XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

People's perception of your Jaguar and why it's exclusive

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

What has been done to address the jitter? Tire balancing? Check for a bent rim? They should be able to tell you how well balanced the wheels are.

This has nothing to do with Jag and everything to do with an unbalanceable tire or bent rim.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by sybarite
Sorry to hear about your "jitter" issue. But I never said I want to "call it normal". Sounds decidedly abnormal; neither my current Jag nor previous one did anything like that. Hope you can get it sorted out!

As for the Koenigsegg, well that came out of left field in a discussion on BMWs and Jags... Sorry, can't pass judgment on that one as I have never had the pleasure of a drive, nor can I imagine how one might judge its steering from a video. Unless of course, you have actually driven one, in which case, I am jealous, and what was it like?
Thank you. I am not sure if its something that can be done to fix it. As i think it's related to the rack. And, i don't want them to take my whole car apart.

The only reason i brought that into the conversation, because you said not too much road feel equals to numb steering. Which isn't true. They were showing how stable the steering was at high speeds. The engineer took his hands off the wheel few times just to show how calm the steering was under stress. I can provide a link if you like.

Originally Posted by wannajag
What has been done to address the jitter? Tire balancing? Check for a bent rim? They should be able to tell you how well balanced the wheels are.
This has nothing to do with Jag and everything to do with an unbalanceable tire or bent rim.
That's all been done, and not once but twice.
I had brought the car in last year for the problem and they said, it needed a brake change in the coming months. I just had all new rotors, pads done with all new tires and an alignment by them. Pick the car up and still doing it. Brought it back again and again. Finally got a call a week later saying the front hub failed the test - whatever that means. Probably bad bearings.

It's much better now, but i still don't like the steering. It's always feels very "nervous" in my hands.

You are right, that can happen to any car, But, on top of the little issues, it makes it an unpleasant vehicle to own. I actually prefer the steering on the cheap Enterprise loaners i get. The steering is calm and gives me the confidence to push the car.

Anyways, apologies for derailing the thread.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's a couple of links that may be of assistance, if you or the dealer haven't already been through the algorithm:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/vibechart.pdf

Diagnosing rack and pinion steering problems - Troubleshooting vibrations, car tire wear, steering difficulty and wheel looseness

Based on your comments, it would appear that you believe what you call "road feel" is inversely related to stability. Maybe your definition of road feel is different from mine, but there are so many factors other than steering (suspension geometry, alignment, downforce, tires etc.) that determine stability that I really don't understand your Koenigsegg argument. My Exige has more road feel than any car I have ever owned, yet I can happily take my hands off the wheel at highway speeds without fear of spearing off into the ditch. Anyway, the Koenigsegg example doesn't hold any validity since I have never driven one and you haven't said you have, either.

The following users liked this post:
Executive (05-17-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny really...I looked at the Porsche, M5 and 63AMG sedans and actually put a deposit on a M5...then a mate of mine (car guru) sent me Jeremy Clarkson's video of a side-by-side comparison of the XFR and a M5. I watched it, wen to the dealer and bought a used 2010.

I am so thrilled with the choice...it may look a little Ford'ie but you know what when people see the grille in their rear view mirror they move over - the BMW's and MBZ sedans all look the same too - most of the time you have to do a double take to tell the different models apart anyway - so I am OK with it. Generally, most car guys can tell that it is a high performing Jaguar.

In my neighborhood it is the talk of the 'hood...after chatting with neighbors it appears everyone who drives by admires it...now we have a Lambo and a Ferrari, plus a few BMW's and MBZ luxury sports sedans...but most everyone is in love with my Jag

I can't wait to take it out on a track day at the local racetrack

Old 06-05-2014, 01:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm driving a 2012 xfr ultimate black, black pack and super dark tints ... the car looks like a black mirror..I live on the Illinois Wisconsin border and there is no other 2012 xfr black on black on black for hundreds if not thousands of miles and I like that a lot .NO ONE has known what it is yet. I get "looks like an Aston Martin" , and "wow what kind of car is that?". Even the guys that delivered the car asked I if they could take pictures.
I'm thinking of hooking up with a good chiropractor , because almost everyone I drive past turns their neck so far that I'm sure they need to be realigned.
As far as price and reliability goes , I am certain the the xfr is the finest luxury sport sedan for under $100,000 there is ...bar none! And did I mention warranty until 2020, yes 2020.(cpo)
For now we xfr owners can bask in antimony, but soon (and probably very soon) the rest of the world will find out about our secret. What a beautiful machine. Happy Motoring.

Last edited by gmansimpson272; 06-05-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is EXACTLY what happen to me when I was taking a Marketing cllas at college a month back (I'm 24 by the way). Some how we started talking about cars and this women said Jaguar are for old people. She didn't know I had one, so immediately I told her, wait a second here, I have a Jaguar and do I seem old to you, so your statement is out of line. I took out my cellphone showed several students (Including my profesor) and they all said, wow, very beautiful car.

