XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharger Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bydand
So, how many miles are on the car?

Yes, appears to be a little louder than mine.

Yes, it is still under warranty!!

I would go back and speak to the dealer first before Jaguar HQ.

The dealers do tend to be disgustingly polite....
I mean crawling and scraping polite without any technical knowledge or abilities.
Reminds me of a scene in Pretty Women. You Know the one.

The dealers sell cars. Jaguar manufacture and honour the warranty on that car.

You are correct, generally dealers give no feed back on issues, just e mails and phone calls to fill in their feed back forms. On how do you find our service?

Well fill it in.

I would go back to the dealer and explain your concern, with the loud engine noise and you do require feed back so this is recorded in the service history, before you may have go to Jaguar HQ if this is not resolved to your satisfaction.

There is no point, at this stage making a big deal about it on a public forum.
(If you know where I am coming from.)

I'm at 79,500 km (49399 Miles). And i tried talking to the dealership, and she said she will not be taking my car in again as theres nothing wrong with it. So i have no other option but to go to HQ.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasin Dhaliwal
I'm at 79,500 km (49399 Miles). And i tried talking to the dealership, and she said she will not be taking my car in again as theres nothing wrong with it. So i have no other option but to go to HQ.
Well, I think you have gone as far as you can with this dealer.

If you read post #4 and the 3.0 ltr SC service bulletin. You will be heading for a new supercharger, due to excessive noise.

Good Luck in you dealings with Jaguar HQ direct, and let us know when it turns out well.

I am sure they are fair and reasonable and appriciate the Canadian market etc.

Last edited by bydand; 02-13-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:53 PM

Sounds good, will keep you guys updated.
This was her reasoning....

Old 02-13-2017, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

They blames the clunk on the "age of the car" and the km on it. Its a 2013..... and still under factory warranty. Said its bound to get louder with the age.............. Absolutely unacceptable by Jaguar
you mean Absolutely unacceptable by eaton . jaguar does not build the supercharger . your rage is echoed throughout the ctsv and buick and mustang forums . same issues right across the eaton blown world .

my question is did they fit a spring coupler or a solid coupler ? and if sprung did they put the spring on the correct side of the drive pin ?

my old eaton m112 jumped the spring over the drive pin and sounded just like yours does now . so i fitted an upgrade solid coupler and now have to listen to it backlashing of the slightly worn gears at low rpm just above idle and deceleration . its not as loud as the old crook spring coupler however . so ill live with it . i was told also that any wear to the rotor bearings or gears is not repairable and must be replaced as a whole.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Datsports
you mean Absolutely unacceptable by eaton . jaguar does not build the supercharger . your rage is echoed throughout the ctsv and buick and mustang forums . same issues right across the eaton blown world .

my question is did they fit a spring coupler or a solid coupler ? and if sprung did they put the spring on the correct side of the drive pin ?

my old eaton m112 jumped the spring over the drive pin and sounded just like yours does now . so i fitted an upgrade solid coupler and now have to listen to it backlashing of the slightly worn gears at low rpm just above idle and deceleration . its not as loud as the old crook spring coupler however . so ill live with it . i was told also that any wear to the rotor bearings or gears is not repairable and must be replaced as a whole.
I believe its a spring coupler in it. Thats just from what i read on forums that they put in there.
BUT,
Just got a third opinion from a third party mechanic and he listed to it, and said it sounds like the front bearing is sounding bad on it, so it will be a full replacement. Sadly my dealership isn't willing to listen to that, and are being stubborn jacka$$es.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

dude if that was a crook front bearing it would rumble like a freight train all the time and get worse with rpm .and constantly deteriorate . if indeed its a spring coupler my bet is it is installed incorrectly . with the spring on the wrong side of the drive pin . mine made the sound yours is making as i said when my coupler spring jumped over to the wrong side od the pin . its fresh in my head as it only happened not two weeks ago .

this is what it should look like notice all the pin stops are smashed out of the old one from recoiling the spring under boost and slamming the pins at the stops wich i believe is your shut down sound .

