XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Restricted performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 06:22 PM
AKW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restricted performance

So I was driving down the highway, when I noticed on my dash the "restricted performance" warning. So I tried revving it up a little to see what would happen and the car revved to about 3-4k and stopped and even with the rev, there wasnt much power from it.

Prior to that, I was driving average I guess around 2krpm with maybe one or 2 pumps to 4k. Anyways, so I pulled over, turned off the car and turned it back on after a couple of seconds and it was still there. Drove for about 2/3kms more and the sign went away by itself.

When I got to work, I checked the engine bay and took off the engine cover for cracks, messed up tubing, checked the intake box and just general checking for anything out of the ordinary. And found nothing.... so now I am wondering is this just a over heating issue, something known about this happening often? I live in Ont and it was quite chilly today. The car has about 86k kms on it and I just recently had the oil filter and the 2 belts changed, because the last 2 were pretty bad. I have owned the car for about 2 weeks now. I can try to upload a video of when it happened, if you guys can tell me how to post videos. Though I dont know if it will really help much.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:31 PM

I would say try to put tester on it and read the error logs. From there on you should know which way to look.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

Agree on pulling the codes. Given you've only had it for 2 wks I'd bet this is an ongoing issue and perhaps why the previous owner sold it. So would look into it ASAP
How did you buy and any recourse? If it was an authorized trade sale you might have a 30 day warranty / return period. If so, get diagnostic done fast and consider sending it back...

Old 10-14-2018, 04:48 PM
AKW

Originally Posted by BritCars
Agree on pulling the codes. Given you've only had it for 2 wks I'd bet this is an ongoing issue and perhaps why the previous owner sold it. So would look into it ASAP
How did you buy and any recourse? If it was an authorized trade sale you might have a 30 day warranty / return period. If so, get diagnostic done fast and consider sending it back...
thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. I checked it the next morning and my intake tube going into the TB wasnt tighten properly so it wasnt fully in. I assume it was after I got the belts changed.

i will still end up checking the obd for codes, just in case. And yeah I bought it from a dealer so I have the 30 day grace period.

Last edited by AKW; 10-14-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:00 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Check the battery voltage across the terminals as a failing or weak battery can cause random DTCs and instrument cluster warnings. Measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the ignition being in the off position for at least ten minutes. If the voltage is less than 12.6 volts, charge the battery overnight and retest it the following day. If it still measures less than 12.6 volts, the battery should be replaced.