XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Cooling System Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

The water pump is the same on the 3.0 and the 5.0.
Same part number.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't even begin to express how many times I've seen low mileage classics and eurocars that had less than 30k miles have major issues due to cooling issues. My opinion is every 10 years or 100k miles you should replace your entire cooling system, all lines, radiator, water pump, thermostat, all sensors, all emissions components and all fluids and filters. Sure some of those items may be good but the point of doing that is to buy yourself your next 10 years of trouble free service rather than have a major failure or pay someone to chase problems that end up costing just as much to find then just replacing everything at 10 years 100k.

I remember a few times I had 60's model Caddy's with under 10k miles overheat and cause damage. These were documented cars with under 10k actual miles. Of course these cars were 50 years old, but point was the owners had the mentality if it isn't broke don't fix it. Well good job with that thought process because now you have a blown engine and your engine is no longer the original engine absolutely killing the value in a classic. I've seen dozens and dozens of these cars fail from cooling issues. This doesn't seem to be a brand specific issue either, it seems to be across the board.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by High Mileage Jaguar
I can't even begin to express how many times I've seen low mileage classics and eurocars that had less than 30k miles have major issues due to cooling issues. My opinion is every 10 years or 100k miles you should replace your entire cooling system, all lines, radiator, water pump, thermostat, all sensors, all emissions components and all fluids and filters. Sure some of those items may be good but the point of doing that is to buy yourself your next 10 years of trouble free service rather than have a major failure or pay someone to chase problems that end up costing just as much to find then just replacing everything at 10 years 100k.

I remember a few times I had 60's model Caddy's with under 10k miles overheat and cause damage. These were documented cars with under 10k actual miles. Of course these cars were 50 years old, but point was the owners had the mentality if it isn't broke don't fix it. Well good job with that thought process because now you have a blown engine and your engine is no longer the original engine absolutely killing the value in a classic. I've seen dozens and dozens of these cars fail from cooling issues. This doesn't seem to be a brand specific issue either, it seems to be across the board.
What I have been saying for a while on here.

When it comes to cars, make sure everything is ok with your cooling and oiling systems, and you will be a happy owner. If not, you're screwed.

The following users liked this post:
High Mileage Jaguar (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

I fully understand what you're saying, and pretty much agree with you. However, as I stated in post #1, to replace everything, in a modern car's cooling system, ESPECIALLY a Jaguar, is a very expensive proposition. I can't seem to find a website that lists ALL of the hoses/piping for my 2009, n/a, 4.2 engine, XF's cooling system, but what I do see appears to be around $400 worth of hoses....above and beyond the $175 I just spent for the crossover pipe/thermostat housing and related gaskets/seals that I just bought and installed. It can get quite expensive, simply replacing everything on a timetable, "just because". As I also mentioned in post #1, it IS something that I would do, in the past, on any of the domestic cars I previously owned, because the "peace of mind" it provided, cost about $50, and 2 hours worth of time. Again, nowhere near the same for a modern Jaguar. And another consideration for me, is with a car that's being driven through winters, and the use of salt on the roads, which attacks the car's structure, how much money do you throw at a car that may be replaced after 10-12 years, regardless of mileage?