Everybody I know has the perception that Jaguar is for old people, but they just lack the knowledge of the new models. Once they see one, they get Impressed.

I love that there isn't many Jaguars were I live, but WOW, Mercedes C class are everywhere, the dealers must be qualifying people easily. All i see are C class 300.

I had a Mercedes C350, I bought it back in 2008. When i bought this car, i felt like a dam celebrity. Everybody was in shock how beautiful the car was, and everywhere i went i got looks. Remember, 2008 was the new redesign of the Mercedes and hardly anybody in my city had one, especially the C350. But now things have changed. The Mercedes C class is over populated and it just doesn't make you stand out.

You might have the question, why did you switch from your Mercedes C350 to a Jaguar XF? My answer is simple, i crashed my car, it was full lost and m insurance company gave me a check of my Mercedes value and once I started looking for cars and saw this baby, i said this is it. It is azure blue.

With this car I stand out, I hardly see where I live, I feel like its 2008 again, jeje.

And yes I'm young, and with my age you might all think my parents bought it for me and I'm spoiled. Its not the case, I have my own online business since I was 16, things got good when i turned 18 and thats why I had the money for these cars.

And hey, forget about peoples opinion remember If you fuel your journey on the opinions of others, you are going to run out of gas.

Attached Thumbnails People's perception of your Jaguar and why it's exclusive-2hfmo7t.jpg  

Last edited by BigBoss25; 06-05-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

We just bought a 2013 Carnelian Red XF 3.O with the Barlwy Portfolio Interior, Premium Package and the Burl Walnut. It is my wife's car. She is a cancer survivor and the Jag is her "dream car". We get looks in it everytime it is driven. I think now is a good time to get a Jag before everybody figures out that the reliablility is not an issue. I say, let the uninformed, mindless sheep have their Schnitzel wagons. I passed an almost new S550 Mercedes sedan last night. The color was of course, battleship gray. What a boring, ugly looking, overpriced car. I will give the Germans credit, they have done a great job of marketing to the sheep. I wouldn't give the Germans a lot of praise about reliablity, they have built some real stinkers. We love the Jag because it is not a rolling video arcade game. I could care less who has the most gadgets.

Jagkittycat (06-15-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Last week when I was at the gas station I was waiting in line to pay for my drink and I heard a couple of guys say "did you see that Jaguar?" you could tell they liked it, Jaguars just have such a sense of occasion about them that even non-car people appreciate them. The same went for when I was picking out for my carpet, and again when I was buying furniture. People don't seem to have the same reaction from a similar BMW or MB. Like the poster above me said, I don't care that my car doesn't offer the latest and greatest of everything, but what it does offer is something that the Germans can't offer no matter how many features they jam into their cars.

BruceTheQuail (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MV Rider
I think now is a good time to get a Jag before everybody figures out that the reliablility is not an issue.
My sentiments exactly!

Last edited by *Phoenix*; 06-06-2014 at 02:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by *Phoenix*:
Jagkittycat (06-15-2014), NuJagLuvr (07-01-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Have to say that I love my XFR. My partners at work have tried to steal my keys on more than one occasion. Another person told me he sat in his car staring at mine for about 10 minutes because it looked so good. And when you go any where, they always say "That's the guy with the Jaaaaaaag" (never get tired of hearing it)

Old 06-06-2014, 06:53 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Ate dinner with my friends last night who both have BMWs and one of them had to declare to me he was a BMW man. His wife made my wife show her the new Jag and his wife loved it, especially the interior. He has a black 5 series which looked pretty plain sitting across from the red Jag. I would laugh if his wife got a Jag as the 5 series is her car.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default they asked me the same question

I'm 21 years old and people told me why you bought a Jaguar, isn't it for old folks. I'm like I have the luxury and the horse power ! best of both world !

The famous Jaguar always break down ! -_- Yeah I had some problems but not big one and this car it's pretty easy to fix once you know your way around it.

anyway it's a question of love for cars, and it's a amazing car to drive, it really worth it.

and I got the plus off being the only on in my town to own one !

Jagkittycat (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My XF 09 was always parked in front at every restaurant valet. I had one of the first. I had BMW 5 series, and an Audi A6, previously and never got much love. My XF is regarded as elegant, upscale and sexy, and everyone thinks it costs a mint' especially with all the bells and whistles. After driving in mine a client went out and bought one the same day! It's the best move I've ever made getting into the Jag family. Just sold my XF and got an XK, I wanted to get one before production stopped. I am a little overwhelmed by all the attention I get honestly. Questions at the gas station, super market parking lots and thumbs up while driving. This isn't your Mama's jag! And yes she is alway out front at every valet station.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very interesting thread to read although there are decently a few misconceptions

First of all, Tata motors bought jaguar (and Land Rover) in 2008. It was Tata that released the XF class jaguar. Not Ford. There are No Ford parts in the current Jaguars (XF especially) . Not sure why people have been mentioning Ford when they haven't had anything to do with jaguar since 2008.

