XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Michelin tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin tires

Yes, I know this subject has been beaten to death. But I also know tires are a major component of performance. I really, really like my XF, save 2 things - the tires and the seats. I expect the engineering reason it came with H rated tires (and a governor to keep it within the rating) was for ride quality. I've been unhappy with the Conti Pro Contacts from the outset for their vibration and noise. But there is a very limited choice of H rated tires in our size. And I'm biased toward Michelins. The Michelin Premiers are not only V rated, they are listed as XL (extra load/higher pressure), both of which suggest stiffer sidewalls to me. But after some research and talking to Michelin about pressures (btw- 33# cold for our car), I decided to risk a k$ to fix a constant irritant. Results? They are great. Smooth as glass and substantially quieter. They feel just a bit mushier going into the curves, but once they set they've pulled me out of every one just fine - no squeal, no drift. In my view, Continentals play to the "sport" in our luxury-sport cars. Now I'm enjoying the luxury.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

I got tired of the sidewall bulges and the premature dry rotting of the Michelins, and now run the Firestone Firehawk 500's on both Jags, and my Lotus Elan. So much better, and half the price! But you can't use them in snow, so I am glad I live in Houston.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

"Terryin NC", you aren't alone. Our '09 XF came with the Continental ContiPro Contacts too, and I tossed them after about 8-9,000 miles, "just because". They were very uninspiring. I went with Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 970s. I believe the Bridgestones are either "Z" or "W" rated, so the ride is a tad stiffer, but I like the added directional stability, as well as their directional tread pattern, which is quite good in the rain.