you can see under boost the spring was pushed to the stops because the spring was on the wrong side . the spring should hold the three drive pins in the stop position and damper the over run . my bet yours is wrong as well .

jaguar do have a black solid coupler that they do fit , similar to this green one i just fitted to mine .

and these do resinate the sound of any gear lash or back lash that the spring damper would disguise with its cushioning affect . and does sound a little like a bad bearing . as mine now has audible gear lash that it never had until i fitted the solid coupler .
see here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ads-up-176686/

although called a solid coupler it is in fact jell filled flexible nylon . much like the jaguar upgrade black unit , like this one

The following 3 users liked this post by Datsports:
George05 (05-21-2020), Jasin Dhaliwal (02-14-2017), User 070620 (12-30-2019)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Datsports
dude if that was a crook front bearing it would rumble like a freight train all the time and get worse with rpm .and constantly deteriorate . if indeed its a spring coupler my bet is it is installed incorrectly . with the spring on the wrong side of the drive pin . mine made the sound yours is making as i said when my coupler spring jumped over to the wrong side od the pin . its fresh in my head as it only happened not two weeks ago .

this is what it should look like notice all the pin stops are smashed out of the old one from recoiling the spring under boost and slamming the pins at the stops wich i believe is your shut down sound .

you can see under boost the spring was pushed to the stops because the spring was on the wrong side . the spring should hold the three drive pins in the stop position and damper the over run . my bet yours is wrong as well .

jaguar do have a black solid coupler that they do fit , similar to this green one i just fitted to mine .

and these do resinate the sound of any gear lash or back lash that the spring damper would disguise with its cushioning affect . and does sound a little like a bad bearing . as mine now has audible gear lash that it never had until i fitted the solid coupler .
see here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ads-up-176686/

although called a solid coupler it is in fact jell filled flexible nylon . much like the jaguar upgrade black unit , like this one

Wow thanks really appreciate the help here!
I will inquire about this with the dealer i will be visiting in another City. Will keep you update it.

Thanks once agin!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Got my F-Type back yesterday after the local dealer performed the torsion isolator rattle fix, ie installed the kit shown earlier.
I couldn't detect any difference, it still seems to rattle the same as before!
Maybe I was expecting something approaching silence and I'm just disappointed there is still a noticeable rattle?
They assured me that the kit was applied and the tech is now happy, and that they did find some wear on the original torsion isolator.
In my case the rattle is loudish, enough to definitely notice but not loud enough to be really offensive.
As the engine warms and the idle revs drop the rattle decreases a bit, then at warm idle it's an irregular rattle, not a constant "tick" like the injector noise (which I can also hear). It's definitely coming from the top/inside of the supercharger cooling jacket.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:50 PM

I ended up going to the dealership to the next closest city, and it was confirmed that i need a new supercharger. Don't know what the dealership in my city was thinking and doing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jasin Dhaliwal:
dmchao (08-26-2019), The_Ikon (02-05-2022)
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

I had mine changed about a week ago and noise has gone completely. It sounded like a marble was loose inside the supercharger.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

I ended up going to the dealership to the next closest city, and it was confirmed that i need a new supercharger. Don't know what the dealership in my city was thinking and doing.
I don't know what it is with these dealers. You go in for any type of service and they want to do all manner of work - wipers, alignment, fuel cleaners and usually without any indication that anything is actually needed. You turn up with a genuine issue when the car is still under warranty and they seem to do everything possible to avoid making the repair.

The following users liked this post:
The_Ikon (02-05-2022)
Old 02-17-2017, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
I don't know what it is with these dealers. You go in for any type of service and they want to do all manner of work - wipers, alignment, fuel cleaners and usually without any indication that anything is actually needed. You turn up with a genuine issue when the car is still under warranty and they seem to do everything possible to avoid making the repair.
Couldn't agree more. Dealer managed to waste my money with gas costs and a nights stay in the other city, along with a grand total of 12 hours of driving. Called her from the other city to see what she had to say, ended up hanging up the phone on me after i questioned her competence and how she was so obviously wrong but unwilling to admit it.