I know that Jags aren't in an abundant number, here in the US, but they do seem to be in reasonable numbers around the world. Given that, I'm surprised that the aftermarket hasn't come up with a replacement set of hoses made from silicone. I also have a 2001 Chevy Corvette in my "family fleet", and it isn't as numerous as a Nissan or Toyota, either, yet the aftermarket offers a molded hose set in silicone, for this car. I installed a set of these hoses in my Corvette, about 7-8 years ago, when the car was 10 years old, and most likely, these "high end" hoses will last for the remaining life of the car. FWIW, when I installed these hoses, I also eliminated the metal hose clamps, and used Gates "Power Grip" clamps. They're like a large diameter piece of "shrink tubing". They work quite well, and don't risk damage to the hoses.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I fully understand what you're saying, and pretty much agree with you. However, as I stated in post #1, to replace everything, in a modern car's cooling system, ESPECIALLY a Jaguar, is a very expensive proposition. I can't seem to find a website that lists ALL of the hoses/piping for my 2009, n/a, 4.2 engine, XF's cooling system, but what I do see appears to be around $400 worth of hoses....above and beyond the $175 I just spent for the crossover pipe/thermostat housing and related gaskets/seals that I just bought and installed. It can get quite expensive, simply replacing everything on a timetable, "just because". As I also mentioned in post #1, it IS something that I would do, in the past, on any of the domestic cars I previously owned, because the "peace of mind" it provided, cost about $50, and 2 hours worth of time. Again, nowhere near the same for a modern Jaguar. And another consideration for me, is with a car that's being driven through winters, and the use of salt on the roads, which attacks the car's structure, how much money do you throw at a car that may be replaced after 10-12 years, regardless of mileage?

I know that Jags aren't in an abundant number, here in the US, but they do seem to be in reasonable numbers around the world. Given that, I'm surprised that the aftermarket hasn't come up with a replacement set of hoses made from silicone. I also have a 2001 Chevy Corvette in my "family fleet", and it isn't as numerous as a Nissan or Toyota, either, yet the aftermarket offers a molded hose set in silicone, for this car. I installed a set of these hoses in my Corvette, about 7-8 years ago, when the car was 10 years old, and most likely, these "high end" hoses will last for the remaining life of the car. FWIW, when I installed these hoses, I also eliminated the metal hose clamps, and used Gates "Power Grip" clamps. They're like a large diameter piece of "shrink tubing". They work quite well, and don't risk damage to the hoses.
Go to parts.com to see the parts for your cooling system.

If you don't want to change the plastic, that's your choice. It's also your choice to play Russian roulette with 5 bullets in a 6 bullet chamber. Let us know how that goes?

Last edited by lotusespritse; 10-22-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 AM

To find a list of parts I go on Jaguar Palm Beaches website for the diagrams of parts. My local dealer charges me less so I buy locally, but use the website to know what I need.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Go to parts.com to see the parts for your cooling system.

If you don't want to change the plastic, that's your choice. It's also your choice to play Russian roulette with 5 bullets in a 6 bullet chamber. Let us know how that goes?
If you're directing that comment to me, apparently you sort of "glossed over" posts #15, 17, and 24, where I pointed out that I just changed the plastic crossover pipe assemble in my car. What I was expressing, was my frustration with the myriad of hoses that make up the cooling system of this car. I realize that today's cars, for some reason, have more complication than 60s and 70s cars, that had 1 molded upper radiator hose, 1 molded lower radiator hose, and 2 heater hoses that are cut from bulk rubber hose. It seems, however, that the Jaguar engineers have gone overboard in designing in more cost and complication than necessary.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

If you're directing that comment to me, apparently you sort of "glossed over" posts #15, 17, and 24, where I pointed out that I just changed the plastic crossover pipe assemble in my car. What I was expressing, was my frustration with the myriad of hoses that make up the cooling system of this car. I realize that today's cars, for some reason, have more complication than 60s and 70s cars, that had 1 molded upper radiator hose, 1 molded lower radiator hose, and 2 heater hoses that are cut from bulk rubber hose. It seems, however, that the Jaguar engineers have gone overboard in designing in more cost and complication than necessary.
It's not just Jag. A lot of car companies are putting all this plastic into the cooling system. Changing one piece at a time as it fails is risking your engine and costing a lot more time/effort/money. Once one piece fails, it's telling you all the plastic is reaching it's useful life in the cooling system. And all the plastic is made of the same stuff and formed the same way. We can complain about it, but the fact remains this plastic is in these cars, and it can't be replaced with metal for anything less than 5-6 figures of custom metal work, so my point is change all the plastic before it ruins your day. Just one little piece breaking causes the cooling system to lose pressure. When pressure decreases, the boiling point of the coolant also decreases. When the boiling point decreases of the coolant by going through the very hot cylinder heads, that coolant boils and turns to vapor, which means you have lost cooling of the aluminum heads. When you lose cooling of the aluminum heads, they warp and or drop valve seats, and eventually the whole engine seizes, often before the driver even notices there's an issue because they were busy texting or talking on the phone. Then you will have to scrap your car because it will cost more to fix than it's worth after an engine change.

