XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water pumps and crossover failures on the 5.0 engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by bwhitehorn
Bumping this up with a question. I have a 2010 XF 5.0 and I need to change out the water pump. Trying to do it myself. Can this be done easily without a lift? Also what side of the engine is it on? The reservoir is on the right side of the engine bay as I look at it, but it seems my coolant leak is from the left as I look at the car. Any thoughts, pictures, or video tutorials for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Take a look at the link I posted above. You do need to jack up the car to do the work, but you don't need a lift.

The following users liked this post:
bwhitehorn (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Take a look at the link I posted above. You do need to jack up the car to do the work, but you don't need a lift.
Thanks, it looks like you did a lot of work. Any way you can point to the smaller job of doing just the water pump and crossover pipe? Being a bit of a newbie, it was hard for me to decipher some of those photos. Is the pump/crossover easier to see from under the car or from the top after removing a bunch of components. Also, what side are they on? Left or right facing the engine bay from the front of the car.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:55 AM
Default overflow flow hose

My car was leaking coolant...I noticed it dripping from the overflow hose (see pic 1) where I point to the connection but miss the big crack that caused me to pull over finally. I replaced the hose but it is still slowly leaking from the hook up spot(pic 2). Do I need to use a new O ring? any kind of sealant? can this be coming out due to too much pressure caused by my water pump not working correct/leaking?

2012 XF 5.0 portfolio

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails Water pumps and crossover failures on the 5.0 engines-20180615_153605.jpg   Water pumps and crossover failures on the 5.0 engines-20180619_093721.jpg  
Old 06-21-2018, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

I would just replace that hard plastic line. It's prone to breaking anyway, and should be replaced with all the other plastic in the cooling system pipes. You will have many more leaks coming if you just replace one piece at a time, but some people like to do it the hard way.

QUOTE=coispup;1915645]My car was leaking coolant...I noticed it dripping from the overflow hose (see pic 1) where I point to the connection but miss the big crack that caused me to pull over finally. I replaced the hose but it is still slowly leaking from the hook up spot(pic 2). Do I need to use a new O ring? any kind of sealant? can this be coming out due to too much pressure caused by my water pump not working correct/leaking?

2012 XF 5.0 portfolio

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Old 06-30-2018, 11:26 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply lotus. Sorry for another question but you are obv the guru here. What hard plastic are you referring to? I swapped out the whole 3 way overflow hose which is hard plastic but do you mean the piece that the overflow hose snaps into? Is the female part worn and mishaped now perhaps letting coolant leak out? It just doesn't snap in clean.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by coispup
Thanks for the reply lotus. Sorry for another question but you are obv the guru here. What hard plastic are you referring to? I swapped out the w
hole 3 way overflow hose which is hard plastic but do you mean the piece that the overflow hose snaps into? Is the female part worn and mishaped now perhaps letting coolant leak out? It just doesn't snap in clean.
I am talking about the think hard plastic pipes that come from the coolant header tank. That plastic becomes brittle with the heat in the engine bay and can very easily crack, especially when you are working on the car and moving those pieces.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:50 PM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

i just found out my 2012 5.0 N.A. XF needs the water pump replaced. shop wants $650, maybe more if other plastics too (i'm guessing after reading this thread that's the crossover pipes). my question is what miles did you guys have on the ODO when your water pump failed? i'm under 24k, which seems pretty low for a water pump failure...

Old 07-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

The water pump on my '10 XKR was changed in January at around 16,600 miles because the shaft was found to be quite wobbly during the pre-purchase inspection.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Default recall

if everyone on here files a compliant then the BBB and Highway safety will make Jaguar issue a recall and we will get our money back. Use this site and share it!!!

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Old 09-17-2018, 11:05 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Subscribed!!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
The water pump on my '10 XKR was changed in January at around 16,600 miles because the shaft was found to be quite wobbly during the pre-purchase inspection.
I am not saying it's impossible that they really checked the water pump pulley during a PPI, but I think you got railroaded!

A PPI is usually around $150-$300. For them to pull off all the air intake equipment and then remove the serpentine belt to check the pulley is highly unlikely. That type of effort just wouldn't be part of a PPI to check a $300 part.

These car shops are quite crafty, and it looks like they scored a free water pump change. And I wouldn't be surprised if they charged you for it, but didn't actually do anything because it was ok. Pure profit!

Last edited by lotusespritse; 09-18-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Default 2012 XF portfolio

Originally Posted by Escolar
The waterpump on my 2011 XF 5.0 NA failed around maybe 55,000miles, maybe 60.

