XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

grinding noise while making left turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default grinding noise while making left turn

help please .getting a noise (grinding) when making only a left turn ,20-40 mph only under acceleration. have lots of people ride in car and they all say noise seems to be coming from front left. I think it is coming from rear left. any suggestions. thanks in advance

Old 10-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

What year/model do you have? Could be e-diff. How loud is the noise?

Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

+1 on possible differential noise, but could also be the left front wheel bearing if the noise goes away whilst turning to the right.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I suspect a wheel bearing also. Actually, I am hoping that it is that simple for your sake. Either way, you should get a tech to inspect the wheel bearings visually anyway. Something that serious may pose a safety issue.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

If you suspect a wheel bearing, jack the suspected corner till the wheel is off the ground an inch or so, then grab the tire at 12 and 6 and see if you can make it wobble. Spin it 1/4 turn and check again. If you can budge it with meager human strength, then that would confirm that its wheel bearing related. Now that's not a definitive test, it could still have grit in the bearing or something and still be tight, but that will tell you if its worn to the point of excessive play or if something like a spindle nut (or even lug nuts) has come loose.

I've also seen situations on other cars where a loose or bent brake dust shield would rub on the rotor only when turning a certain way. While you've got it jacked up, if its not obviously the wheel bearing, take the wheel off and inspect all the nuts and bolts and fasteners and rubber bushings. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock and make sure everything is staying put and not moving around to where things rub together. Also check the thickness of the brake pads and that any shims or anti-rattle clips are firmly in place.

I'm new to the X250 so I don't know what all is in there yet, but I know from many other cars that anything wears down, comes loose or gets bent can make all sorts of noises. Looking for loose, worn and bent parts under each wheel well is not something you have to be a trained mechanic to do so even if you wind up taking it to a mechanic later, you'll be better prepared when he tries to sell you on a bunch of extra repairs you don't actually need.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Check the fender well for rubbing. My dads did this , bc he went with a slightly taller tire.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

car is a 2009 xf supercharged. bought it as theft recovery with 150 k miles .was in state of serious neglect when I received it .passenger side leak on diff. wheel studs on both front passenger side and rear drivers side .front passenger suspension arm (dogbone) bent .all these have been repaired -----I have taken the front drivers wheel apart 'changed coil/shock with a spare I had .even replaced both large bushes on the front forward suspension arms (boomarangs) .I examined the dr front bearing and it seams good to me ---maybe I should try new bearing 1st --just seems that when I make a left turn I'm taking any load off of it -----thanks