XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New Steering Wheel

Old 11-17-2018, 12:29 AM
Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default New Steering Wheel

Long Week, but I had something special come in the mail today, even though I was exhausted, I just had to get it put in (even though I'm not even driving the car right now, it's in winter storage till April)... I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:
Stock Wheel (older photo):

Stock on the right, and new wheel on the left:

Stock Wheel:

New Wheel:

Side by side comparison:

Finished Product (all installed in car):

Old 11-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

I think it would have looked better in the original thickness. It's too bulky, and looks swollen/over-inflated, especially around the bottom wheel spoke. Also the wheel's diameter and the short spokes didn't translate well for a flat bottom steering wheel. Would have been better to stick with round. It's just my opinion, so feel free to ignore.

I faced the same decisions when re-doing the steering wheel on my Lambo, and I stuck with the original thickness and round for the same reasons as this wheel.

Nice idea though, but as long as you like it, it's all good!

Last edited by lotusespritse; 11-17-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice! I love it, where did you get it done??

The following users liked this post:
H.Jones (11-22-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
I think it would have looked better in the original thickness. It's too bulky, and looks swollen/over-inflated, especially around the bottom wheel spoke. Also the wheel's diameter and the short spokes didn't translate well for a flat bottom steering wheel. Would have been better to stick with round. It's just my opinion, so feel free to ignore.

I faced the same decisions when re-doing the steering wheel on my Lambo, and I stuck with the original thickness and round for the same reasons as this wheel.

Wow, quite the contrary responses... One person says they love it, and the other (you), has nothing resembling constructive criticism. As always "lotusespritse", thanks for the colorful input. I will always say the stock wheel thickness has always left something to be desired, and the new wheel isn't bulky at all, it actually fits my hands perfectly (it could actually be thicker, I am 6'5" my hands are on the larger side, that could have something to do with it). As for flat-bottom vs rounded, it all comes down to personal taste.

Originally Posted by Zamir Chatur
Nice! I love it, where did you get it done??
Zamir, greatly appreciate the positive response... I ended up ordering it from: Royal Steering Wheels

I absolutely love the wheel, but only two concerns came up with mine:
Since vendor is in the UK, and I am in Canada, it wasn't practical to ship original wheel there and back (would cost more in shipping charges then just finding a surplus wheel local to the vendor), so we opted to have him supply the wheel, and re-finish it as per my choosing. The wheel the vendor sourced is where my concerns are concentrated, and not with his ability to refinish the wheel, as I believe the material and the workmanship are exceptional. So the wheel that was sourced:
  1. Isn't a heated wheel, my stock XFR-S is a heated wheel, but the unit that was re-finished by the vendor is not. This isn't a big deal as I only drive the car in the summer anyways, but it is a minor let down, so lesson learned is to ensure you specify all options that your wheel has, i.e.: what year, with paddles (or not), heated (or not), etc...
  2. The upshift paddle shifter, appears to have the threads worn out for where the screw that holds the paddle in place would go in. I wish I would have checked this before installing the wheel (as it would have been much easier to re-tap the threads with it out of the car). This is obviously the bigger concern. The screw holds it place and it isn't wobbly, but it can loosen over time, so I might consider using some blue thread-lock (Loctite).

I have communicated these concerns with the vendor, but being I did it last night after installing the wheel, I don't expect him to get back to me till after the weekend (Monday morning). I will see what he advises...

Other than that the Leather, the Alcantara the wheel overall, is befitting what should have been in the XFR-S (even the XFR), from the factory. I am very happy with the finished product

Old 11-18-2018, 01:13 AM

^thanks for your input/review! I've been looking at their website for quite some time and i totally agree with you. I also live in Canada (Vancouver ,BC) and drive an xfr-s. The stock wheel is way too thin and with no thumb grips nor flat bottom for what the car is. When i decide to purchase I'll have to make sure its for a heated wheel. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it end up costing you with the duties all in?

Btw, i really think the colour match stripe/stitching and alcantara inserts really blend in with the rest of the car. Like you said, it's the way it should have been from factory!

