XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

lowering 2012 xf

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lowering 2012 xf

Hey everyone i was wondering if anyone has used coil overs on their car. I read the thread about springs and how it ruins the camber and cant be corrected but i was wondering if anyone had any experience with coil overs?

Old 04-17-2017, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Doesn't matter if you substitute "lowering springs" for the OE springs, or fab up a "coil over" set up, you still will not be able to adjust the rear camber. Therefore, you'll still wear out tires at an accelerated rate, as well as potentially degrade the handling of the car.

BTW, if you actually look at the OE design, it is a sort of "coil over" set up.....

Old 04-17-2017, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

A fellow Aussie has bagged his XF, see here: My short review of AirREX air suspension for Jaguar XF

The following users liked this post:
Moe Farrag (05-03-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
A fellow Aussie has bagged his XF, see here: My short review of AirREX air suspension for Jaguar XF

Can't access the pictures without being a member of that forum. However, let me say this.....yes, the airbags will allow you to change your ride height at will, but they will not allow for any adjustment in wheel alignment settings. The alignment is dictated by the geometry of the control arms, and any adjustment the factory has or has not designed into the system.

For example, my "winter ride" is a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Since I wanted maximum winter traction, I wanted the vehicle to have a limited slip rear axle. In order to get that, I had to order the "off road adventure package", which also includes an air suspension system. Yes, the air suspension rides quite nicely, and handles pretty well, for a 5500 pound behemoth. The air bags also allow for different ride height settings, ranging from a 1" dropped "aero mode", which kicks in at highway speeds, to a 1.5" lift, for off-road trail running.

Many Jeep owners, with this air suspension, are like me, in that they don't necessarily go "off road" (at least not on purpose), so they'd like to lower the vehicle for better handling, as well as enhanced looks. At least the Jeep has SOME adjustability, both front and rear, for caster and camber, in the front, and camber only, in the rear. The problem for the Jeeps, however, is that there isn't enough range of adjustment to compensate for more than a 1/2-3/4" drop, before your camber goes too far negative.