You can think your car is different and better than everyone else's and your plastic coolant pipes will last forever, but they won't. When exactly will they break? Not sure, but also not sure when you will die if you keep playing Russian Roulette.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 10-23-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:30 PM

It's not just Jag. A lot of car companies are putting all this plastic into the cooling system. Changing one piece at a time as it fails is risking your engine and costing a lot more time/effort/money. Once one piece fails, it's telling you all the plastic is reaching it's useful life in the cooling system. And all the plastic is made of the same stuff and formed the same way. We can complain about it, but the fact remains this plastic is in these cars, and it can't be replaced with metal for anything less than 5-6 figures of custom metal work, so my point is change all the plastic before it ruins your day. Just one little piece breaking causes the cooling system to lose pressure. When pressure decreases, the boiling point of the coolant also decreases. When the boiling point decreases of the coolant by going through the very hot cylinder heads, that coolant boils and turns to vapor, which means you have lost cooling of the aluminum heads. When you lose cooling of the aluminum heads, they warp and or drop valve seats, and eventually the whole engine seizes, often before the driver even notices there's an issue because they were busy texting or talking on the phone. Then you will have to scrap your car because it will cost more to fix than it's worth after an engine change.

You can think your car is different and better than everyone else's and your plastic coolant pipes will last forever, but they won't. When exactly will they break? Not sure, but also not sure when you will die if you keep playing Russian Roulette.
I have to agree on this...it really is a logical approach to the issue with modern cars. Go look at a decade old Volvo. The plastic is crumbling everywhere.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

It's not just Jag. A lot of car companies are putting all this plastic into the cooling system. Changing one piece at a time as it fails is risking your engine and costing a lot more time/effort/money. Once one piece fails, it's telling you all the plastic is reaching it's useful life in the cooling system. And all the plastic is made of the same stuff and formed the same way.

OK, since you seem to continue to direct your comments at me, answer this....Besides the coolant crossover, which I've mentioned a couple of times that I replaced, what else in the coolant routing system is plastic? And NO, I don't things last forever, even the entire car will need replacement at some point in time......and also NO, I don't think my car is better than anyone else's, however it IS a well cared for, low mileage car.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

OK, since you seem to continue to direct your comments at me, answer this....Besides the coolant crossover, which I've mentioned a couple of times that I replaced, what else in the coolant routing system is plastic? And NO, I don't things last forever, even the entire car will need replacement at some point in time......and also NO, I don't think my car is better than anyone else's, however it IS a well cared for, low mileage car.
Look up mine and other DIY threads on here. I listed part numbers and lots of pics. Just because you change your engine oil regularly, pump up the tires, and vacuum the carpets frequently doesn't mean that plastic isn't heat cycling every time you drive the car and bringing it closer to failure every time.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Look up mine and other DIY threads on here. I listed part numbers and lots of pics. Just because you change your engine oil regularly, pump up the tires, and vacuum the carpets frequently doesn't mean that plastic isn't heat cycling every time you drive the car and bringing it closer to failure every time.
Thanks again, for yet another post of totally useless information.....

Old 11-07-2018, 07:21 AM

I think you're taking it the wrong way. I think Lotusespritse is trying to give you good information and his logic behind his thoughts. I find that helps because often times dealers have no clue what is going on with cars especially as they age. Dealers see less aged cars than they do newer cars because most are not willing to bring a car into the dealership and pay the exaggerated costs for repair, so when they say "we haven't seen A or B" take that with a grain of salt.

