XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Spare Key Fob not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spare Key Fob not working

It has the same blade inside as my other working key but after 2 new batterires have been tried it wont work. I've even tried holding the battery against the circuit board and pressing the buttons directly on it but it still won't work. Any ideas? It's the keyless entry fob where you just need to keep it in your pocket to open the door and start the car.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

On the XK / XKR board here a member posted yesterday that he got one to work from AutoZone for $25.

The following users liked this post:
Leet8845 (10-23-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

Have you tried docking the key fob in the car? There is a slot somewhere around where your knee goes in the drivers seat - below the trunk release I think. You slide it in. You can test if it at least works to start the engine (in which case it is coded correctly) and it might also reset it for you.

Leet8845 (10-23-2017)
Old 07-26-2018, 03:56 PM

I finally got round to testing the spare key fob in the slot and it does start the car with it in. It does say keycard not found though but that might be because there is still no remote signal from it. Any ideas as to what I should do next?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 672 Posts

Myself and several others have experienced simply that the battery contacts, both pos and neg, get metal fatigue and simply don't press hard enough against the battery anymore. Bend the tiny tabs back slightly towards the battery to restore the pressure on the contacts. Hopefully that is your only problem.

Leet8845 (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 05:38 AM

Thanks, I gave that a shot but it's still not working. I found a guy on Ebay who fixes Jag keys, he says he will try, no fix, no fee so it's worth a go.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:31 PM

I've had the key back and the guy has changed all the buttons and says that it is working but it still fails to open my doors or start the car without going into the slot.

I asked the guy and he says 'are you sure it's programmed for the car?'. It has never worked since I had it but user Brit Cars said that if it starts the car when in the slot then it must be coded, which makes sense. Can anyone else confirm this though?

Old 08-05-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

Two thoughts. First just to confirm when you put it in the slot and start the car, the other keyfob is not in the car? Just want to confirm it's really that one starting it!

Also are you 100pc sure the battery is in the right way? It sounds like the fob is not getting any battery power so it can start the car in the slot where power isn't needed but not from just being in the car. Maybe one of the battery contacts has come detached from the circuit board?

Also - to confirm. None of the buttons work on the spare fob either?

Old 08-05-2018, 05:13 PM

Thanks for your input once again.

I'm pretty sure it's not the key because I did have that thought too so I put the working key inside the house, then inside one of those signal blocking wallets (unless they don't work?) Also, when the spare (broken) key is in the slot, it does start the car, if I remove it, it won't start car. It does continue to tell me that the smart key is missing even though it starts the car though.

I changed the battery in the working key so I know the correct way plus the repair guy put a another new battery in the spare too. If it's one of the contacts on the circuit boards, this is kind of thing that would have been missed by the repair guy, so hopefully I can send it back to him.

I just needed to confirm that if the key starts the car when in the slot, then it must programmed for the car, which would imply the the remote locking should also work. Providing the working key isn't interfering from within the house, which I will retest by also moving the key to the back garden. I think we've done that, haven't we?