XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Visual mods to my XF

Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christine
I have a lot more respect for home owners associations now.
In general (but not related to the mods TC has done), I agree 100%.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tc1728
I appreciate the compliments, It is very easy with the anonymity of the internet to be braver and more abrasive than you normally are. I always try to imagine that I am always speaking face to face with someone when I am on the computer.
The right attitude to have. Spoken like a truly GOOD person

The following 2 users liked this post by arlingtonman:
Panthro (04-29-2016), tc1728 (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing classy about de-badging a brand name luxury car. That's actually something a child would do. You don't buy a Movado watch and change out the face. Jaguar is a luxurious brand name, taking off the emblems is a downgrade. If you wanted to go with a "black" look, then you should've at least blacked out the "XF" emblem and the leaper on the trunk to match the black strip, but don't remove it! It's a Jaguar and you would want to keep the vehicles emblem. Maybe that can work on a Ford or Chevy, but not a luxury vehicle, it doesn't work and never will. You always want to maintain the vehicles luxury feel.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default To tc1728

Disregard the negative comments. Some people on here, *cough* The Legend *cough*, believe that their opinion is the only opinion ANYONE should have. Make the car YOUR own and I'm sure YOU will be happy! We've been through this before on the forum with him and I'm sure it won't be the last time! I, like you, am happy he is THIS enthusiastic about the XF though. Lol!

Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sigh. You're a good man TC. Now mount those Vossen's already!

Legend, you're something else. It's beyond me why you continue to make your otherwise valid opinions into these long-winded repetitive rants that are borderline disrespectful. With each post, you look sillier. I'm starting to think you're special. smh.

Last edited by duke_dallas; 06-25-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLegend
Nothing classy about de-badging a brand name luxury car. That's actually something a child would do.
First of all, I wasn't saying his decision to debadge the car was classy, but rather the way he handled how rude you were with him was very classy. Everyone doesn't like the same thing, believe it or not, and that is what makes the world an interesting place. If everyone drove the same "The Legend" XF, the world would be a very boring place. Kudos to the OP for doing what he thought was the best for his own car, which is what you did to yours and what all of us have done to ours. But there's no need to go bashing because your tastes are different.

And I should note that the only people who worry about the 'name' or 'brand' of something and how many people sees it are the people too shallow to feel confident either in themselves or how they are seen as a person. Google "Hyundai Bentley" and you'll find a Benley Continental that the owner debadged and added Hyundai badging to in order to make it look like a 'normal' car that is probably now a lot less likely to vandalism and theft. He has the satisfaction of knowing he drives a Bentley, and I'm sure experiences the luxury and power of it each time he drives it. And I'm sure he's satisfied with the person he is and doesn't give a **** what the world thinks of him.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by duke_dallas
Sigh. You're a good man TC. Now mount those Vossen's already!

Legend, you're something else. It's beyond me why you continue to make your otherwise valid opinions into these long-winded repetitive rants that are borderline disrespectful. With each post, you look sillier. I'm starting to think you're special. smh.

Hey dude, when someone post a pic of a nice looking car, I have no issues saying so. When someone post something ridiculous, I'm going to let them know. I call a spade a spade. I don't sugar coat anything. It's a online internet forum, so if you don't won't the neg comments, then don't post ur vehicle online. It's that simple. When you post it online, you open yourself up for positive and negative feedback. It comes with the territory when you post online. If you really don't care what other's think, like me, then don't post your vehicle online looking for feedback. I'm just speaking the truth, not disrespectful. I don't have to like somebody's car if they put 22's on a vehicle with a sleek look. If it's stupid then I will say so. This guy de-badged a luxury vehicle. IMO, that's silly. Just keeping it real.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
First of all, I wasn't saying his decision to debadge the car was classy, but rather the way he handled how rude you were with him was very classy. Everyone doesn't like the same thing, believe it or not, and that is what makes the world an interesting place. If everyone drove the same "The Legend" XF, the world would be a very boring place. Kudos to the OP for doing what he thought was the best for his own car, which is what you did to yours and what all of us have done to ours. But there's no need to go bashing because your tastes are different.

And I should note that the only people who worry about the 'name' or 'brand' of something and how many people sees it are the people too shallow to feel confident either in themselves or how they are seen as a person. Google "Hyundai Bentley" and you'll find a Benley Continental that the owner debadged and added Hyundai badging to in order to make it look like a 'normal' car that is probably now a lot less likely to vandalism and theft. He has the satisfaction of knowing he drives a Bentley, and I'm sure experiences the luxury and power of it each time he drives it. And I'm sure he's satisfied with the person he is and doesn't give a **** what the world thinks of him.