Couple of weeks ago, I had a coolant leak on my morning commute. Had to get towed in. Turns out the crossover pipe failed. It's part No. AJ89664. The dealer handling the crossover pipe said that whenever they do a water pump, they always suggest the customer pay to replace this pipe since they are in there and have seen a substantial number of failures. The water pump was replaced by a different dealer, and I don't recall them suggesting the crossover. It's a plastic pipe that is molded in two parts and then welded or glued together. It's a pretty poor design. I wish I had changed mine with the water pump. I don't recall if it was suggested at the time.

Having seen it, I'm wondering if we shouldn't change this proactively maybe every 50,000 miles. Kind of pricey, though. A fair bit of labor to get it done. Total bill was around $700, most of which was covered by my extended warranty. But I'd say definitely swap this puppy if it is ever exposed for other services.

Attached are pictures of the failed pipe, and of the new one installed which can be seen as the shiny pipe with an upside down Y branch to the right of the air inlet. The skinny Tee hoses above it were also replaced at that service. If you look the crossover up on a parts catalog, it doesn't look much like the big long pipe that it is, because they drew it at an angle which really minimizes the profile.

So I was wondering I know this post is a little old now but I am having this issue right now, the only thing stopping me is the manifold once it comes off to put it back on what is the sequence/torque spects? Or does it even have any? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

Old 06-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cesar Garcia
So I was wondering I know this post is a little old now but I am having this issue right now, the only thing stopping me is the manifold once it comes off to put it back on what is the sequence/torque spects? Or does it even have any? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you
There's always going to be a torque spec and sequence on a part like that. It's 18 Nm.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:34 PM

I replaced my water pump 23 months ago. In the last 4 days, when I push on the gas hard (just to get across 3 lanes of traffic, nothing crazy), all of the coolant dumps out. Last Thursday, they replaced a few hoses $900, picked it up Friday morning and it happened again Saturday morning (exact same conditions). Today they say it's the water pump and will replace for $600. Any thoughts?

2011 Jag XF

Thanks,

Casey

Old 08-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CaseyEllsworth
I replaced my water pump 23 months ago. In the last 4 days, when I push on the gas hard (just to get across 3 lanes of traffic, nothing crazy), all of the coolant dumps out. Last Thursday, they replaced a few hoses $900, picked it up Friday morning and it happened again Saturday morning (exact same conditions). Today they say it's the water pump and will replace for $600. Any thoughts?

2011 Jag XF

Thanks,

Casey
You’re just riding that train of fixing coolant parts as they predictably fail instead of proactively replacing all the plastic coolant components and water pump at one time. Much more expensive piecemeal than all at once, especially when one of those coolant failures finally causes a head gasket or valve train failure and then your whole car is sold for scrap because the engine replacement costs more than another car. But some people like to torture themselves and live in denial.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 08-12-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:15 PM

I'm thinking it about time for this car to go
I love it, but the repairs are crazy.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CaseyEllsworth
I'm thinking it about time for this car to go
I love it, but the repairs are crazy.
It's an old car right now, and it's a premium car with premium repair bills. Price out a new luxury car with the same level of power, features and luxury, and you'll quickly see that a new equivalent will easily cost you $10K per year in depreciation.

Are you spending more than that on repairs? These XF's have pretty predictable and known failure areas like most cars. If you just replace those parts before they fail, you won't be on the side of the road, and you'll spend a lot less than $10K per year.

The following users liked this post:
Greg Link (05-31-2020)
Old 10-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Just to keep this thread alive---
Mine finally failed on me at 41k miles. Got the warning that coolant was low and while on the way to the dealer the car began to overheat.

About a year ago while getting a routine maintenance my service tech upsold me to purchase a BG extended warranty. I believe it was $100 but covered anything that touched the fluids they were replacing (oil, coolant, etc).

Long story short, the BG warranty covered $1,000 for parts and labor of the new water pump today. I paid another $850 out of pocket for parts and labor of "tubes" and "hoses". So total cost for the entire cooling system replacement would have come out to $1,850. Just wanted to get the perspective for future owners that are debating tackling this themselves.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MikeBrink28
Just to keep this thread alive---
Mine finally failed on me at 41k miles. Got the warning that coolant was low and while on the way to the dealer the car began to overheat.

About a year ago while getting a routine maintenance my service tech upsold me to purchase a BG extended warranty. I believe it was $100 but covered anything that touched the fluids they were replacing (oil, coolant, etc).

Long story short, the BG warranty covered $1,000 for parts and labor of the new water pump today. I paid another $850 out of pocket for parts and labor of "tubes" and "hoses". So total cost for the entire cooling system replacement would have come out to $1,850. Just wanted to get the perspective for future owners that are debating tackling this themselves.
$1850 would be cheap for all the coolant pipes, and water pump, if that included labor. I am wondering if they really changed them all. There's a bunch.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

More importantly, where can the rest of us get an extended warranty for only $100?

Quick Reply: Water pumps and crossover failures on the 5.0 engines