XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Upgrading XF Audio System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Upgrading XF Audio System?

I have a 2010 XFR. The B&W audio system is audiophile quality....outstanding. I bought a 2012 XF Portfolio with the standard audio system (bought if off the delaer lot when I learned that Jag had dropped the 5.0 liter Natural....that's another story). Anyway, the standard audio is just like an old fashion radio. I'm miserable with it. Due to the integrated nature of the audio system it appears that there is almost no upgrade option, either dealer or aftermarket). The only option apparent to me is to buy the B&W front door speakers from the dealer and have them installed. Potential problems would be fitment, wired connector compatibility, and impedance (ohms) matching. If there is compatibility it would improve mid and upper frequencies, but not the bass. I don't need it all, but I want the mid/upper clarity of the higher end system. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Steamer22
I have a 2010 XFR. The B&W audio system is audiophile quality....outstanding. I bought a 2012 XF Portfolio with the standard audio system (bought if off the delaer lot when I learned that Jag had dropped the 5.0 liter Natural....that's another story). Anyway, the standard audio is just like an old fashion radio. I'm miserable with it. Due to the integrated nature of the audio system it appears that there is almost no upgrade option, either dealer or aftermarket). The only option apparent to me is to buy the B&W front door speakers from the dealer and have them installed. Potential problems would be fitment, wired connector compatibility, and impedance (ohms) matching. If there is compatibility it would improve mid and upper frequencies, but not the bass. I don't need it all, but I want the mid/upper clarity of the higher end system. Does anyone have any suggestions?
The B&W as well as the Meridian systems are more than just the speakers. If the headunit and amp in the base radio are poor you may only make it more evident with the speaker change. Just my $0.02!

The following users liked this post:
Steamer22 (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Thanks. I agree. But, I don't play the system loud which is what brings out the worst in poor amps. I don't think the head unit could be this poor. Excluding the base response, the speakers are probably 70%+ of the problem. The B&W speakers are surely better, but only if they are compatible. Also, the B&W system has a center channel that bounces off the windshield....the standard system does not have this very important center channel. I suspect I am stuck with this system. If Jag still offered a 5.0 Natural I would probably get a new car ordered to my specs; but, the 3.0 S/C is a wimp compared to the 5.O Natural. And my observations is that my fuel economy is the same with both.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

It seems very hard to get the straight scoop on exactly what can and can't (without absurd effort) be done for the so called base 12 audio system. It supposedly has 400w, but they must be puny ones - or the speakers are incredibly insensitive. The 13 base system now has 250w. Beyond the lack of deepest bass due to no sub, the system really should at least have the option of some speed sensitive leveling. Anyway, if anyone actually does know if the head unit is capable through configuration to do more, I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rbobzilla
It seems very hard to get the straight scoop on exactly what can and can't (without absurd effort) be done for the so called base 12 audio system. It supposedly has 400w, but they must be puny ones - or the speakers are incredibly insensitive. The 13 base system now has 250w. Beyond the lack of deepest bass due to no sub, the system really should at least have the option of some speed sensitive leveling. Anyway, if anyone actually does know if the head unit is capable through configuration to do more, I'd really like to hear your thoughts.
Install a subwoofer and amp. Adjust the bass on the head unit to 40% and have the amp for the sub provide the bass. It works great for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by jjsaustin:
miketriumphs (08-17-2013), rbobzilla (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jjsaustin
Install a subwoofer and amp. Adjust the bass on the head unit to 40% and have the amp for the sub provide the bass. It works great for me.
I saw the photo you posted with the trunk sub install. If I could pick your brain for just a second, was it possible to install the factory sub in the spare tire well, but you decided to go for more punch, or was the lack of a plug in the well, per your other posts, a no go on the factory unit?

Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this amp and sub from my BMW and knew it performed well. So I took it out before I sold the car and installed it in the jag.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Steamer22
Thanks. I agree. But, I don't play the system loud which is what brings out the worst in poor amps. I don't think the head unit could be this poor. Excluding the base response, the speakers are probably 70%+ of the problem. The B&W speakers are surely better, but only if they are compatible. Also, the B&W system has a center channel that bounces off the windshield....the standard system does not have this very important center channel. I suspect I am stuck with this system. If Jag still offered a 5.0 Natural I would probably get a new car ordered to my specs; but, the 3.0 S/C is a wimp compared to the 5.O Natural. And my observations is that my fuel economy is the same with both.
I wonder if the head unit is different at all - maybe they just configure it differently - center channel y/n, sub y/n and then the amplification is where B&W, now meridian come in, along with the speakers of course. I think in the 12 model, the step up to The 600w system in the SC I think is basically just a subwoofer with 200w. I can't imagine they'd use a different head unit only for that purpose.

The B&W system seems potentially more bespoke so to speak lol.

Anyway, I do wonder about system matching just switching to the B&W spkrs - I saw a parts pricing list that showed the standard door tweeter for about $11, and the B&W for something like $70. Point is, those speakers may have been designed with specific crossover points. Makes me wonder if I should investigate how compatible the lower of the two Meridian units is with the 400w 12 system. The lesser system specs pretty similarly in some ways. The base 13 system is a step back from the 12

Last edited by rbobzilla; 08-13-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsaustin
I had this amp and sub from my BMW and knew it performed well. So I took it out before I sold the car and installed it in the jag.
I like what I'm reading. I'll tell you guys now. I have a '13 XF Sport Portfolio 19" with the stock base system - intentionally. ...and sound quality is important to me. What wasn't important to me was a 'premuim package' that was over $4K. After lots of going back & forth, I said no to the premium meridian system and the hdd nav system. I firmly believe that I can upgrade the sound to my liking (i.e. installing a sub, even a powered sub) and integrate a simpler nav system with a smart phone for far less than committing to a locked in premium system. I'm reading articles revealing that the head infotainment isn't a hard nut to crack.

