XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Respraying my Selena rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Respraying my Selena rims

As some of you might know I bought my 2010 XF SC a couple months ago. It came equipped with the 20 inch OEM Jaguar Selena rims, which are very very nice, but unfortunately quite scratched up by the previous owner. The front rims also have a very slight bend to them (almost undetectable, according to the guys at my tire shop) likely caused by the previous owner hitting a curb.

I decided I'm going to have them repaired and resprayed, and while doing so I think I'm going to go ahead and have them resprayed gunmetal gray. Partly because I love the look of dark gray rims and partly because brake dust will not be as obvious.

I have two reasons for starting this thread:

First of all I want to share this little "project" with you. Maybe someone else has been thinking about respraying their Selena rims (or will consider it sometime in the future, and stumble over this thread) but aren't sure how dark gray Selenas it will actually look on the XF (particularly on a silver XF like mine).

Secondly I want to see if anyone else on this forum has had their Selenas resprayed. If so, how did it turn out? I performed a few searches on this forum but I did not come up with anything relevant. Maybe I just suck at searching.

My 2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged with stock Selena rims, as it looked when I first brought it home. After pictures of the resprayed Selena rims to come.

Also considering respraying the bottom part of the rear bumper, where the tailpipes come out, the same color, gunmetal gray. What do you think about that? Yay/nay?

Current look of the bottom part of the rear bumper of my 2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged. Might respray it gunmetal gray.

Anyway, that's my little project for now. Will hopefully go through with it soon and when I do I will update with more pics.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

I wouldn't do the rear valance unless you're planning a lot more changes. With the silver on the body, the chrome on the trim and grill, and the newly introduced charcoal on the rims, there is already enough going on. Get the rims done then think about how you want to proceed.

The following users liked this post:
Humphrey (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I wouldn't do the rear valance unless you're planning a lot more changes. With the silver on the body, the chrome on the trim and grill, and the newly introduced charcoal on the rims, there is already enough going on. Get the rims done then think about how you want to proceed.
Good advice, and will do. I'll do it one step at a time and the rims are definitely priority one for a number of reasons (scratches, slightly bent, darker color will hide brake dust better, will hopefully look better too).

Thanks for your input!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

No worries. Took me some time to figure out a plan I'd be really happy with. Just have to get my bumper resprayed (someone stole my tow hook cover and the bottom is a bit chewed up from driveways) than put on the Mina carbon splitters and I can feel pretty satisfied with what I've put together.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I have chrome Selena's. In a box in the garage. Not a fan of chrome. I did however have my oem wheels on my silver STR fixed painted and cleared. I did a Lamborghini grey. I liked the the look a lot and did the mirrors too . I too would do just one thing at a time so u can tie it all together the way you like.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I also have a 2010 XF (SC) with Selenas. You should get the bent wheel straightened. FYI the Selenas bend very easily - Evan a pothole can put a bend in them. They are a very soft metal

Great idea to respray - let me know how it goes and what you do (sand them down? Sand blast etc? What specific paint, clear coat etc?)

Also fyi those chrome pieces in the middle of each spoke unscrew from the back (they are actually chromed plastic). They clean up really well using brasso type silver polish.

Agree on valence - I wouldn't spray that
Look fwd to seeing photos of the wheels

Old 04-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Humphrey - just wanted to check-in and see if you have resprayed the Selena's yet? I've just taken mine off for the summer (they have my winter wheels on them now) and am considering cleaning them up / respraying them etc. Never done it before, but I have time (as they won't go back on until November) so wondering if this is something I can do myself with patience, or whether it should be a professional job...
If you did yours would love to see photos of the colour, and an indication of price too!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Guys

does anyone know what is the colour name/code for xf selena rims?
Thank you
Mag

Old 04-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

It seems as far as I could find that there is no color name so you can't buy an off the shelf paint. Two options - either get them color matched at an auto spray paint shop - but hard to get the finish to match as well as the color. Or respray them a color of your choice.
I used the dupli color EHWP10107 Silver High Performance Wheel Paint. And the matching clear coat wheel paint
Sanded and resprayed all four and v pleased with the results. Wasn't too hard
Been 3 winters now and they have held up well

Note the chrome plastic bits in each spoke come off and a bit of silver polish cleans them up really well. Buy spare spring clips to hold them on (2 per spoke) as they bend when you remove them

Old 04-20-2019, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Photos during and after

Attached Thumbnails Respraying my Selena rims-photo640.jpg   Respraying my Selena rims-photo360.jpg   Respraying my Selena rims-photo175.jpg   Respraying my Selena rims-photo866.jpg   Respraying my Selena rims-photo394.jpg  

Old 04-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Very much