I simply posted my opinion. You guys do silly childish-like mods to your car, post it online, then when someone says how terrible it looks you have a problem with that? And there is nothing boring about the XF. It's a classy vehicle as is. And keeping it true to its name is class in itself and shows maturity IMO. No need to go doing all them silly kidish mods. When I see that, I see just another guy messing up a nice car. Mods are cool, don't get me wrong. But just like there's a time and place for everything; There's a car to mod and not to mod. XF is a car not to mod. Mod a Ford. Mod a Civic. Mod a Nissan. Modding certain vehicles looks childish. You don't Mod a Bently. You don't mod the higher end Benz. At some point you just have to grow-up. A lot of these mods are nothing new, it's been done over and over and over and over again. Same mods, just different vehicle. And u think that's unique? lol

Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

All this talk of childishness, maturity and class. I can see plenty of some and not much of the other.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing classy about de-badging a brand name luxury car. That's actually something a child would do. You don't buy a Movado watch and change out the face. .

That's like de-badging an Accord....c'mon, a Movoda?

Old 06-26-2012, 02:32 PM

I simply posted my opinion. You guys do silly childish-like mods to your car, post it online, then when someone says how terrible it looks you have a problem with that?
You just not getting it are you? There is not a problem with you posting your opinion, as we've said on another thread. You expressed your opinion, earlier in the thread and tc responded rather nicely if you ask me and you kept coming with more responses like you are mad because he still is going to do what he wants with HIS car! We get it, you don't like what he's doing with his car and that's ok with him and I believe everyone else on here but you trying to convince him otherwise. Let your opinion be heard and let it go! The same as Ms. Christine did.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I simply posted my opinion. You guys do silly childish-like mods to your car, post it online, then when someone says how terrible it looks you have a problem with that? And there is nothing boring about the XF. It's a classy vehicle as is. And keeping it true to its name is class in itself and shows maturity IMO. No need to go doing all them silly kidish mods. When I see that, I see just another guy messing up a nice car. Mods are cool, don't get me wrong. But just like there's a time and place for everything; There's a car to mod and not to mod. XF is a car not to mod. Mod a Ford. Mod a Civic. Mod a Nissan. Modding certain vehicles looks childish. You don't Mod a Bently. You don't mod the higher end Benz. At some point you just have to grow-up. A lot of these mods are nothing new, it's been done over and over and over and over again. Same mods, just different vehicle. And u think that's unique? lol

I am with you legend. I don't know why everyone is coming at you !?!?

Some people may be afraid to express themselves, but you are not and not wrong with that.

Now i got going.......What do i think about OPs XF? It looks like sh#t. But as long as he likes it. It's his car and he can do whatever he wants to it.

Is it different? SURE! Does different mean the car looks better? Absolutely not!
Jaguar is a classy car -have to respect the car for what it is. What's the point of buying a car, if you going to change everything on it. If i saw that Jaguar from few hundred feet away i would think it's some Hyundai want to be turtle neck Mercedes.
Nothing wrong personalizing a car, but it has too be done tastefully.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LMAO at some of these posts. I never could have imagined blacking out the chrome on a car could generate so many emotional responses. Would suggest that the faint of heart not venture on to any of the Porsche sites as cars a good deal more expensive and rare are being debadged and blacked out every day. Now the classic original cars don't get the same treatment but the new cars are being moded straight off the delivery truck. Owners prerogative to mod their cars any way they see fit, debadging and all.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dadio
LMAO at some of these posts. I never could have imagined blacking out the chrome on a car could generate so many emotional responses.
I am also surprised by amount of views and responses received in this thread. I would like thank those of you who have been supportive and appreciative of the mods that I have done so far. I would also like to thank those who took time to let me know what they did not like about my car. I believe all feedback is useful, good or bad.

I completely understand those members who do not agree with the way I modded my car. Obviously, not many Jaguar owners have modded their cars quite like I have, that is actually one of the reasons I got the XF. The XF has piqued my interest since 2008. I have always wanted one and the mods that I have done to my XF have been on my mind way before I even got the car. About 6 weeks ago I was having my QP serviced at an indy shop that is a block away from a Jaguar dealership in SF. I was a little bit early to pick up my car and decided to check out some cars. I left with really no intention to get a Jaguar at that time, but when I picked up my QP, the service adviser informed me that my clutch had about 3000 miles left on it before I had to have it replaced again. So instead of spending another $6k to $8k for a new clutch, right after I just spent $850.00 for an oil change and inspection, I decided it was time for a new car. 3 days later I got the XF and 2 days after that, the modding process began.