Old 11-18-2018, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Zamir Chatur
^thanks for your input/review! I've been looking at their website for quite some time and i totally agree with you. I also live in Canada (Vancouver ,BC) and drive an xfr-s. The stock wheel is way too thin and with no thumb grips nor flat bottom for what the car is. When i decide to purchase I'll have to make sure its for a heated wheel. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it end up costing you with the duties all in?

Btw, i really think the colour match stripe/stitching and alcantara inserts really blend in with the rest of the car. Like you said, it's the way it should have been from factory!
thanks

duty was a whopping 14.99 cdn, and the wheel (including the core the vendor supplied, and 3-4 day shipping) was a total of 335 GBP

Old 11-18-2018, 02:26 AM
Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts

Looks familiar.......

Old 11-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by H.Jones
Wow, quite the contrary responses... One person says they love it, and the other (you), has nothing resembling constructive criticism. As always "lotusespritse", thanks for the colorful input. I will always say the stock wheel thickness has always left something to be desired, and the new wheel isn't bulky at all, it actually fits my hands perfectly (it could actually be thicker, I am 6'5" my hands are on the larger side, that could have something to do with it). As for flat-bottom vs rounded, it all comes down to personal taste.

Zamir, greatly appreciate the positive response... I ended up ordering it from: Royal Steering Wheels

I absolutely love the wheel, but only two concerns came up with mine:
Since vendor is in the UK, and I am in Canada, it wasn't practical to ship original wheel there and back (would cost more in shipping charges then just finding a surplus wheel local to the vendor), so we opted to have him supply the wheel, and re-finish it as per my choosing. The wheel the vendor sourced is where my concerns are concentrated, and not with his ability to refinish the wheel, as I believe the material and the workmanship are exceptional. So the wheel that was sourced:
  1. Isn't a heated wheel, my stock XFR-S is a heated wheel, but the unit that was re-finished by the vendor is not. This isn't a big deal as I only drive the car in the summer anyways, but it is a minor let down, so lesson learned is to ensure you specify all options that your wheel has, i.e.: what year, with paddles (or not), heated (or not), etc...
  2. The upshift paddle shifter, appears to have the threads worn out for where the screw that holds the paddle in place would go in. I wish I would have checked this before installing the wheel (as it would have been much easier to re-tap the threads with it out of the car). This is obviously the bigger concern. The screw holds it place and it isn't wobbly, but it can loosen over time, so I might consider using some blue thread-lock (Loctite).

I have communicated these concerns with the vendor, but being I did it last night after installing the wheel, I don't expect him to get back to me till after the weekend (Monday morning). I will see what he advises...

Other than that the Leather, the Alcantara the wheel overall, is befitting what should have been in the XFR-S (even the XFR), from the factory. I am very happy with the finished product

Well, you just took my feedback like a little bitch, didn't you. Sure people will say it looks great, but it doesn't. They are just being nice. But as long as you like, you can shove it up you know where.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Well, you just took my feedback like a little bitch, didn't you. Sure people will say it looks great, but it doesn't. They are just being nice. But as long as you like, you can shove it up you know where.
This is one reason why I wish the XF wasn't such a good car. If it wasn't, you might have moved on by now. You are productive here on occasion, but generally you are insulting, crass and you go out of your way to break your arm patting yourself on the back for anything you contribute.

I know you will respond with some childish **** like you did in the quoted post and I don't really care. I won't respond nor engage, but I feel a duty as someone who comes to this forum for good comraderie to point out your poor conduct from time to time.

And I guarantee you wouldn't speak to forum members like that in person as you'd likely need a dentist or an orthopedist afterward. Keyboard commando you definitely are.

Moderator, can we please change Lotusespritse's screen name to Jim_Acosta? I think it would fit him better...Windbag who speaks to hear his own voice and opinion, and who doesn't care about anyone else. Yes, I believe the comparison is perfect.

What do the rest of you think?

The following 3 users liked this post by 2010 Kyanite XFR:
carzaddict (11-21-2018), grif_drew (02-15-2019), H.Jones (11-22-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 AM

Sure thing there baby hands 😉

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
This is one reason why I wish the XF wasn't such a good car. If it wasn't, you might have moved on by now. You are productive here on occasion, but generally you are insulting, crass and you go out of your way to break your arm patting yourself on the back for anything you contribute.

