XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New XF owner, possible coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XF owner, possible coolant leak

Hi guys. I picked up a 2010 XF Supercharged this weekend. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, and got a killer deal on it. The only issue I've found so far is the smell of coolant after running the car for a while. I can smell it coming from the front of the car with the hood down, but haven't poked around under the engine covers. From what I can tell this is a pretty common issue. Is it necessarily the water pump, or is it related hoses that crack? It only has 42k miles on it.

For now I'm going to top off the coolant and keep an eye out on the level to see how much it's using. I have a Saab that had a faint smell of coolant at times (it has a known issue with the coolant reservoir cracking) and I've only had to top off the coolant once in 4 years (it's almost 10 years old now).

Attached Thumbnails New XF owner, possible coolant leak-jag.jpg  
Old 12-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I advice you to take a closer look and DO NOT ignore this problem. In fact, try to fix it as soon as possible. If you are not mechanically inclined take it to the dealership for diagnostics. They'll probably charge you $100-$150 to diagnose and pressurize the system and tell you what's going on. Then it is up to you to fix it there or not. Be advised that the part is $125 if you buy it online from some jaguar dealership. Also make sure you get the updated (redesigned) part. I did mine at the dealership and total cost was $600 but that included labor, water pump, full system flush and refill and at least 3 or 4 hoses that were replaced along with the thermostat. I highly doubt you would get a much cheaper rate if you go to an indy shop also the dealer will provide you with a 1 year/ 12,000 mile warranty on any parts replaced and labor. So if that parts fails again you are covered from A to Z

Best of luck

Old 12-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

best case: its a cracked overflow tank or a pipe leading to it, VERY common but not crazy to repair
middle case: waterpump or coolant crossover, a bit more to replace, usually around a grand
Worst case: do you have a lot of white smoke that smells like coolant coming out of the exhaust on start up? thats a blown head gasket. about 6-7k

Old 12-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Well, I don't have a dealer near me, so I took it to an Indy shop and they said it was a bad water pump, so I had them replace it and got it back and now it's still losing coolant. I never saw steam or saw anything touch the ground, but they said my under tray was full of coolant when they got it. They did see leaking out of the pump housing, but there must be something else leaking. It's definitely not coming out of the engine, but I was planning on driving to DC from Indiana after Christmas and this isn't filling me with confidence I'll make it!

I'm hoping it was just an air bubble it needed to ingest, but I doubt it. I'll drive it some tomorrow and if it's still losing coolant, back to the shop.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Have them check at the rear of you engine, My guess is it's your PLASTIC rear coolant cross over, these are starting to go on the 2010's. just did mine in August. I thought it was the water pump too..lol
When I repaired mine.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...change-189069/

Old 12-18-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 674 Posts

Check the NEW water pump. I replaced my water pump in August. After that I'd still smell a whiff of coolant once in a while. So I put a mark on the tank and watched the coolant level go down about 3/16 of an inch over the next few months. Its at the Jaguar dealer today and they're telling me the NEW water pump is leaking out the front seal just like before and recommend replacing it again. Apparently after five engineering revisions and Jaguar still can't get this water pump right. Their engineers just have a mental block when it comes to water pumps. Eighteen years ago it was disintegrating plastic impellers on the 4.0L engine and now they just can't make them stop leaking.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:57 PM

Coolant housing replace solved problem in my XF. I was loosing lot of coolant. £50 or something like that from Jaguar dealer. Hope it helps

Old 01-31-2018, 07:14 PM

It was the water pump, leaking out of the weep hole. I had my local shop put a new one on and no more leaks.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coolant leaks are very common on the XF. Mine went as well and luckily, I was 2 miles away and able to get to the dealership. Otherwise, would have had full coolant loss and required towing.