XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Drove 2012 XF Portfolio and XFR...impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Drove 2012 XF Portfolio and XFR...impressions

This week I tried both at Grand Touring in downtown Toronto, expecting to prefer the higher performance version, and the longer term appeal that usually provides me. I was surprised when I found that I preferred the Portfolio version, and I'm hoping you guys and gals will share your perspectives. I can only buy one, and the professional salesperson there will have earned my business.

I preferred the Portfolio's front fascia, with tasteful lower intake grills with sculptured chrome bars setting them off, and chrome main grill. The XFR's larger and more aggressive intakes seemed to take away a bit from the look, particularly with one being non-functional and blacked off. Place a steering, oil, or tranny cooler there, or an intercooler, but a blocked off plastic nothing???

At the other end is the smallest trunk spoiler lip I've ever seen adhered with double-sided tape I think, as opposed to a revised trunk lid with integral spoiler shaped trailing edge formed. Now I know I'm more of a "form follows function" guy, and spent way too many years lapping race tracks in cars with functional designs to enhance performance, so these "R" cosmetics didn't impress.

The last gripe is the intrusive bolsters on either side of the drivers seat cushion that don't allow enough room for your thighs to fit between them to be comfortable or effective (and I'm not that wide), but rather bulge up into your thighs. And every aspect of the seat is adjustable except for those darn things. The obvious intent would be to keep you from sliding around in the seat, but the Porfolio's excellent seat seemed like it would be a better place regardless of lateral g's.

I was very impressed with the ride quality and solid feel of both over the rough downtown roads, and that's a particular acheivement for the XFR given its higher handling limits. I preferred the higher equipment level on the XFR as well, and I could overlook my cosmetic gripes, but I'm concerned that the drivers seat would be a constant annoyance. Maybe if I got down to 150 lbs I might fit better!

Bruce

Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
The XFR's larger and more aggressive intakes seemed to take away a bit from the look, particularly with one being non-functional and blacked off. Place a steering, oil, or tranny cooler there, or an intercooler, but a blocked off plastic nothing???
Both sides were open on previous XFR but they blocked off one side this year to improve aerodynamics.

Are you looking to lease or buy? Did they quote you any kind of numbers? I'm thinking about a XFR as my next car but trying to find pricing guidance is pretty difficult.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Both sides were open on previous XFR but they blocked off one side this year to improve aerodynamics.
I heard that one too

Are you looking to lease or buy? Did they quote you any kind of numbers? I'm thinking about a XFR as my next car but trying to find pricing guidance is pretty difficult.
I'll purchase and was quoted msrp $86,900, less 1,500 discount, plus heated windshield and red calipers. Add Green fee, PDI, registration fee, freight, documentation fee, A/C tax, Tire Stewardship fee, licence fee and 13% for sales taxes and we come in at a cool $101,116.09. Say it quick and it doesn't sound like a lot! I'll get other quotes before accepting this one.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 09-29-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I like all you reasoning. I elected to bring a 10 SC in from the states. With about 30k km on it I was landed and tax in for about 53K CDN. It has all the high end trim goodies and e-diff as well as 470 HP which is damn close to the R. I on the other hand wish I could adjust the bolsters in a bit as the standard seats are a tad bench like. LOVE the car though.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I recall the X Type sport seats had a similar problem with the cushion bolsters.

If your body shape doesn't fit the XFR seats then don't buy one, you will regret it.

Europeans like sport seats that hold you firmly but they rarely drive for more than 2 hours at stretch. North Americans regard 2 hour drives as short trips.

I have the base model 2009 XF with the flat seats, even flatter than the Portfolio seats you are looking at. They are perfectly adequate for any street driving you might be able to do over here. Only if I tracked the car (tracked an XF??? why?) would there be any reason to get seats with more support. The Portfolio seats are the equivalent of the XF SC seats when the XF first came out. They are more than enough for any street driving you might want to do.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

You make a good point on bolsters Jagular....they can be quite intrusive and I have to say that I haven't felt like I was sliding around on twisty roads. That said, adjustable, even manual, would fit the bill quite well.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

I think I've read every published review of the '12 XFR and never saw a comment about the seat bolsters, and I do believe I might not be able to tolerate them over time. Good advice Jagular...I won't buy it. Too bad only the XFR has the 510 hp motor in Canada...not that 385 hp isn't more than enough.

