XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New water pump when replacing timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New water pump when replacing timing belt?

Should I replace also the water pump when I get the timing belt replaced?

the garage where I bought agreed to fit for me (was not done before and should have been replaced).

I will buy a new timing belt kit from INA (eBay-Artikelnummer:152250917949) Ina Zahnriemensatz für Land Rover Discovery Jaguar Citroen Peugeot D HDi NEU | eBay but this does not include the water pump. I usually do this myself and always replace the WP but not sure if important for Jaguar.

Any advice?

Old 06-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Replacing them both at the same time is the general rule since if you do one, and later need to do the other your basically doing the same job twice. SEE BEST ADVICE IN RED ↓↓↓.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 06-20-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Big Will, I agree with your philosophy entirely about doing such work properly.

The reason I specifically asked in this case is because for the 3.0d XF the WP is not driven directly by the timing belt (with 195 teeth) but by the V-grooved auxiliary belt on the outside (which also driven the air conditioner compressor, the battery charger etc.). I usually always replace the WP because when it is driven by a new belt it can cause problems if not changed.

Actually it is even more complicated for the XF as there appears to be 3 belts that ideally should be changed:

1. Timing belt itself (with teeth) together with 2 guides and 1 tensioner
2. fuel pump belt (with teeth) together with tensioner - at rear of engine
3. V-belt auxiliary belt (which turns the water pump among other appliances)

I will therefore order all 3 belts new - although the fuel pump belt appears to be only available for the 2.7d engine (at least on eBay). I will look at other options to order this.