XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Loud squeaking noise from belt??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud squeaking noise from belt??

hi all,

for the past two weeks my 09' XF has had a constant squeaking noise coming from the belt area, at first it would go away while accelerating and come back when idled, I figured maybe the belt could use some belt conditioner so I purchased some and sprayed it, bad move it got way louder and now pitches louder when accelerating, the noise seems to be coming from the right side (facing engine).
has anyone had this issue? can it be the belt, or the tensioner or both?
if so has anyone done this job diy?

thanks
digi

Old 03-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 293 Posts

If the belt is the original, I'd replace it regardless, "just because"....it's now 8 year sold, or close to it. I replaced the belt on our '09 XF, non-supercharged, a couple of years ago, and it's a PITA. Not impossible, just tedious. However, the tensioner could be going bad, too. How many miles on your car?

Old 03-10-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
If the belt is the original, I'd replace it regardless, "just because"....it's now 8 year sold, or close to it. I replaced the belt on our '09 XF, non-supercharged, a couple of years ago, and it's a PITA. Not impossible, just tedious. However, the tensioner could be going bad, too. How many miles on your car?

is there a lot to take out to get to the belt?

Old 03-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by digimurda
is there a lot to take out to get to the belt?

On most vehicles I've ever worked on, the "open" end of the belt tensioner faces "out", so when you release the tension on the belt, you simply slip it "forward" off the engine, and into your hands.

On my XF, an '09 non supercharged model, the "open" side of the tensioner faces the engine, so after releasing the tension, you have to slide the belt toward the engine, then work it off/around the plethora of pulleys, THEN twist it between the tensioner pulley and the front cover of the engine.

(I also found it necessary to remove the air cleaner housing/air box, and intake tube between the box and throttle body, in order to access the belt drive.)

The following users liked this post:
digimurda (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 01:07 PM

sheesh, i'll give a try in the morning.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's an easy 30m job. A simple ratchet and some muscle.

Pay close attention to how it routes around. Draw a diagram how the belt runs if you don't have a sticker showing it.