XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

I have a 2010 Jaguar with a wire harness issue and I'm mad about it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Compared to 4.0L engines self destructing due to design issues of cam chain tensioners, a wiring issue with a trunk lid is indeed minor.
Wow. I'm truly sorry to hear about that issue. Hopefully Jaguar is working with you to resolve this issue. This is what a forum should be about. We the owners of these wonderfull cars should help one another by banding together. Our collective voice has more leverage and we should use it to influence Jaguar to do right by its customers.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Didn't affect me, I have a 4.2L which featured improved tensioners. It took Jag 3(?) design iterations to get it right though.

I don't know of any support offered to affected owners of the 4.0L engines once past the warranty period. This is all ancient history ending in 2002.

Current engine suffer from water pump problems as you probably know. No support for those owners past the warranty period.

See the trend

Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

It's not a big or difficult job to repair or replace the boot loom, see here for a comprehensive "how to": http://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.ph...d-to-Boot-Loom

Old 07-23-2017, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the issue with "trunk open" remaining on dashboard after closing...so i have to slam the trunk "very hard" to remove it

Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
It's not a big or difficult job to repair or replace the boot loom, see here for a comprehensive "how to": How to Change Boot Lid to Boot Loom
Wow! This is informative. Thanks for sharing. It will take a while to go through the threads but it hits bright at the heart of my situation. Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Didn't affect me, I have a 4.2L which featured improved tensioners. It took Jag 3(?) design iterations to get it right though.

I don't know of any support offered to affected owners of the 4.0L engines once past the warranty period. This is all ancient history ending in 2002.

Current engine suffer from water pump problems as you probably know. No support for those owners past the warranty period.

See the trend
Already replaced the water pump it was costly but necessary. Meaning, really can't drive without it. Thanks for responding.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2010xfjag
i have the issue with "trunk open" remaining on dashboard after closing...so i have to slam the trunk "very hard" to remove it
Hercules, just kidding. Probably should have someone look at that before some real damage is done. The issue that myself and others have had with the trunk light staying on is electrical sounds like your is mechanical. Thanks for responding.

The following users liked this post:
2010xfjag (07-23-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Guess what your abs wheel speed sensors link leads and the steering wheel cassette wires will also break with time. Just like any other moving wire, bending flexing etc will eventually cause it to break. Regardless of who built the harness or how its run. Maybe it should all be bluetooth wiresless instead since we all know how reliable those connections are.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

While we're moaning about electrical issues, SWMBOs just recently out of warranty Beemer had no rear park lamps. All four were out (?)

Turns out they are LED, not incandescent lamps. No repairs offered, no separate parts available, just complete tail lens assemblies at over $300 a piece, plus 2 hrs labour.

Also turns that this is a VERY common issue on this car. No extended warranty, no support from BMW. Nothing.

Also also turns out that the fault is with a cold solder joint on the control board- a 5 minute fix per assembly. I am SWMBOs hero, if just for one day.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Never had the problem - but can understand your frustration. However recalls are always debatable even for design flaws. As an example I have a boat anchor Durango Hemi on my drive way. Dodge would not do a recall to fix a $250 job on a window/engine rubber, also they would not notify anyone of the fix - not even warn you. So what happens when the sealer erodes well, water runs down the windshield on to your engine and the inlet sucks it in you then throw a rod. This can happen at 30K miles in a car wash !

However I do have recall from Mazda to fix something on the trunk cable - very similar to your pain : nice of mazda. I also have airbag recalls and other **** to deal with

Last edited by bollocsk187; 07-27-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Max's dream car
My wire harness is trash. The design, improper routing, or perhaps the wire harness manufacturer went cheap on the insulation. At this point I don't really care, I just don't think a 2010 Jaguar XF should be having this issue. I've owned a Tahoe for 20 years and never had an issue with the wire harness so I wouldnt think that Jaguar should either. If there are others of you out there who have had an issue with their wire harness i.e. wires breaking let's join together to make some noise. Perhaps we can get Jaguar to take responsibility and fix this issue. I have a 2010 XF with a wire harness issue and I'm mad are you?
I have a 4.2L 2010 XF and the Boot open light just came on today. Thanks to the Forum I checked the wiring harnesses and it is probably toast - two broken wires and hard to find the other ends to solder and many withe bare wire showing. I will have to replace or have it replaced. Any suggestions on how hard a job this is and where to get the harness?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-11-2020, 07:12 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

My 2010 had the same issue (which is actually a common one) and I completed a quick patch until the loom cam in for replacement, actually a simple fix and allowed me to update the license plate lights at the same time.

If there ever was a wishful recall, I would vote for the dash replacement. That is the most annoying and poorly representing statement Jaguar ever can leave as everyone who sees it can not believe this is acceptable for a manufacturer such as Jaguar.