictures attached!!

MOD UPDATE!
So its been a couple weeks since the original post, a ton of prep work, and alot of fun to put this car together. Ive also had the pleasure of driving it hard with NO Vancouver rain and I have to tell you the new suspension is very tight, smooth, and Im even happier with the performance than when I put Mina springs on my last Jaguar SR. Based on peoples feedback I went with chrome highlights to keep it classy while still hoping the car has retained a tough sporty look. I want to thank a ton of folks whom helped with these MODS and I want all to know that every mod done to this car was with information that I found on Jaguarforums.com - THANKS Jim! The only Mod done by an automotive professional was the springs and brakes. I completed the rest with info learned from this site!!
So whats been done and then to the pictures:
1) Suspension - Eibach springs, New Akibono Brake pads, and non dimpled / non slotted rotors. Yes the car had nice handling before this MOD but if I had to rate it would have been a "7" rating when stock and its now a "9". This is the BEST money Ive spent on this project ($400.00). The rotors and brakes were another $600.00 total expense $1000.00
2) Black and Chrome Front Grill - Adamesh $200.00 (second best expense I made as the new grill ads a ton of class to the car and is consistent with the chrome highlights I strove for.
3) Chrome door cups - Adamesh $50.00
4) Chrome lower front wings - Adamesh $50.00 (these dont stick well so I may return)
5) Reversed rear leaper - Adamesh $20.00
6) Side chrome flares - Adamaesh $100.00
7) Rear back up camera - $40.00
8) Re tinted all windows - $180.00
9) Rear head rest TVs - TVIEW 7 inch screens $304.30 These were also an awesome spend. They are touch screen, were easy to install and look factory. I wired them underneath teh center console to the cigarette lighter and used an RCA 2 into 1 plugged into the AUX cable so I get full stereo sound.
10) 10.5 inch TV / Nav/ Reverse camera Mirror - $90.00. This was my only real option for front TV viewing and a back up camera as the factory screen was over $4200.00 to install a new brain and screen (I didnt have the nav / dvd option on this car)
11) New LED or high output lighting - $180.00 - I did the front headlights, all interior, and license plate.
12) Aluminum racing pedals and footrest. $65.00 - These are on ebay and look amazing when installed. I had the jaguar factory chrome pedals installed ($120.00) and with out the XF foot rest they just didnt make a statement. Anyone looking for these in near new shape let me know and you can have mine for $40.00 although my recco is the aluminum ones on EBAY.
13) Kicker rear media box - $750.00 - This is surround sound for cars. With the expense of putting in the monitors I wanted to maximize my listening capacity and this is it! I no longer have to go to the movies. This car is the movie!

Therefore - Total cost so far - $3100.00. Im $100.00 over my target spend and I still have a few items to purchase
1) New floor mats with Jaguar embosse and trim in black - $90.00
2) Jaguar Leaper for hood - $100.00 YES Im sorry I know the car looks good with out the leaper but Im a bit old school and I love the leaper. To mix it up I may go with matte black.
3) KandN Kit, Vera Exhaust - $1200.00 - This has to wait as Ive done enough to tamper with my jag warranty and Im going to wait until the warranty runs out next summer before I complete. OK I probably wont wait but my car is in to get serviced next week and I want the Jag techs to go over my car and verify my mods don't effect the warranty first...

There you have it..... Now for the pictures and I hope you like it!

Attached Thumbnails TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-img_0871.jpg   TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-img_0870.jpg   TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-img_0869.jpg   TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-img_0868.jpg   TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-img_0867.jpg  

TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-img_0865.jpg   TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-img_0864.jpg   TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-img_0858.jpg   TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-img_0875.jpg   TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.-img_0873.jpg  

Last edited by racer9816; 10-28-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 AM

Looks real nice! Like how you incorporated chrome into your selena wheels...

Not a fan of the 10.5 screen up top but since you don't have dvd so that's the way to go i guess... For those who do have a dvd/nav - the attached option looks good - I am considering it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAGdar4XSLM

jlocc619 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM

Yeah, great looking car. I'm usually not a fan of black wheels, but the hint of chrome makes those look perfect IMO.

racer9816 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This look crazy!! I Love how the chrome stands out on the black.

racer9816 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I just saw your car on the H-WY down near Massey tunnel it looked soo much like the pictures.

It's a sick mod man.

racer9816 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 PM

Im not a huge fan of the 10.5 screen either but its the best I could research and not spend a fortune.... Long term I think Im gonna replace it

Old 11-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some things just look better left alone. Honestly, all u really need for ur best mod is a good paint/buff job. You'll be suprised if you just keep the paint buffed and clean how good the car stands out. Black wheels on a luxury car just don't look best to me. black wheels always look better on ur muscle cars IMO.

Quick Reply: TO Black or not to black ...That is the question.