XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Looking to Purchase 2012 XF Portfolio. What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Purchase 2012 XF Portfolio. What do I need to know?

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a 2012 Jaguar XF portfolio this weekend. I currently drive a BMW E91. The vehicle that I am looking at has 97k miles but looks in great shape and has the alcantara headliner, brown and black seats, as well as black exterior. Normally I wouldn't buy a car with this many miles, but really like this spec and plan to daily it alongside my e91 until I can sell the BMW. Any big maintenance items I should look out for? Can these things run up to 200k miles without major repair? The service records look stellar. I have about a 60 mile round trip commute everyday so that would be majority of driving. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Tony

Old 04-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by IDriveE91x
Hi All,

the BMW. Any big maintenance items I should look out for? Can these things run up to 200k miles without major repair? The service records look stellar.
Probably depends what you consider "major". Here is a list of things that have been discussing on this forum, though not many have already gone past 97K miles yet. For sure, it looks like these cars are going to need a new water pump every 25K to 50K miles. Jaguar is on version #8 of the water pump as of about 14 months ago and the jury is still out whether the eighth redesign has finally fixed the leaking issue. We're also starting to see deterioration in many of the PA66 nylon cooling system components but those seem to be hitting in the 65 to 75K range. There's also an issue with the timing chain guides and tensioners that seems to hit past 85K miles but the updated parts should last better than the originals. Its also subject to the Takata airbag recall and cosmetically, the leather dash is known that the glue gives out and it comes loose around the edges and is very expensive to repair.

My old XJ8 was a rock up until it hit 100K then started to snowball and I retired it from the daily grind at 120K. Jaguars are expensive to repair and expensive parts so I bought my XF planning ahead that about 100K was when I'd update to a newer car again. I just turned over 40K (two water pumps so far) so a ways to go yet but I keep reading these forums religiously in hopes that I can learn what to do to "prevent" catastrophe or at least "delay the inevitable". Good you have the records. If the previous owner has recently spent money on the issues above then you might be OK. If you are a DIY'er then its certainly more feasible to take a chance on a higher mileage XF. But if not, consider seeking out one with much lower mileage. One thing about Jaguars is that original owners tended to be the kind of people who could afford more than one car or maybe had a company car and so its not as hard to find a low mileage Jaguar as it is some other brands of cars. Good luck.