Definitely going to try to recover the costs at the very minimum from them, as Headquarters said they will back me up on the from the dealership.

Definitely didn't buy a Jag to have to go through this garbage.

And thanks for the help from everyone above! Was all very appreciated!!

Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

I am relieved to hear that your issue was resolved !!! Just wondering what the process of contacting Jag HQ was like and what is their contact info?. How did you get in touch with them to initiate the process? How long did it take to get a response?

Old 02-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I am relieved to hear that your issue was resolved !!! Just wondering what the process of contacting Jag HQ was like and what is their contact info?. How did you get in touch with them to initiate the process? How long did it take to get a response?
I sent them an email using their contact form. This varies by country, so just go to your contact country's jag website and write it out. They got back to me in 2 business days. And they started a claim. They were relatively easy to deal with.

You can also call them @ 1-800-668-6257 (not sure if this varies by country as well, may wanna check that) . They are very busy during the evenings, so recommend calling them during the mornings.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I sent them an email using their contact form. This varies by country, so just go to your contact country's jag website and write it out. They got back to me in 2 business days. And they started a claim. They were relatively easy to deal with.

You can also call them @ 1-800-668-6257 (not sure if this varies by country as well, may wanna check that) . They are very busy during the evenings, so recommend calling them during the mornings.

Hope this helps!
Hey Jason, I'm dealing with the same issue. Same exact rattle upon engine shutdown. My car is a 2015 3.0 AWD, and my home dealership in Toronto agreed that the supercharger needs to be replaced, though they wont cover the cost nor will the CPO warranty - reason? JLR North America: The vehicle is too new with too little mileage (65k KMs) to warrant changing a part that should not jave gone bad, despite showing a complete and up to date service history.

Did you end up getting your supercharger unit replaced? If so, was it covered under your factory or CPO warranty?

Let me know!

Old 05-21-2020, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

I have a 2013 Jaguar SC that’s making a loud rattling noise. It seems to me you know a lot about Jaguars. Could you help please?

Old 05-21-2020, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Got my F-Type back yesterday after the local dealer performed the torsion isolator rattle fix, ie installed the kit shown earlier.
I couldn't detect any difference, it still seems to rattle the same as before!
Maybe I was expecting something approaching silence and I'm just disappointed there is still a noticeable rattle?
They assured me that the kit was applied and the tech is now happy, and that they did find some wear on the original torsion isolator.
In my case the rattle is loudish, enough to definitely notice but not loud enough to be really offensive.
As the engine warms and the idle revs drop the rattle decreases a bit, then at warm idle it's an irregular rattle, not a constant "tick" like the injector noise (which I can also hear). It's definitely coming from the top/inside of the supercharger cooling jacket.
How was the supercharged oil level ? out of interest as you live in a very warm country and the oil can evaporate

Old 05-21-2020, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dixianah Mack
I have a 2013 Jaguar SC that’s making a loud rattling noise. It seems to me you know a lot about Jaguars. Could you help please?
If you could explain in more detail , Some very help full guys on here willing to help

Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
How was the supercharged oil level ? out of interest as you live in a very warm country and the oil can evaporate
I have no idea of the SC oil level as they didn't mention it and I didn't know much about it back then (I do now!).
I doubt they changed it as it is not mentioned in the TSB.
Not sure how it can evaporate as the body of the SC is a completely sealed unit.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have no idea of the SC oil level as they didn't mention it and I didn't know much about it back then (I do now!).
I doubt they changed it as it is not mentioned in the TSB.
Not sure how it can evaporate as the body of the SC is a completely sealed unit.
Don't know myself how it evapote myself but it does over time, the oil is very thin, when I changed mine I pulled out 120mls and put back in 170mls if memory is correct, black gunge came out of a car with less than 60k miles sealed for life aye right pull the other leg it plays the bagpipes

Quick Reply: Supercharger Rattle?