XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Day/nite Nav display

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Day/nite Nav display

I just discovered a solution to a trivial mystery that's bothered me for 3-1/2 years. Just in case it's of interest to anyone else:

The NAV display changes to "night" when it gets dark while driving, and when I start up in the garage, just like it's supposed to. Occasionally though, if I stop while driving at night, when I re-start the display reverts to "day". I've driven as long as an hour in the dark with the "day" display. A few weeks ago, I tried turning the headlights off and on when this happened, and the display returned to "night". Seems to fix it every time. (I know I could change the display setting, but a PITA and would then want to change it back to auto the next day.)

Old 12-20-2015, 01:00 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

I set my headlights to OFF and don't depend on the light of day to turn them off/on, I turn them on at night manually...I keep it out of AUTO..My NAVI display is always at the correct level for the lighting conditions...never has been a problem.

The following users liked this post:
Dick (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Mine is in auto headlamps and never had this issue.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have my satnav set to night display as I find the day setting way too bright.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Similar issue I cannot dim he night display for nav or other screens alsothe center info screen on the instrument panel. The dimmer for the lights only dims the center controls and door lighting
The screens are very bright at night
Any idea if these can be dimmed? I have 2012 portfolio

Old 12-24-2015, 03:57 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I maybe over simplifying the obvious and also assuming you have a NAV touch screen equipped dash..

Navigate as follows:

1. Turn car system ON (this requires smart key fob to be in the car with you) with a press of the Red Start Button (do not depress brake pedal as this will initiate an engine start)..unless you want to...then have garage door open to ventilate CO emissions, unless this problem is so depressing, then leave garage door closed and roll down windows....Breathe deeply.

2. Set NAV screen to 'Main Menu' display by pressing "MENU" button which is located just above the Heating and cooling controls.

3. Touch the tab that says; 'SETUP' do not press the screen as though you want to drive your finger past the second knuckle through the screen.

4. Touch the tab that says "SCREEN".

5. Touch the tab that says "THEME".

6. You can select from the following three options at this point: Choose wisely...
LIGHT--DARK--AUTO

I chose AUTO and life is good.

7. Return to your MAIN MENU screen by touching the RETURN tab (it looks like an arrow doing a 'U' turn) in the upper left hand corner of the screen..

or Just Press the MENU button again as you did the first time.

said with much humor...

Happy Trails

Last edited by DPK; 12-24-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:49 PM

thanks for the reply. I have all these set in Auto. But at night in Dark mode, the display is still too bright. Both on the center nav screen and the center TFT screen in the instrument panel. The interior lighting dimmer doesnt adjust these 2 screens

Old 12-27-2015, 04:26 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Okay, serious now..

Does your display change form day to night setting when it get's dark out?..I get it, that you think it is too bright..but is there a discrete change?

My screen goes to a black background at night...I don't know if you can change the intensities as they are probably digitally set..

Your other lite light control has no control over the NAV screen or your DIC display.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:53 AM

yes it does change when dark out

Old 11-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an older thread but must bought my 07 XK in Sept 2019. Everything is set in auto mode and so far, no problems.