Bruce

Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I really haven't noticed an issue with the seat base bolsters being at all narrow - and I am of at least average build with wider than average "cyclist" thighs! I love the seats in the XFR and found the base model seats laughably unsupportive even in normal cornering. I see that the '12 models have improved seats though, so it probably is less of an issue now. The SC is more than fast enough, I agree on that point. I had the same dilemma but I buy cars with my heart as well as my head so the XFR won through. I knew that in an SC I would always feel like I still wanted the XFR.

My 2011 XFR has the blanked out intake too, by the way, so it must have been an '11 MY change. A bit pathetic on a car of this performance to have fake intakes!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

New seats in the 2012 Base and Portfolio are terrific - no complaints. I went with the Portfolio and the seats adjust in about every imaginable position one would need. The Lumbar is fantastic and even the headrests adjust up and down with the power buttons. The seats don't hug as much as they keep you firmly in the cockpit. I attached a couple pictures but it may still be difficult to see the improvement Jaguar made unless you sit/drive the new model.

Attached Thumbnails Drove 2012 XF Portfolio and XFR...impressions-jaguar-xf-2012-9-22-11-007-medium-.jpg   Drove 2012 XF Portfolio and XFR...impressions-jaguar-xf-2012-9-22-11-008-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darlo
My 2011 XFR has the blanked out intake too, by the way, so it must have been an '11 MY change. A bit pathetic on a car of this performance to have fake intakes!
Only one of the side intakes on Mercedes AMG cars is "real" too. My neighbour has a C63 and a S63 and on both cars the right side intake is just a blank plastic panel.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I feel better about that now. A C63 was a close alternative to the XFR when i was looking.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

I had the same dilemma but I buy cars with my heart as well as my head so the XFR won through. I knew that in an SC I would always feel like I still wanted the XFR.
My heart says '09 Maserati Quattroporte S for devastating and enduring beauty, an exhaust sound that's to die for, and all for the same price as a new XFR,

My head says if the motor or tranny goes on that it'll cost as much as a new base XF to repair,

My wife says just thinking about the XKR Coupe makes her want to tear off my clothes,

And the collector in me says the smart money has to go straight into the XKR convertible.

And then there's my respected track buddies that say the new C63 AMG Coupe or CTS-V to feed my need for speed...on track ocassionally.

I'm naturally most inclined to pleasure my gal with the XKR Coupe, but it's so close in looks to the Toyota Supra TT I already have that I'd have to get my head around selling it...my favorite track car!

We should call Ian and suggest he design brake ducting or something useful for it before all the Civic guys with monster chrome mufflers and giant wings start laughing at us!

Bruce

Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Tranny on the Maser is exactly the same unit from ZF, different software maybe, perhaps different ratios but the same gearbox. Cost should be the same, yeah right!

Engines do not compare for grunt. The Ferrari based (but bent crank) V8 has lots of power but torque is about the same as the XF naturally aspirated. Nobody can build a naturally aspirated engine that compares to a supercharged one. The XFR is stupendous power plant and as it comes in the XFR isn't even stretched as the new S version in the XKR is even more powerful.

As for seats, everybody's behind has its own preference. However, "supportive" seats can be a real pita (literally sometimes) for ordinary street driving. Nobody actually needs the kind of side support some seats deliver while driving legally on the street.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really haven't noticed an issue with the seat base bolsters being at all narrow - and I am of at least average build with wider than average "cyclist" thighs! I love the seats in the XFR and found the base model seats laughably unsupportive even in normal cornering. I see that the '12 models have improved seats though, so it probably is less of an issue now. The SC is more than fast enough, I agree on that point. I had the same dilemma but I buy cars with my heart as well as my head so the XFR won through. I knew that in an SC I would always feel like I still wanted the XFR.

+1.

Honestly, our Honda minivan has better side bolsters than the XF. I just came from a BMW that had adjustable bosters and am still getting accustomed to the XF seats. Now I just remember to grip steering harder when making hard cornering turns.

The nice pics of the 2012 seats there in another post look like better seats.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Left hand drive cars have a dead pedal, with the automatic you can easily keep yourself in the seat with that.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Okay...get this...everybody, including Jaguar says that the 2010 XFR had functional air inlets on both sides....BUT my 2010 XFR only has a functional inlet only on the passenger side. The drivers side inlet is capped black plastic behind the grating....what's up with that??

My car was built in 7/09...so it's definitely not a later build...

Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up a 2012 Jaguar XFR (Rhodium Gray) and I would say that it has a lot more pep than my 2010 XF Portfolio. The seats are improved from my old XF. Definitely looks meaner and more streamlined...and more concept-like as well.