I know you will respond with some childish **** like you did in the quoted post and I don't really care. I won't respond nor engage, but I feel a duty as someone who comes to this forum for good comraderie to point out your poor conduct from time to time.

And I guarantee you wouldn't speak to forum members like that in person as you'd likely need a dentist or an orthopedist afterward. Keyboard commando you definitely are.

Moderator, can we please change Lotusespritse's screen name to Jim_Acosta? I think it would fit him better...Windbag who speaks to hear his own voice and opinion, and who doesn't care about anyone else. Yes, I believe the comparison is perfect.

What do the rest of you think?
Bang on... some people (we’ll refer to it as people, even though, it hardly behaves in a befitting manner) act all tough behind their keyboards. I ask myself do people really conduct themselves in this manner in person? Would hardly seem dignified or civilized?

Im all for constructive criticism, but nothing from this member in this particular thread resembled that...

Wish the moderators could simply remove the last two or three posts to this thread... as I have a feeling it’s gonna go south if it hasn’t already.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want that wheel!!

Are they available?

Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by H.Jones
Long Week, but I had something special come in the mail today, even though I was exhausted, I just had to get it put in (even though I'm not even driving the car right now, it's in winter storage till April)... I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:
Wheel looks absolutely great, I personally would have went with a rounded bottom. But, the overall quality looks OEM, nice upgrade!

Sad, pathetic, and juvenile behavior as per usual.

H.Jones (11-22-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 11:31 PM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

funny how you can diss a personal choice plus get in the fact that you also have a Lamborgini...and by the sound of things very small hands....

Jaggyx (10-19-2022)
Old 11-22-2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by John Williams
Looks familiar.......

Looks Great!!!
How long have you had yours, and how has it held up?
I tried searching the forum, to see if anyone had used "Royal Steering Wheel", glad to see I am not the only user.

Originally Posted by cyndav6875
Are they available?
Each wheel is custom built to the buyers liking. You can reach out to the vendor, I had provided a link above (earlier in this thread)

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
Wheel looks absolutely great, I personally would have went with a rounded bottom. But, the overall quality looks OEM, nice upgrade!

Sad, pathetic, and juvenile behavior as per usual.
Thank you, and like I said round bottom vs flat bottom is all a matter of personal taste.

While on the topic of round vs flat bottom, Jack (the gentleman, I am dealing with at Royal Steering Wheel), did mention that the only way to keep the heated steering wheel option was to re-wrap the factory wheel, as the heating element would likely get damaged if he tried to remove it and re-install it. Meaning the only way to retain the heated steering wheel would be to keep the factory shape (no flat bottom). For me and my personal taste, I love how my new flat bottom wheel looks, and since I don't drive the car in winter, I would not trade heated wheel and round in lieu of what I have now (so makes me feel better about my decision). I am conveying this to those that might be interested in getting a similar re-built wheel, as to what your options are/ might be.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:44 AM

Well, because of H. jones, I've decided to place an order for the steering wheel haha. Now im contemplating between two designs. So far, I've decided on doing alcantara top and bottom
​with flat bottom and perforated leather sides. What i can't decide is to leave the lower spoke (where my RS logo goes) silver or do that in a perforated leather too. The folks at royal steering wheel showed me two pictures. What are your guy's thoughts on them?​​​​​​

Last edited by Zamir Chatur; 11-29-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Option #2. perforated leather on the spoke too.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:42 PM

Perforated leather all the way

Old 11-29-2018, 09:02 PM

I agree too, the perforated leather where the RS logo looks unique and catches my eye. I don't think ill do the white stripe up top, gonna keep it clean. Now im just waiting for their reply so i can place the order. They do seem to take their time when going back and forth with emails.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:49 PM

We’ll it’s been a while since I posted this thread, but I figured I would provide an update.

It’s been almost 3 years, and the wheel has held up great, but it was time for a change.

I ordered this custom carbon fiber wheel

This wheel is real carbon fiber and perforated real leather, and it retains the heated steering wheel function.

Old 08-25-2021, 01:24 PM

Holy thats beautiful! Was this still royal steering wheel?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Steering Wheel