XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

"Transmission Malfunction" error message

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts
Default "Transmission Malfunction" error message

Has anyone ever seen this pop up on the dashboard screen?

My wife and I took an extended (for us) ride in our '09 XF, last week, which was about 110 miles each way, on the NY State Thruway, at speeds of 70-75 MPH.

The car performed perfectly on our way to our destination. On the return trip, the car was again running well. We stopped briefly at a local shopping mall, before completing the trip home. The car was parked for about 15 minutes, and when we got back into the car and attempted to start it, the car ran very roughly, "coughed" a few times, then stalled. The dash screen briefly showed the "transmission malfunction" message, in yellow letters.

I shut the ignition off, waited about 10 seconds, then tried again. The car fired up normally, and has been OK since. I hooked up my scanner yesterday, and there were no error codes present. However, I'm concerned that something might be amiss.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Old 06-28-2016, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

How old is your battery ? The Jag and LR ECMs are known to get skittish when the voltage supply isn't what it should be. If there were portents of doom I would have expected at least some codes to remain stored even if they didn't trigger a check engine or other warning.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:25 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

+1 on checking the battery. With the ignition in the off position, there should be 12.2 volts or more across the terminals, if not, the battery must be replaced.

You do not mention the number of kilometres/miles on the vehicle. Bear in mind that the TCM communicates with other modules in the vehicle and if a misfire(s) is detected, the TCM will not allow normal shifting to protect the gearbox.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

The car is an '09, with 28,000 miles on it. The battery is 2.5 years old. This "incident" occurred after the car was driven approximately 90 miles at 75 MPH, so unless the alternator is going bad, I would think that the battery SHOULD have been at full voltage, when this happened.

This "incident" occurred 3 days ago, and the car was driven briefly yesterday, as I had to move it within the garage, in order to be able to get the driver's door opened, to hook up my scanner. Nonetheless, the battery, today, read 12.25 volts. I doubt that the drive belt is slipping, as I would most likely hear it squealing, but furthermore, I replaced it last year, "just because".

So far, I'm stumped..........

Thanks for the ideas!