XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Update Options For Stereo On 2010 XF

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update Options For Stereo On 2010 XF

I would like to update my car stereo on my 2010 XF 3.0

The sound quality is very good so the speakers are fine, however, the main stereo unit is now quite dated and I would like better integration with my phone so I can play music from my library YouTube music, etc and also use Android Auto for Navigation rather than the built-in system which does not provide real-time traffic as you get with Google. There is an auxiliary input jack but the sound quality when I connect my phone using that is very poor.

Is it as simple as buying a new stereo and getting it fitted or are there any other considerations?

I've been looking at a couple of products online that have the features I want I just need to know if they are compatible or not. And if not are there any other options?

Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB
Sony XAV-AX3005DB DAB

thanks in advance.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

You can't really just change the stereo system. It's heavily integrated with the rest of the car

But there are a few Apple play / android auto aftermarket systems. Read around on here for info and demos. Think they will offer what you're looking for.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:42 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought there were no Android/CarPlay options for 2010?

Old 12-29-2020, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
You can't really just change the stereo system. It's heavily integrated with the rest of the car

But there are a few Apple play / android auto aftermarket systems. Read around on here for info and demos. Think they will offer what you're looking for.
I have run some searches but can't find any information. If you know of any specific threads or can point me in the right direction that would be great.

I was on live chat with someone at Halfords yesterday and he was pretty confident those models would fit but he said it would be best to go to the store to check with the technicians first so going to do that anyway and see what they say. Just be good to know other peoples experiences before I potentially let them make changes to my car.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:35 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

One example is the threads by Dennis Black, which link to his videos. (There may be others.)

Here's one, and another, which is on the front page of the forum, currently: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...outube-240605/

Old 12-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bealzabubba
One example is the threads by Dennis Black, which link to his videos. (There may be others.)

Here's one, and another, which is on the front page of the forum, currently: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...outube-240605/
There's a related thread here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...uar-xf-217412/

The following users liked this post:
bealzabubba (12-29-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the info and links, I've had a read and am now depressed lol. Looks very complicated. Does anyone know anyone who can implement one of these solutions? I'm based in Essex, UK.

Perhaps I can attack from another perspective and just try and get my phone to talk to the system better? Obviously, its already connected via bluetooth but that only seems to allow me to make hands-free calls.

Has anyone had any success connecting their phone using the aux socket? Like I said earlier I tried this but the audio quality was crap (unstable connection, had to set volume to max and still wasn't loud) . Maybe I will buy a new lead and try again.

My radio reception is also quite bad, is there any way I can boost that? Or fix it? I can only get Radio 1,2,3, local radio and reception isn't great.

I know one firm locally so will speak to them. Looks like the Halfords is out of the question.

cheers

Old 12-30-2020, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Ah - yes. If you have a 2010 then the car Bluetooth only allows pairing for calls, not for streaming music. But in the center armrest you'll see an old style iPod connector. Buy a Bovee Tune2Air (check the right model or I can look and post it). About $80. Plugs into that iPod connector and is a Bluetooth module for streaming music from your phone. Pair it with the phone (keep the car paired for calls too) and you get streaming music via the stereo system. The volume, track forward and back controls on the steering wheel and on the screen all work to control Eg Spotify etc. and the track name and artist appears on the touch screen
Super cheap - super easy. I've been using mine for 7 years now and stream Spotify or other music all the time. Excellent sound quality - even at high volume...
(I have the upgraded B&W sound system)

Old 12-30-2020, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Think this is the one

Amazon Amazon

It doesn't come with the iPod connector cable - should be in your car already else you will need to buy that

Much cheaper alternative is a BT adaptor into the USB socket also in the armrest. Prob $10. But don't think that gives you the same functionality to control music and see track names etc.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:31 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Ah - yes. If you have a 2010 then the car Bluetooth only allows pairing for calls, not for streaming music. But in the center armrest you'll see an old style iPod connector. Buy a Bovee Tune2Air (check the right model or I can look and post it). About $80. Plugs into that iPod connector and is a Bluetooth module for streaming music from your phone. Pair it with the phone (keep the car paired for calls too) and you get streaming music via the stereo system. The volume, track forward and back controls on the steering wheel and on the screen all work to control Eg Spotify etc. and the track name and artist appears on the touch screen
Super cheap - super easy. I've been using mine for 7 years now and stream Spotify or other music all the time. Excellent sound quality - even at high volume...
(I have the upgraded B&W sound system)
I see a bunch for audis. Is it Jaguar specific or will the Audi one work?

Old 01-02-2021, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the tips. I only have an AUX connection and my phone is Android (Samsung).

Been looking around on Amazon looking at some options based on your recommendations.

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

There doesn't seem to be a similar Bovee product that offers that functionality via an AUX socket - I found this one for people who do have the other type of socket -
Amazon Amazon

Be nice to have the steering wheel controls but even being able to play music from my phone (and enhanced FM) would be a nice step up from what I have at present. Given the low cost, I might get one of those devices to try.

I'm leaning towards a product like the 2nd example above as it seems to address both issues of improving the radio and also allowing me to play music from my phone via Bluetooth on the car speakers - that is if I've understood correctly. Looking at some of the reviews I'm not confident it will work though.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Mine didn't say Jaguar. All it needs is the right type of iPod connector (old style) and it will plug right in. Mine is called "Viseo Tune2Air model WMA1000". Link below

ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000
Amazon Amazon

Oxidizer2k (01-05-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using bluetooth aux adaptor for a while now. They give decent sound. I am near Gatwick and if u r around i can show u or if u want to see a video, pm me.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:21 AM

I only have AUX not ipod connector so no good.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:24 AM

Any suggestions on the model to use or will any work?

Old 01-05-2021, 05:43 AM

Try changing your aux cable. I use just that and its actually good sound.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:05 AM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I have been on the same journey for some time. The OEM system is old and outdated really it's what bothers me most about the car.

Last edited by Carlos Saez; 01-05-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Carlos Saez
I have been on the same journey for some time. The OEM system is old and outdated really it's what bothers me most about the car.

Finally after 1 year looking for options I just found a newly developed system for preface lift xf, i just ordered mine I'll get it next week, I'll post pictures and review.

​​​​​​They have developed a
what did the developdevelre link and pics..

Old 01-05-2021, 08:13 AM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been on this same journey over 1 year the oem system is what I hate the most about the xf.

The suffering stopped i just found a newly developed unit for preface lift xf.

Just ordered it, I'll get it next week I'll post pictures and a review.

They added a unique new menu with all the ac functions and car setting with a up to date interface.

Very excited about this its android based 8 core 4, 64 gb.

Check this out...zoom in the picture there's the new menu.

Last edited by Carlos Saez; 01-05-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Rafaloop (03-19-2024)
Old 01-05-2021, 10:41 AM
Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts

Oh! Like you I have been looking, have you a link to this??

Quick Reply: Update Options For Stereo On 2010 XF