Lotus brings up some great points and honestly its people like him you really should pay attention too because his logic is sound, and there is quite a bit of validity in what he says. I'm one of those that sometimes debates people to see if their logic stands on its own, if it does then I listen. It seems what he's saying about the cooling system makes sense.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

I think you're taking it the wrong way. I think Lotusespritse is trying to give you good information and his logic behind his thoughts. I find that helps because often times dealers have no clue what is going on with cars especially as they age. Dealers see less aged cars than they do newer cars because most are not willing to bring a car into the dealership and pay the exaggerated costs for repair, so when they say "we haven't seen A or B" take that with a grain of salt.

Lotus brings up some great points and honestly its people like him you really should pay attention too because his logic is sound, and there is quite a bit of validity in what he says. I'm one of those that sometimes debates people to see if their logic stands on its own, if it does then I listen. It seems what he's saying about the cooling system makes sense.
I understand what you're saying...BUT, here's the way I see it. I asked a simple question, that being, what parts, other than the crossover pipe/thermostat housing, which I just replaced, are plastic. What I expected was a courteous, helpful mention that A, B, and C are plastic parts, and probably should be replaced. What I did NOT expect, or ask for, is a lecture about taking risks with aging parts, and/or simply because I "change the oil regularly, pump up the tires, and vacuum the carpets regularly, doesn't mean that the plastic parts aren't heat cycling"....NO KIDDING!!! I've been on this earth far long enough to understand that. I simply was looking for a specific mention of what parts are plastic. That did not occur.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:37 PM

I understand what you're saying...BUT, here's the way I see it. I asked a simple question, that being, what parts, other than the crossover pipe/thermostat housing, which I just replaced, are plastic. What I expected was a courteous, helpful mention that A, B, and C are plastic parts, and probably should be replaced. What I did NOT expect, or ask for, is a lecture about taking risks with aging parts, and/or simply because I "change the oil regularly, pump up the tires, and vacuum the carpets regularly, doesn't mean that the plastic parts aren't heat cycling"....NO KIDDING!!! I've been on this earth far long enough to understand that. I simply was looking for a specific mention of what parts are plastic. That did not occur.
It's all a matter of perspective. It took me many years but I realized so often in my past I read completely wrong into things and overreacted. A forum such as this is good because you get good information and sometimes the logic behind that information. He tried to give you both. If you don't like the info he gave or the way he said it why not just say "anyone else have info" or something along those lines rather than get offended? Seriously he doesn't owe you, or me or anyone anything. None of us do. But we are here because we share a similar interest. Drama is what drives people away from forums. This one seems the best because it seems like there's less of the drama you see on other sites. Let's keep it that way by not driving away members that actually take the time to contribute.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

It's all a matter of perspective. It took me many years but I realized so often in my past I read completely wrong into things and overreacted. A forum such as this is good because you get good information and sometimes the logic behind that information. He tried to give you both. If you don't like the info he gave or the way he said it why not just say "anyone else have info" or something along those lines rather than get offended? Seriously he doesn't owe you, or me or anyone anything. None of us do. But we are here because we share a similar interest. Drama is what drives people away from forums. This one seems the best because it seems like there's less of the drama you see on other sites. Let's keep it that way by not driving away members that actually take the time to contribute.
I agree with you, 100%, but your last sentence, especially, works both ways. I though that I asked a basic question, and thought that I could get a simple answer. Instead, I get one individual just busting my chops. I didn't ask for drama, either, but that's what I seem to be getting, and yes, it will probably drive me away......

Old 11-08-2018, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with you, 100%, but your last sentence, especially, works both ways. I though that I asked a basic question, and thought that I could get a simple answer. Instead, I get one individual just busting my chops. I didn't ask for drama, either, but that's what I seem to be getting, and yes, it will probably drive me away......
You just have a bad attitude in your old age. I have answered your question by pointing you to the resources, but you're either too lazy or not intelligent enough to go to those resources. As High Mileage eloquently said, I owe you nothing at all, so the fact that you have "expectations" of me is idiotic. I hope your bad attitude results in a blown engine for you.