XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

iPod Connection doesn't charge iPod

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default iPod Connection doesn't charge iPod

I have a 2010 XF LUX, I have noticed that the iPod connection in the center console is not charging the iPod, is this normal? I used to have a BMW with the iPod connection in the glove box and it used to keep the iPod charged all the time.
I went to play something off the iPod today and because it had been left connected it was completely dead, I had to take the iPod into the house and charge it up.

Do I have a bad connection which is draining the iPod or is this normal?

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 PM

35 views and no replies, interesting!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

well, I viewed but don't have an answer. I hooked up an iPod last week for the first time and it didn't charge but don't know what's normal.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

which ipod do you have the new nano will not charged and 2nd gen itouch will not charged.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Won't charge

Apple in their autocratic wisdom decided to change the connections on the iPod/Touch without telling anyone. So if you have one of these late generation versions you need a widget that will allow you to play and charge at the same time. There has been a thread on this, either on this forum or another.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Thanks for your input guys, the iPod we are using in the car is not the touch version, I'm not sure what you call this version, it's the one just before Apple launched the touch versions. it is a real pain in the a** having to keep taking it back into the house to charge it.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default This is what you need

I bought this Scosche adaptor and it works perfectly

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS...co=MTA4NDYxMDU

Old 08-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef

Ah, yes, I have a Schoshe adapter somewhere that I used in my old car. Just gotta find it. BTW, i tihnk what I use in the car is one of the new Nanos

Old 08-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Le Chef!

Thanks, Chef. Great find.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef

Thanks, Le Chef. I bought one of these, from Amazon. I can now charge my iPhone 3GS, but it still complains about "Accessory not supported".

Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Here is what Jaguar said about the not charging issue, models affected etc.
It refers directly to the adapter listed in the other posts.

The latest generation iPhone, iPod Touch and iPod Nano do not charge
when used with the Portable Audio Interface ( integrated iPod vehicle
adapter).

Cause:
Apple has changed the power supply strategy on their latest models.
The products affected are as follows:

iPhone 3G
iPhone 3G S
iPod Touch 2nd Generation
iPod Nano 4th Generation

Action:
Should a customer state that their Apple products (listed above)
do not charge from the vehicle power supply, direct the customer to purchase a Scosche passPORT Car Charging Adapter. This can be obtained from various
retailers or the Apple store by copy and pasting either of the
links below into a web browser:-

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS...mco=MjIwMTg2NQ

NOTE - This change has been instigated by Apple on their products and
payment for the adapter is the customer's responsibility.

Cheers,

Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I can confirm that an iPhone 4 will not charge using the supplied iPod connection for my 2010 XF Premium. However, adding the Scosche adapter allows it to charge correctly (this is not obvious from the Apple site which only mentions older devices). The phone does seem to get rather hot, however which is worrysome.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got an iPhone 4 from Verizon and had to buy a car charger. Only cars that have a USB interface MAY charge these devices. If they don't, the unit will say on the screen that the unit will not charge.

My son has an Infiniti G37 and the USB cord that came with the iPhone (and iTouch) does indeed charge the unit.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So which ipods will it charge? Anyone know for sure. I was going to by an old ipod on ebay and just leave it connected.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by InJapan
So which ipods will it charge? Anyone know for sure. I was going to by an old ipod on ebay and just leave it connected.
We have an older IPOD classic in addition to iPhone 4. We just leave the iPOD pluged in all the time. It charges the battery and works perfectly. I think I would go with the old ipod and just leave it plugged in. If you use your iPhone you will need to unplug it each time you leave the car and want to use it.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Billsblue73
We have an older IPOD classic in addition to iPhone 4. We just leave the iPOD pluged in all the time. It charges the battery and works perfectly. I think I would go with the old ipod and just leave it plugged in. If you use your iPhone you will need to unplug it each time you leave the car and want to use it.
Unfortunately it is not easy to determine which work and which will not work. However the change came when the Apple connection plug started using the USB 3.3v power pin and not the so called firewire 12 v pin. The XF seems to use the 12 v pin which the new iDevices devices do not use (iPod touch, iPhones of all types). The Scoshe adapter simply takes the 12v power input from the XF adapter and drops it to 3.3v and routes it to the appropriate pin on the iPad/iPhone adapter.

I tend to use an old iPod 5G which will charge from the XF adapter and charge my iPhone 4 at home. Irritating but workable. You can use the 12v cigarette lighter style socket with a USB adapter from Belkin (they make an excellent one that provides 2 USB style connectors and sits almost flush with the top of the 12v socket which will charge the iPhones and iPod Touch. However you have to use the aux socket and plug it into the headphone out for audio and you loose the music information that comes with the iPod connector. I am surprised that Jaguar have not come up with a new cable/adapter.

I have discovered that the iPhone 4 heating (mentioned in one of my posts on this topic) is due to the weak radio signal it receives when in the central console and is having to use the cellular transmitter at higher power than normal (this happens on all cell phones and is not widely recognised, but all cell phones use more battery power when they are in a weak signal area).

Old 03-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod & iPhone works perfectly with my 09 XF and iphone 4.
Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod & iPhone (Black): Electronics

Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

may be it is the aux jack issue.

Quick Reply: iPod Connection doesn't charge iPod