XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

TPMS Module - Location on XF

Old 08-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Module - Location on XF

Hello All,

I've read all the threads on the TPMS problems. However, I've never seen anyone say exactly where the TPMS module is located on the XF.

I'd like to inspect mine and change it out myself (most likely).

FYI The instrument cluster rotates reporting low pressure on each of the four tires before it abruptly stops reporting as if all is fine.

Thanks for your help.

Charles

Old 08-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna
Hello All,

I've read all the threads on the TPMS problems. However, I've never seen anyone say exactly where the TPMS module is located on the XF.

I'd like to inspect mine and change it out myself (most likely).

FYI The instrument cluster rotates reporting low pressure on each of the four tires before it abruptly stops reporting as if all is fine.

Thanks for your help.

Charles
There is a good chance the dealer can correct the TPMS with a software update. Changing it yourself won't save you much. It still has to be configured and the sensor ID's programmed in for the system to work properly.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
El_Jalepeno (04-04-2018)
Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
...Changing it yourself won't save you much. It still has to be configured and the sensor ID's programmed in for the system to work properly.
I appreciate the reply and information. It sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'm unclear still on how that fits in with other information I've seen.

I read in the manual where the TPMS can detect new sensors installed on wheels if you follow certain steps. The below is from the manual page 216. If the TPMS can install new sensors then it seems logical that a new TPMS would be able to detect existing sensors.

Can you please help me understand what seems like a gap in information?

Thanks

Code:
Replacement sensor
Should the sensor require replacing, it should 
be carried out by a Dealer.
A replacement sensor must be fitted to a 
running wheel in order to be recognised by the 
system. The vehicle needs to be stationary for 
15 minutes during the sensor fitment before 
the system is ready to detect the new sensor. 
The vehicle must be driven for a minimum of 
fifteen minutes after the sensor change, and 
then remain stationary for fifteen minutes to 
activate full TPMS operation.
If the TPMS warning for any wheel does not 
clear, even after ensuring correct inflation and 
driving for more than ten minutes above 
25 km/h (18 mph), you should seek qualified 
assistance as soon as possible.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:50 PM

I just wanted to get back to you and say thanks for the help. It's been installed for 2 weeks and that giant yellow warning on the dash has stayed away.

I'm in Guadalajara Mexico and the parts like this are not in stock in the dealership. It can take weeks to get non service type parts. I order the following part online C2Z1523 TPMS module. I knew I had to have it programmed because of your advice so I had the local dealer install it and they charged 1 hour labor.

Very happy now. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Does anyone else think TPMS is just the biggest pile of p00 ever? It doesn't matter what vehicle manufacturer you look at, the owners forums are full of TPMS woes and expensive dealer only fixes. I really wish I could disable the whole thing (I currently have intermittent TPMS faults that I have no desire to fix).

El_Jalepeno (04-04-2018)
Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

This would most likely have been fixed with a software re flash. I'm not sure if a replacement of the module was required

Old 01-31-2015, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by nasa25
This would most likely have been fixed with a software re flash. I'm not sure if a replacement of the module was required
I wish I would have heard this before hand. I spent a good amount of time here searching and nothing was concrete for a solution. Lots of theories.

My problem seemed like a bad unit or connection because there would be no warnings at all and then suddenly all 4 tires would supposedly go low at the drop of a hat. I'm not 100% sure but I think this would happen sometimes on a pot hole.

As far as the re-flash fix is concerned I don't think that was done. So if that's the case and the problem went away then wouldn't it be logical to assume the new unit was required?

Old 01-31-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by timfountain
Does anyone else think TPMS is just the biggest pile of p00 ever?
I think I drove around for a year with those ridiculous messages going off on my dash. After a while you do everything in your power to ignore it which defeats the purpose. In the end you might have a tire completely flat and still drive away on it.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:43 AM

I wish I would have heard this before hand. I spent a good amount of time here searching and nothing was concrete for a solution. Lots of theories.

My problem seemed like a bad unit or connection because there would be no warnings at all and then suddenly all 4 tires would supposedly go low at the drop of a hat. I'm not 100% sure but I think this would happen sometimes on a pot hole.

As far as the re-flash fix is concerned I don't think that was done. So if that's the case and the problem went away then wouldn't it be logical to assume the new unit was required?
If your low pressure warnings were rotating from tire to tire, the software update would have 99.9% fixed your issue. If all 4 tires were suddenly showing low pressure AT THE SAME TIME then perhaps the new unit was required. I've never heard of all throwing the warning at the same time.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

TPMS is mandated by our wonderful federal government. We have to be looked after by Uncle Sugar as we are all too stupid to use a tire gauge.

kansanbrit (10-17-2020)
Old 02-02-2015, 01:10 AM

nasa25, Yeah, since the low pressure warning can't show all 4 at once they did rotate on the display. A moment prior to this there were no warnings.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:47 PM

nasa25, Yeah, since the low pressure warning can't show all 4 at once they did rotate on the display. A moment prior to this there were no warnings.
A software reflash would have done the trick. Too late now but at least you have the updated tpms module.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

informative thread .have been struggling with the service tpms since I bought this car (at auction theft recovery no wheels .bought /installed sensors at discount tire .reset unit said low preasure front left/right rear .then after 20 miles goes into failure mode .have a spare module put it in saterday and now says both front and 1 rear low before failure )I guess I need to see if a reflash would cure it.i really wish I could eliminate it though!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To reiterate what has been said, I had a similar issue with all tires flashing yellow on and off for days at a time, but no pressure loss. I finally had my dealer look at it and they said the software was old and corrupt, so they re-flashed the TPMS module. All seems fine now, but they did say if the flash update didn't take, the module would have to be replaced. So there you go, get it flashed before buying anything to rpelace.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So I called my dealer which is 1+ hr away, they said they will not flash any software at all for any car. They said, it’s best to get the module itself replaced because if I’m having any issues or codes that means there is some internal problem/damage so they will only replace the module itself and I’m waiting on a quote now. Sheesh, I can imagine a lengthy bill for this... lol

Old 04-05-2018, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Either you need a different dealer or they misunderstood the request. There are dozens of people on here who have had intermittent / system issues on the tpms and the dealer reflashes / programs the module and often that clears it up. So not sure why they are saying they can't do that

Old 04-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Either you need a different dealer or they misunderstood the request. There are dozens of people on here who have had intermittent / system issues on the tpms and the dealer reflashes / programs the module and often that clears it up. So not sure why they are saying they can't do that
yeah i definitely need a new dealer there is always some issue both work wise and money wise with them

Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
also I called another dealer, that was same distance as them, they said they could do it for $150. I don’t like taking my car to that dealer either because they’re really bad. Work wise they always mess something up and it takes a second or third time to fix the issue, but it is what it is atleast they’ll do it.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

To do the reflash that sounds about right. And typically has to be a dealer as they have the right software
They aren't all bad - I've been with my jag dealer the last 5 years and had terrific service. If you have choices then vote with your feet and find one that works for you
Good luck.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged Jag

also I called another dealer, that was same distance as them, they said they could do it for $150. I don’t like taking my car to that dealer either because they’re really bad. Work wise they always mess something up and it takes a second or third time to fix the issue, but it is what it is atleast they’ll do it.
I see you are sometimes in Houston, what Dealers are you using?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS Module - Location on XF