XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Sat Nav lost bearing by 2 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sat Nav lost bearing by 2 miles

Travelling south to Cambridge, satnav OK, until hit new extension of A14. Sat nav lost location & now will not relocate to correct location. Showing as 2.2 miles away from site. Have tried all system available resets, no joy. Believe satnav is HDD behind media screen. It is not located anywhere else in car. Any suggestions on how to reboot the system?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Mal

Old 08-22-2022, 02:59 AM
Default Update

Sorry, I thought I had added my vehicle details to my profile, but it doesn’t seem to have saved.
XF RSport Black Sportbrake 2015 (65)

Old 08-22-2022, 12:24 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

You're SatNav provider MAY be the same as my 2017 Jaguar (Intouch Nav and GPS). I was informed that on the 2016/2017 models there is no fuse you can pull or button reset you can do that allows a civilian to un-shake the SatNav Software back to normal once its marbles get scrambled. (Maybe that makes sense to be that way, since Jaguar's security tracking is also reliant on your GPS not being tampered with).

But you did mention a possible DIY clue. You mentioned this occurring at the point of the new road extension. If you have not been keeping up with map updates, having your SD card loaded with the newest map from your computer may unscramble the current problem.

You can also try loading a simple string of map journeys into the SatNav: Guide me to nearest petrol station + kid's school address + back home address, and allow SatNave to guide you on this short string of short destinations to give the SatNav time to get its head back together.

OR you can also try simply physically pulling out the SD card, and going for a short drive WITHOUT a map for the SatNav to read. Put he SD card back in the next day, and see if the SatNav is still confused.

Keep in mind, the problem is very seldom "in the unit of your car". These units must send their information OUT to a GPS-navigation reception service, the service relays traffic reports and sat location information back to the unit, and it often can be delays in that two-part "communication" that cause your unit to become confused about where you are, or become late in its guidance instructions to you. If it proves to be a delay in communications, that's where only dealer's mechanic and his Software reboot can help, and no matter what you follow here, you may still need to take the car for them to remedy properly

Old 08-22-2022, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the response. One of your suggestions is to pull the SD CARD.
Any clues on where that may be?
I’ve checked the boot, the glove box, the centre consoles & under the dash unit, no joy!

Regards
Mal

Old 08-22-2022, 02:21 PM
Received 261 Likes on 195 Posts

In North America the updates are done using a USB stick on 2012 -2015 jaguar XF cars. One has to carefully follow the directions when reloading the software or you can screw the system up. The USB stick is removed after update.
As far as I can see the UK cars use the same system( different maps of course).

Old 08-23-2022, 02:35 AM

Thanks for the response, as I understand it, my model has the sat nav loaded on a HDD, which is located behind the media centre screen. There seems to be no external access to it. On holiday at the moment. When I return home I will try out the suggestion of inputting short local trips & see if that triggers a change

Old 08-24-2022, 06:34 AM

If you open the centre console arm rest you should find various input facilities for the audio/navigation facilities including a USB port.

The following users liked this post:
Swordfish1 (08-25-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 08:06 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Outstanding! This has become an excellent learning session for me also. My knowledge doesn't go back before 2015/2016 models, and on our US 2017's we have the SD card fitted into a card-slot under the center console cubby. (We also have the USB slot located under that cubby lid, but it appears to be reserved for owner's usb-stored music and media).

We are advised to pull that SD card, and use our home computers to download updated mapping from Jaguar's 3rd party service, in order to keep the maps current. We're advised to do this TWICE a year, but because of the high fee from that service, many of us don't worry to update our SD card map more than once every three years or so.

So this may be the first time you have ever opted to do a SatNav update on your car, Swordfish-1.
You may have a lot of new work waiting for you when you return from holiday, LOL! Enjoy and stay safe out there!

Old 08-25-2022, 02:05 AM

Thanks for that, I am aware of the input devices, however I have no clue on how you would update the satnav from there without having a dealer supply the appropriate software on a USB stick. Which I presume is not going to be free!!
When I return from holiday I’ll give the dealership a ring & see what they suggest, after I’ve tried the local journeys option.
Thanks for your input

Old 08-25-2022, 07:22 AM

I would forget the dealer. Try www.herenavigation.com . It is easy to navigate and find the right media for your specific vehicle. Oh yes it does not come free you are looking at $199

Last edited by Six Rotors; 08-25-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 295 Posts

This is what I did for a few members and it worked perfect

Old 08-27-2022, 09:29 AM

Thanks for that, but no thanks. Don’t think I’ll be dismantling my dashboard.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:58 PM
Default Update on issue!!

2 days back at home, Sat nav now re-initialised on start up & back on track. I’m guessing that the new road section of the A14 caused the system to lose bearing.
Expensive bill avoided.
Thanks to all for suggestions