Now I'm certainly not a DIY sound guy, my XF will be making a visit to the audio shop install bay. I'm understanding that the head unit has a vacant sub output and EVEN one for the back camera that's not included. Nothing a professional audio technician can't handle for clean work.

Here's some food for thought: Don't you find it funny that non-premium package XF's still have the back-up sensors installed at the factory even though they don't have back-up cameras?

Any input would be appreciated, I think that you can be happy in getting a base system and making it better while still coming out ahead. Your thoughts?

Last edited by miketriumphs; 08-17-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

The rear parking sensors and the rear camera are two completely separate and independent features. Base car comes with rear parking sensors, but it is an optional extra to add front sensors and a rear camera. It is well worth it though, as is the premium audio system tailor-made for the car. I do agree with you regarding navigation.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Meridian 380 watt 12 speakers

Just bought a 2013 with the 380-Watt Meridian 11-speaker premium audio system. Not quite what I was expecting in quality. Not looking to blow the doors off with sound. Rather looking to enrich the sound.

Had a Pontiac G8 GT with 11-speaker Blaupunkt premium audio system with 2 subwoofers. That was very nice audio.

Anyone know the what can be done, short of taking a second mortgage, to upgrade the Meridian to sound like the Blaupunkt?

Took it to the local car audio store. They recommended replacing the 4 main door speakers and add a JL Audio amp for $1400.

Thanks

Last edited by grapeman; 08-19-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swimref
The rear parking sensors and the rear camera are two completely separate and independent features. Base car comes with rear parking sensors, but it is an optional extra to add front sensors and a rear camera. It is well worth it though, as is the premium audio system tailor-made for the car. I do agree with you regarding navigation.
Nope, absolutely correct. I guess I was implying that the infotainment/head unit is capable of being modified without being so invasive and destroying the stock feel of such an electronic system. I've heard the same from reviews about the Meridian system being a little sub par. With some folks returning to the car audio shops for a sound performance upgrade, I chose to skip the premium package. It really just comes down to preference and what's important.

I, for instance, just HAD to get the sport portfolio package - for no other reason than that I just love the way it looks. And yes, besides the audio and hdd nav, the rest of the premium package items are really nice and well put together. You can't really slap on a set of adaptive headlights and what not. I am still curious of who's gone out to a sound shop and talked about modifying their XF's sound system and what effects that has on the all-inclusive infotainment system and gotten quantitative facts. Sounds like one guy above has already.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:33 AM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm also interested. I have the stock radio in my 2010 and it's horrible.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 AM

Found this info from Meridian systems. Hopefully it will help those that follow.

Meridian

Last edited by grapeman; 08-18-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Admin can you delete?

Last edited by grapeman; 08-18-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Admin can you delete?

Last edited by grapeman; 08-18-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 AM

Admin can you delete?

Last edited by grapeman; 08-18-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=grapeman;793528]Just bought a 2013 with the 380-Watt

Took it to the local car audio store. They recommended replacing the 4 main door speakers and add a JL Audio amp for $1400.

Be careful. The Jag systems are three-way speakers in the front door. All aftermarket systems are two way. I believe they use a tweeter in the top and a mid/sub in the low positions in the door (the middle speaker position is abandon). This is a poor solution. Mid frequency speakers need to be closer to ear level. I decided against aftermarket speaker systems for this reason.

I am contemplating an expensive experiment.....just buying the B&W speakers and having them installed in my XF. I know I won't get kick-*** bass, the I'm hoping for improved mids and high frequencies. It may not work, but I am desperate! My XFR system is like heaven and my XF system is like hell.

The following users liked this post:
grapeman (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=Steamer22;793904]
Originally Posted by grapeman
Just bought a 2013 with the 380-Watt

I am contemplating an expensive experiment.....just buying the B&W speakers and having them installed in my XF. I know I won't get kick-*** bass, the I'm hoping for improved mids and high frequencies. It may not work, but I am desperate! My XFR system is like heaven and my XF system is like hell.
Contemplating similar, though I wonder whether it would be better to go with the B&W units or with the Meridians. I know there are some statements that the Meridian system is not over the top fabulous, they have to be better speakers than the stock 2012 comes with, and the B&Ws were designed for the 15 speaker array plus subs - I just wonder if they will be voiced properly in a 10 speaker array. The 380w Meridian unit has 10 speakers plus sub, and I'm thinking it might be a more plug and play way to get a substantial improvement. The Meridian literature makes it seem like they're decent units, and Meridian certainly has a high end pedigree in loudspeakers, though mostly active systems.

Anyone know the price diff between Meridian and
B&W replacement units? In a previous post I noted that I saw a price of something like $11 for the stock tweeter and $66 or so for the B&W

Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 PM

Ok so I am a noob when it comes to car audio. Let me know how your B&W speaker experiment goes.

Question - what about just adding an low-watt amp?

Quick Reply: Upgrading XF Audio System?