XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

The Ultimate LED Q&A Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nasa25
Ahhhhh I'd really love to do the LED change out but I'm afraid of issues it might cause with the electrical system.

Is there really any reason to be concerned?
I've had mine switched out for a little over a year on my 09 XF and haven't had any electrical problems so far, however the bulbs I used go out very quickly when I put them on the license plate, I've had to replace those bulbs around 8 times so far (I had a pack of 20 of those bulbs). However those same bulbs have not gone out in any other place

Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gpennington
I've had mine switched out for a little over a year on my 09 XF and haven't had any electrical problems so far, however the bulbs I used go out very quickly when I put them on the license plate, I've had to replace those bulbs around 8 times so far (I had a pack of 20 of those bulbs). However those same bulbs have not gone out in any other place
Thanks for the response. I ordered a 10 pack of 194 LED's which I'll use to replace the w5w's and see how it goes.

My main interest is in changing out the halogen side marker bulbs. They don't really look good sitting beside the HID low beams.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCpl
Okay guys, What would be really really helpful for us girls is instead of pics on changing out leds does anyone have a Video tutorial (YouTube) on how to swap out the the footwells, Puddle lights under the mirrors and front light maps which is in the over head compartment among all the other switches. Just need to see how it was done on video. Want to do this myself without asking my husband. :-).. HELP...
The puddle lights are tricky but I was able to get them out after a few weeks of trying. I posted procedures and pics which are in this thread. The light housing tabs are pretty stiff so the first time getting them out is hardest, after that they are very easy to get out. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2015, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks for the response. I ordered a 10 pack of 194 LED's which I'll use to replace the w5w's and see how it goes.

My main interest is in changing out the halogen side marker bulbs. They don't really look good sitting beside the HID low beams.
"halogen side marker bulbs"? Not sure what you mean here.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
"halogen side marker bulbs"? Not sure what you mean here.
Sorry not halogen just regular w5w side marker bulbs

Old 03-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

All of the exterior lighting on my '12 XF, except for the tag lamps is already LED. Tag lamps swapped out with no issues. Changed all the interior lighting and had no problems. I don't think you will have any problems with marker lights.

The following users liked this post:
nasa25 (03-28-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
All of the exterior lighting on my '12 XF, except for the tag lamps is already LED. Tag lamps swapped out with no issues. Changed all the interior lighting and had no problems. I don't think you will have any problems with marker lights.
Thanks.

Is there any trick to pulling the sides of the front map light housing to get it to drop down? I've inspected it and it looks to be a pretty tight fit. The last thing I want to do is break those plastic clips that are holding it in place.

The other light that I'm unsure of how to replace is the glovebox light. Looks like you have to drop down the glove box to get at the light. Any tips on how this should be done? Thanks.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Thanks.

Is there any trick to pulling the sides of the front map light housing to get it to drop down? I've inspected it and it looks to be a pretty tight fit. The last thing I want to do is break those plastic clips that are holding it in place.

The other light that I'm unsure of how to replace is the glovebox light. Looks like you have to drop down the glove box to get at the light. Any tips on how this should be done? Thanks.
For the front maplight housing use a smallish flat blade screwdriver with a cloth cover to pry it down. Best spot to start with is the windscreen side of either front corner, about 2" in from the side.

The glovebox light is doable but fairly difficult, it's hard to get a decent grip on the bulb/globe, I ended up giving up on it. You don't need to dismantle anything to do it.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
For the front maplight housing use a smallish flat blade screwdriver with a cloth cover to pry it down. Best spot to start with is the windscreen side of either front corner, about 2" in from the side.

The glovebox light is doable but fairly difficult, it's hard to get a decent grip on the bulb/globe, I ended up giving up on it. You don't need to dismantle anything to do it.
Thanks. Do you mean the sunroof side (2 inches from the side). From the pics in this thread it looks like the clips are on the sunroof side. Also I might try to use two cloth covered screw drivers and pry both sides down at the same time.

For the glovebox, I'm assuming that you need to pry out the lens if you don't have to drop the glovebox to get behind it. Unless there's a small opening in the lens to insert a small screwdriver, it does lookspretty difficult to do (like you said).

Old 03-29-2015, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. Do you mean the sunroof side (2 inches from the side). From the pics in this thread it looks like the clips are on the sunroof side. Also I might try to use two cloth covered screw drivers and pry both sides down at the same time.

For the glovebox, I'm assuming that you need to pry out the lens if you don't have to drop the glovebox to get behind it. Unless there's a small opening in the lens to insert a small screwdriver, it does lookspretty difficult to do (like you said).
No, not the sunroof (rear) side, but the windscreen (front) side.
The rear vision mirror can be in the way just a bit, best to use a short screwdriver.

There is no lens or cover for the glovebox globe, it is bare.
If you reach in and up with your fingers you can just feel it.
But it's up a fair way with little room around the sides of it, which is why it is hard to grip.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
No, not the sunroof (rear) side, but the windscreen (front) side.
The rear vision mirror can be in the way just a bit, best to use a short screwdriver.