Second, and this is more opinionated but as someone who has owned BMWs since 2001, I know I have experienced enough to say that BMW is not the ultimate driving machine anymore. Keep in mind that I have a 2001 330i that has heavily modified into a track car and I still drive it regularly.

Anyone who complains about "jitters" being a issue on a jaguar doesn't know what it's like to own a BMW for longer than 4 years. Because EVERY BMW I have owned has had more than just "jitters" . This comes from owning a 2001 x5, 2001 330i and 2009 335i for many years. My xfr doesn't have a cooling system designed by a monkey, plastic water pumps, Waste gates that can't close, turbos that detatch with less than 60k miles, VANOS failure, subframe failure, and the list goes on. Oh wait let's not forget the SMG transmission on the e60 m5. Probably the worst shifting car I ever drove hands down. What about the newer models? Do you like electronic steering (see lexus), how about fake exhaust sounds pumped into the car so it makes you feel faster? Turbo lag? . Yeah if you like that then BMW is for you. But you don't know cars if you think BMW is better than jaguar. I would say they are on par at best (and this excludes a few current BMW models) .

Jaguar has with it exclusivity, amazing looks, performance, and a parent company with am impressive track record. At least when I sit in my xfr I smile every time. And that is not a feeling I get inside a BMW

Old 06-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I've had my 2010 XFS for nearly 9 months now, and at least a dozen times I have been complimented by perfect strangers "what a beautiful car".
Where I live in Adelaide South Australia I hardly ever see another XF, maybe one a month, and I've only seen three other XFS and one ever XFR.
While Mercs, Beamers and Audis are dime a dozen.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Curryman,

Glad you're enjoying your XFR. Just wondered if you realize how long it takes to design, engineer, produce the components after negotiating contracts with suppliers, develop the tooling for assembly/manufacturing, then actually test the finished product to bring to market? And at that point they still have to make the actual car to be sold.

If Tata bought in 2008 and the UK got 2009 models of XF in early 08, then who did the aforementioned steps? For historical accuracy, it was Ford. Or Ian Callum and Jaguar with vast resources from Ford that they otherwise would not have the money to access. Tata was smart. They bought when JLR was about to turn the corner. But they bought the work product of Jaguar and Ford. Tata has allowed Jaguar to follow it's own direction which has worked out quite well for both parties...and the members of this forum.

Executive (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>There are No Ford parts in the current Jaguars (XF especially) . Not sure why people have been mentioning Ford when they haven't had anything to do with jaguar since 2008.

Sorry, but not to be pedantic, but...

An XF is essentially a rebodied S-Type still using the AJ V8 developed for use by both Ford and Jaguar. The S-Type was co-developed for use as both the S-Type and the Lincoln LS/Ford Thunderbird.

Any knowledgeable person who denies the Ford heritage is clearly a snob who has no respect for the large-scale engineering expertise that Ford used to save Jaguar.

The alternate question is what do "those people" think of Aston Martin and Volvo both of which were, likewise, owned by Ford and upon whom Ford invested considerable amount of money?

Ya, and Lexus is a Toyota, Infinity a Nissan, Acura a Honda, la, la, la
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM

The XF came out under Ford's stewardship, Tata had no hand in it. As for the refresh yes Tata had a hand in that but the original XF is based on the DEW98 which was also shared with the Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird, came about during the Ford years.

Also Jaguar's use of aluminum came about while they were owned for Ford. I realize that they may not have managed them as best as they could have but they did sink a lot of money into Jaguar.

Last edited by Bellanca_XF; 06-17-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Executive (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by thecurryman
A very interesting thread to read although there are decently a few misconceptions

First of all, Tata motors bought jaguar (and Land Rover) in 2008. It was Tata that released the XF class jaguar. Not Ford. There are No Ford parts in the current Jaguars (XF especially) . Not sure why people have been mentioning Ford when they haven't had anything to do with jaguar since 2008.
Yea okay. Go pop the hood on the XF, every part has FoMoCo stamped on it. Do you know what FoMoCo stands for? Ford Motor Company.

XF being released under Tata doesn't mean anything. It's still an old platform, DEW Lincoln LS, S type.

For people who aren't in the know, that's what they all think - Ford has no association with Jaguar. The reality is, Ford is still supplying parts for Jaguar. And, still has contract with them till 2016. Which will probably be extended.

Last edited by Executive; 06-17-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:44 PM

Yeah the 2.0L in the XF and Evoque is nothing more than an EcoBoost engine. Though I would imagine the contract for that will be up once JLR has the ingenuim engines being produced. But the 4.4L Lion used in the Land Rovers in other markets was co developed with Ford too.

Quick Reply: People's perception of your Jaguar and why it's exclusive