XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

BRAVO Jaguar!! (Update on '10 XFR engine failure)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Lotus, are you using someone else's screen name?

But seriously Mark, very happy that you are going to be able to drive the car that you really love.
Not Lotus, that's why I put the sarcastic smilie at the end - I'm very happy for the entitled freeloader to use someone else's description...

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkN
Never once did I demand, threaten or even get rude with Jaguar; I simply shared my story and asked for help.
This is likely to have been an important factor in your successful
outcome.

MarkN (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Not Lotus, that's why I put the sarcastic smilie at the end - I'm very happy for the entitled freeloader to use someone else's description...
I know. I definitely got it

Old 11-15-2016, 07:26 AM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR

But seriously Mark, very happy that you are going to be able to drive the car that you really love.
THIS is what it was all about for me and what I tried to convey when I wrote to Jaguar.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkN
All - I am elated to share that Jaguar has offered me assistance in replacing my motor and has made me a customer for life.

In addition to being pleased with the outcome, both processes I went through; the original Jaguar USA case review and the subsequent executive case review were crisp and efficient. I dealt with live people, they committed to follow ups and always called me as promised - very impressive. They were polite, understanding and helpful.

Here's a few excepts from our email exchanges to support my comments:

Good afternoon Mr. Neadle,

Thank you for your correspondence to Jaguar Land Rover North America's XXXXXXXXXXXX. Your matter was forwarded to me for handling on his behalf. We are sorry to hear of the concerns you're experiencing with your vehicle, yet we are glad that you took the time to write to us.

Please rest assured that your matter will be investigated thoroughly. Your Executive Case # will be 80XXXXXXXX.

I would like to follow up with you shortly with my progress on your case.

Best Regards,

Good afternoon Mr. Neadle,

Just want to make sure that you've been contacted by your retailer with our offer of assistance? If there's anything else you need, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I hope you enjoy your Jaguar for many years to come.

Mr. Neadle,

It's truly my pleasure to assist you. I can see the love you have for your vehicle and my wish for you is that you enjoy her for many years to come. I want you and your family to have a happy holiday season with many blessings. I hope this is one of many to come for you.

Jaguar Land Rover North America has agreed to install a new motor so long as I pay $1,200. They anticipate being able to complete the job in about 2 weeks (1 week to get the engine and 1 week to install).

There's no transparency in either case review process so I am not privileged to most of what was said and done internally at Jaguar, but the fact that all repairs and maintenance were done at Jaguar and the documented history of issues and repairs (both pre and post warranty) likely contributed to their decision.

I am psyched that I will get my prized buggy back soon and am so impressed with how Jaguar handled me, and my case from start to finish. Never once did I demand, threaten or even get rude with Jaguar; I simply shared my story and asked for help. They responded in the best way possible and I feel great about being a proud Jaguar owner today.
Hey mark, I'm going through the same thing my SC V8 engine failed late June (3weeks after the CPO warranty expired). The dealership said they suspect a spun rod bearing. They quoted me at 41k for a new engine lol. The service advisor suggested getting the engine rebuilt elsewhere.

I've finally gotten out of a little financial slump I was in and I've saved up some money to fix my car.
Which is why I'm here. I was going to start a thread asking whether I should rebuild or just an engine swap but I came across your post.

Before I do I want to contact jag to see if there's anything they could do for me. Would you be able to give me their contact info?
Any and all help would be highly appreciated.-- one bummed cat owner

Old 11-15-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by 93905g
Hey mark, I'm going through the same thing my SC V8 engine failed late June (3weeks after the CPO warranty expired). The dealership said they suspect a spun rod bearing. They quoted me at 41k for a new engine lol. The service advisor suggested getting the engine rebuilt elsewhere.

I've finally gotten out of a little financial slump I was in and I've saved up some money to fix my car.
Which is why I'm here. I was going to start a thread asking whether I should rebuild or just an engine swap but I came across your post.

Before I do I want to contact jag to see if there's anything they could do for me. Would you be able to give me their contact info?
I am NOT a mechanic. I am REALLY good with a bottle of spray on detail and a vacuum. My cars are always spotless! I can also fill the gas and put air in the tires!

That being said, many people here and elsewhere asked why not rebuild versus replace. Both shops that had my car; independent and Jaguar thought replace was the way to go. I think you need a special craftsman with the proper tools and access to parts to rebuild and not sure how many exist. Bearings were an issue in my engine as well - but clueless if there's any other similarities or if they were in fact the same scenario. My Jaguar shop told me the new motor for the XFR retails around $40K so your estimate is right there.

I'd suggest opening a case with Jaguar; just as I did. They were amazingly pleasant to deal with and very efficient although I am sure they aren't always able to offer assistance. The dealer that sold me the car suggested this and the number they provided me was spot on: 1-800-452-4827. I have no tricks up my sleeve. I love my XFR and it's a way of life for me. I was devastated when she died and shared my love for the car, the fact that it's really not just a "car" to me and my predicament.

Good luck!!

Old 11-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 93905g

When you rebuild the engine, use just high quality pistons, piston rings, rod bolts and main bearings. DO NOT USE stock parts. They are junk. If you have problems to find supplier, contact Pavel @ pretuning.com. He knows exactly what we are talking about and provide you HIGH QUALITY parts. He can even rebuild your engine to the highest standard and he is not too expensive. Good luck.

PS. This in case you do not get new engine for very cheap price from Jaguar.

Last edited by XJR-99; 11-15-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 361 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-99
When you rebuild the engine, use just high quality pistons, piston rings, rod bolts and main bearings. DO NOT USE stock parts. They are junk. If you have problems to find supplier, contact Pavel @ pretuning.com. He knows exactly what we are talking about and provide you HIGH QUALITY parts. He can even rebuild your engine to the highest standard and he is not too expensive. Good luck.

PS. This in case you do not get new engine for very cheap price from Jaguar.
On that note I've personally seen this Superior Automotive Engineering - Line Bore, Cam Bore, Blueprinting, Dyno Tuning place do the same Aston Martin build shown in these videos, Talk to the owner Joe Jill. A quality Jag AJ rebuild should be no problem.

MarkN (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 08:43 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great news. Happy they took care of you.

MarkN (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Just an FYI the number for Jag NA if you're in Canada is 1 (800) 668-6257

MarkN (11-17-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 02:45 PM

Well, after 2.5 months I picked my car up today! I would say it has a "brand new" motor in it but no longer the case since I've logged around 15 miles

Looks and sounds more beautiful than the day it died (because I had my wheels reconditioned)

Just wanted to close this out and let you all know she's back in the garage resting comfortably and Jaguar was fantastic.

They did say they shipped the old motor out for root cause analyses. Not sure I'll find the end result but let them know I was curious.

The following 2 users liked this post by MarkN:
Bigg Will (12-20-2016), Norri (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Congrats again and happy driving
Which wheels do you have (I can't remember what year your car is) and what did you have done to the wheels? These low profile wheels seem quite prone to damage...

Old 12-20-2016, 06:45 AM

When I put new tires on recently they told me that all 4 wheels were bent (potholes most likely). AND, all 4 had curb rash (my bad!).

So, I had the straightened and cleaned up - here's a pic taken yesterday of her resting comfortably in the garage.

The following 2 users liked this post by MarkN:
Bigg Will (12-24-2016), Johncy2000 (01-07-2017)
Old 12-23-2016, 12:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That is fantastic that they stepped up and took care of you the way they should. The car looks amazing!! Enjoy!