There is no lens or cover for the glovebox globe, it is bare.
If you reach in and up with your fingers you can just feel it.
But it's up a fair way with little room around the sides of it, which is why it is hard to grip.
Thanks for the reply. I think my glovebox is designed differently because the light is covered by a lens. I'll use your tip for the map lights. Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply. I think my glovebox is designed differently because the light is covered by a lens. I'll use your tip for the map lights. Thanks again.
My bad, you are right, I should have checked before!
There is a plastic lens cover, lever it off with a small flat blade screwdriver.

nasa25 (03-29-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks.

I posted photos of my solution to getting the front map lights. Post #23 in this thread. Made some pullers and worked great for me!

nasa25 (03-30-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeNL
Wow, that's quite some work you did Reaxions! Good to have your insights. I got my facelifted car back last WE and have been 'testing' the headlights against the original MY2012. The turn signals are fast flashing in the instrument cluster and sound is fast as well. This should be resolved with the load resistors that go in this Friday. These are my findings re the DRL in the new headlights:

Original MY2012:
* DRL dimmed on as soon as ignition on and main beam off
* DRL bright on when gearbox in D and main beam off
* DRL bright on when sidelight on
* DRL dimmed when main beam on
* DRL dimmed on one side when turn signal on

My facelifted MY2010:
* DRL dimmed on as soon as ignition on and main beam off
* DRL NOT bright on when gear box in D and main beam off
* DRL bright on when sidelight on
* DRL NOT dimmed when main beam on
* DRL NOT dimmed on one side when turn signal on

I would like to come as close to the original MY2012 as possible, but I reckon teh connection with the gearbox is a bridge to far. Or does anyone have an idea on how to use the D gear to make teh DRL bright?
The fact that teh DRL should be dimming when main beam on and when turn signal on, I think I will try to resolve with placing the Inlustro DRL dimmers (HOME - Inlustro) on. This would IMHO imply that I would need 3 dimmers: 1 connected to each turn signal and 1 connected to the main beam. Would that work?

This raises another point: can the DRL dimmers be used in conjunction with the load resistors for the turn signals? The load resistors should obviously be in parallel to the lights and the dimmer in series. Would this pose an issue?

The adaptive lighting (corner lights) are also not working yet...
Brief status update: almost there... The resistors for the turn signals work perfectly. The DRLs are now off when light switch is set to 'off' but are bright on when set to 'auto'. The only thing I need now is the new Inlustro DRL dimmer which dims DRL for turn signals as well as for main beam. It should be on the market soon I understand. Then I am as close to the original MY2012 as possible; the only thing missing is the DRL coupling to the gearbox (only bright when in 'D' or 'R'), which I don't mind really.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

My RDLs dim when the headlights are on. When the headlights are off, the DRL on the side that the turn signal is being used is completly off until the turn signal cancels.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:39 PM

Finally got around to doing the interior upgrade. Everything went well except for the fact that I couldn't get the centre top console out. Took it to my mechanic and within 30 seconds it was out.

Anyone know which type of LED bulb is required for the inside trunk light?

Now I just need to replace my glovebox light, trunk light and 2 visor lights and I'll be sorted out.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to do the led swap on my 09 XF SC, on map/dome lights today I CANNOT budge the map panel at all to get access???
Any help would be great and appreciated. Also want to do the puddle lamps but I'm told they are even harder???

Old 08-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gpennington
Funny you should mention the rear license plate LED's, as that is my exact experience. I've replaced them countless times but elsewhere in the car, not a single problem. Weird!

cyndav6875 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cyndav6875
I tried to do the led swap on my 09 XF SC, on map/dome lights today I CANNOT budge the map panel at all to get access???
Any help would be great and appreciated. Also want to do the puddle lamps but I'm told they are even harder???
The maplight panel is a tight fit, you have to lever fairly hard.
Best to use a plastic trim removal tool, by coincidence I put new globes in a couple of days ago and the panel was a snack to remove using the trim removal tool, much better than using a screwdriver.
The puddle lamps are in theory fairly easy to do, there is a plastic tab just under the mirror glass (between the glass and the housing) that you need to depress / push in with a small screwdriver which then unclips the puddle lamp housing. The lamp is in a lamp holder which then twists out of the housing and the globe is easily replaced.
Trouble is, across two XFs and four lamps I have never been able to get that damn tab/clip to release no matter what I tried, including completely removing the mirror glass.
In the end I levered the lamp housing off from the outside (underneath) by sticking a jeweller's screwdriver in the small gap, levering gently to make a bigger gap, then sticking a bigger screwdriver in and levering until eventually the housing popped out.
Sometimes the housing then clipped back in again, other times it hung a little loose and I fixed it with a liberal application of black RTV windscreen sealant, any excess is easy to clean up with a soft rag soaked in mineral turps as long as you do it before the goo sets/cures (about 15 minutes).

Old 08-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i wish the pics in the initial post worked

what do you guys think of these bulbs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-White-Ce...lU3Iuh&vxp=mtr
will they work in my interior?

Last edited by carzaddict; 08-22-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate LED Q&A Thread