For those interested, the wheels are mounted on the car already. I got the Vossen CV3's 22x9 non staggered in the machined/black finish. I will put up some pics probably on Monday when I get back from Vegas. As always, all feedback is welcome. Have a great night everyone. TC

Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Executive
I am with you legend. I don't know why everyone is coming at you !?!?

Some people may be afraid to express themselves, but you are not and not wrong with that.

Now i got going.......What do i think about OPs XF? It looks like sh#t. But as long as he likes it. It's his car and he can do whatever he wants to it.

Is it different? SURE! Does different mean the car looks better? Absolutely not!
Jaguar is a classy car -have to respect the car for what it is. What's the point of buying a car, if you going to change everything on it. If i saw that Jaguar from few hundred feet away i would think it's some Hyundai want to be turtle neck Mercedes.
Nothing wrong personalizing a car, but it has too be done tastefully.
Exactly, exactly. I mean, they think it's "classy" to be politically correct in a forum. I guess they don't like my forum manners because I didn't participate nicely. lol.......Man, look, the mods on this Jaguar looks like garbage. I'm sorry but it's just ALL WRONG! What a waste of money. SMH. I agree, what's the point of buying a jaguar and you go and de-badge the car, he blacked out the luxurious chrome strip on the trunk, etc.. It's almost not a Jag anymore. IMO, that chrome rear strip with the J A G U A R inscribed is one of the more beautiful aspects of the car. This is one reason why I didn't favor the 2012 models. This is a very unique element to the car. Other cars don't have anything similar to that. And this guy doesn't even realize how unique that is. It's a lack of appreciation. To black that out is just hideous.

But he gets props because he has good forum manners? What a joke

Last edited by TheLegend; 06-26-2012 at 11:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Christine (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the email with the thread update today. I was just going to leave the site because it wasn’t what I was looking for. The people on my Mercedes site wouldn't even think of "modding" their cars. Guess it's just a class thing. Apparently Jaguar's aren't what I thought they were and clearly, they depreciate far too quickly.

So anyway, TC let me be positive here for a moment. I don't think the appearance of the black roof is bad. It reminds me of the Panorama roof on the Mercedes. But it's not a Panorama roof is it? You're trying to make the car something it's not. That was what my previous comment to just saving your money and buying a Supercharged XFR. It comes with the black grill and you pay for that. It means something. The black grill only comes with the supercharged engine. Yours is not a supercharged XFR is it? The picture you put up of your car before the mods is perfect. Everything matches and flows from front to back. Now there's chaos. The mirrors look like Mickey Mouse ears. Even the people who like the mods don't like the black strip on the back.

The reason some of us are so upset and passionate about this is because you're like the guy who moves into the neighborhood and paints his house florescent green. You look at it and think it's just great, while the rest of the people are embarrassed and angry that the neighborhood is depreciating now. Some people will support you because they don't want to hurt your feelings, but they have no intention of painting their house florescent green.

You've taken a sleek, strong, majestic gorgeous cat and shaved it, painted it with black spots, put big clown shoes on it and think that's just what it needed.

These are the kind of mods the import guys do to their cars. Those cars do look better with the mods. You should get an import and make it the best modified car you can. You are skilled at what you do. Use your talent where it's appropriate.

I probably sound like your mom again and that's not a problem because she sounds like a wise woman to me.

The following users liked this post:
KL3.0 (07-20-2020)
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Come on folks, what happened to "to each his own" and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? I go to car shows all the time and we have a Cars and Coffee event here in Charlotte every month, there is always a great cross section of vehicles, some modded, some not. I appreciate them all, IMHO, if you don't like what the OP has done to his car, why say anything? It is his car and he is simply sharing his pride and joy, why dump all over him for that?

I always mod whatever car I have, it makes the car mine and unique, the degree to which you mod is your own call. Anyone with some money can buy a car, I don't want my car to look like everyone elses, that is boring. My philosophy for modding a car is to make it look like it could have come from the factory like that, that it could have been a factory package. Any mass produced stock design always has room for improvement.

Last edited by 09XFSuper; 06-27-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I got the email with the thread update today. I was just going to leave the site because it wasn’t what I was looking for. The people on my Mercedes site wouldn't even think of "modding" their cars. Guess it's just a class thing. Apparently Jaguar's aren't what I thought they were and clearly, they depreciate far too quickly.

So anyway, TC let me be positive here for a moment. I don't think the appearance of the black roof is bad. It reminds me of the Panorama roof on the Mercedes. But it's not a Panorama roof is it? You're trying to make the car something it's not. That was what my previous comment to just saving your money and buying a Supercharged XFR. It comes with the black grill and you pay for that. It means something. The black grill only comes with the supercharged engine. Yours is not a supercharged XFR is it? The picture you put up of your car before the mods is perfect. Everything matches and flows from front to back. Now there's chaos. The mirrors look like Mickey Mouse ears. Even the people who like the mods don't like the black strip on the back.

The reason some of us are so upset and passionate about this is because you're like the guy who moves into the neighborhood and paints his house florescent green. You look at it and think it's just great, while the rest of the people are embarrassed and angry that the neighborhood is depreciating now. Some people will support you because they don't want to hurt your feelings, but they have no intention of painting their house florescent green.

You've taken a sleek, strong, majestic gorgeous cat and shaved it, painted it with black spots, put big clown shoes on it and think that's just what it needed.

These are the kind of mods the import guys do to their cars. Those cars do look better with the mods. You should get an import and make it the best modified car you can. You are skilled at what you do. Use your talent where it's appropriate.

I probably sound like your mom again and that's not a problem because she sounds like a wise woman to me.
Very well said.
BTW, I loved the last statement.

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper
Come on folks, what happened to "to each his own" and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? I go to car shows all the time and we have a Cars and Coffee event here in Charlotte every month, there is always a great cross section of vehicles, some modded, some not. I appreciate them all, IMHO, if you don't like what the OP has done to his car, why say anything? It is his car and he is simply sharing his pride and joy, why dump all over him for that?

I always mod whatever car I have, it makes the car mine and unique, the degree to which you mod is your own call. Anyone with some money can buy a car, I don't want my car to look like everyone elses, that is boring. My philosophy for modding a car is to make it look like it could have come from the factory like that, that it could have been a factory package. Any mass produced stock design always has room for improvement.
I don't mean this in any negative way, but you car doesn't look like his. And, i am pretty sure it never would, because you wouldn't do that to your car. So, in a certain way, you are agreeing with me, Legend and Christine.
As i said earlier, nothing wrong personalizing a car. A car, just like clothes, is a extension of one's personality/character. Therefore, tells a lot about an individual.

When i bought my LS, it looked nothing like it does now. But, it's been done tastefully and MOST importantly, it still looks like a Lincoln LS........well, some confuse it with 5 series, but that's a story for another time.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 PM

What's killing me(Got that from Legend, lol), is that people say its alright to personalize your car but if they don't like the way you personalize it now it's distasteful. There are different tastes. Just cause your taste is different from his doesn't make his WRONG and yours RIGHT. Some of the things tc has done to his car, I personally wouldn't do either but I don't think it is wrong. I may would have done some of those things when I was younger when I did heavily mod my car. The thing is, a lot of "ideas" these manufacturers get come from the mod community and that's with cars, computers, video games, cell phones, etc. The manufacturers just do and charge you "extra" cause its from them. People were blacking out their grills and putting black rims on their XF's way before Jaguar decided to come out with the "Black Pack" but it's ok to have it done by Jaguar and not do it yourself? I just installed the boot lid spoiler on my car last night. Ordered it online for $250 and if Jaguar had done it the spoiler was $340, unpainted and uninstalled. And for the record there are plenty of modded Mercedes and we aren't even gonna bring up BMW or Audi yet they are all in the same "class". And to top it all off, it's HIS car! You don't wake up in the morning and go to work in it, he does. Don't be surprised if the next XF integrates a black roof! Lol! That looks rather nice to me, as I've now seen it done twice! Keep doing what you doing tc! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mecedes depreciate like all the rest of them my friend. The more you pay the more they depreciate regardless of the brand. Nothing special about Mecedes Benz automobiles other than what's in the minds of there owners. As for people moving into your neighborhood, maybe you should move to a different neighborhood if you can't stand the neighbors. In the interest of full disclosure, I neither live in a florescent green house nor feel the need to share the feelings of others when entering into an honest exchange of opinions on a topic presented by a member of this or any other forum. A man's class isn't determined by the type of car he drives.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Visual mods to my XF