XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water pumps and crossover failures on the 5.0 engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Bumping this as it is important for all to know to replace the water pump and plastic hose parts, especially the crossover pipe. I also filed the complaint on the NTSB website.
Happened to me about 3 weeks ago and going to cost me at least 2,300 from my Indy mechanic. Unfortunately replacing with OEM parts. Wish I could have located a site for the crossover pipe which was aluminium instead, but hoping this part will last another 8 years.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

This and timing chains it appears. Saab engines were going out due to oil starvation and Gov't had Saab take all engines to 8 years unlimited miles warranty. Got an engine that way.

should have the same from Jaguar.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:22 PM

Posting a thread to try to get complaints filed Jaguar Complaint information

Old 10-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Posting a thread to try to get complaints filed Jaguar Complaint information
I know it's a common issue. But to be fair, Harryf said the current water pump and crossover pipe lasted 8 years so I don't think that's unreasonable in today's engines. All manufacturers use many plastic components in their cooling systems now - and they will eventually fail. Some here have done a precautionary replacement of them all - I might do that at some point. If someone created a kit of all the parts for full replacement and a great, detailed diy video guide, they could make a killing!

Old 10-18-2019, 11:33 PM

Yes. it lasted 8 years, I was one of the lucky ones. Some cars I've had never had coolant leaking issues, which of course could lead to catastrophic failures in our cars which we cherish for years. Yes, auto manufacturers decided to do this for planned obsolescence, which I hate. I'd have to say, however this is the best Jaguar I've owned.. Problems are starting to appear but it's been very reliable so far. Just a few maintenance issues like the front control arm bushings.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

When my crossover pipe failed, it sprayed coolant all over. A month later my electric fans stopped working. Probably from all the hot coolant.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by harryf
Yes. it lasted 8 years, I was one of the lucky ones. Some cars I've had never had coolant leaking issues, which of course could lead to catastrophic failures in our cars which we cherish for years. Yes, auto manufacturers decided to do this for planned obsolescence, which I hate. I'd have to say, however this is the best Jaguar I've owned.. Problems are starting to appear but it's been very reliable so far. Just a few maintenance issues like the front control arm bushings.
How many folks did it blow before then, if they complain, it won't matter when it happened

Old 11-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same issue. Looks like plastics in the engine bay have MAYBE a 10 year lifespan. Just had the same stuff replaced in my 2011 last week. Car only has 76k on the ODO.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the '11 XJL 5.0 Non supercharged do you think i have the same crossover pipe and water pump situation should i choose to replace it? i have a small coolant leak and hear the XJs are notorius leakers for this

Old 11-20-2019, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 322 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag
I have the '11 XJL 5.0 Non supercharged do you think i have the same crossover pipe and water pump situation should i choose to replace it? i have a small coolant leak and hear the XJs are notorius leakers for this
Yep

Old 11-20-2019, 08:39 AM

What did you find out the problem was?

Old 11-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Mine was a leaky water pump. My Indy mechanic replaced all of the plastic tubing. After receiving the car back, I am hearing weird noises when I step on the accelerator. Kind of like valve noises. I brought it back to my mechanic and his lead mechanic said it sounded like the oil was bad. It handn't even been 3K miles since the last synthetic oil change, but I did it anyway. Turns out the oil was really dirty/brown. Not sure why that was, however, it was a slight bit quieter after the change, however a day later the noise reappeared louder again. I haven't pinpointed the noise yet and it has me worried that it could either be a cracked cylinder head, something loose on the exhaust manifold, or valve issue. I'm really hoping it's not a cracked cylinder, timing chain issue. It doesn't seem that I am losing any coolant anymore. I will have to have my mechanic take some oil and test it to see if there is any coolant in it.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:10 AM

What was your year make model and engine again?

Old 11-21-2019, 09:11 AM

How many miles on it

Old 11-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by harryf
Mine was a leaky water pump. My Indy mechanic replaced all of the plastic tubing. After receiving the car back, I am hearing weird noises when I step on the accelerator. Kind of like valve noises. I brought it back to my mechanic and his lead mechanic said it sounded like the oil was bad. It handn't even been 3K miles since the last synthetic oil change, but I did it anyway. Turns out the oil was really dirty/brown. Not sure why that was, however, it was a slight bit quieter after the change, however a day later the noise reappeared louder again. I haven't pinpointed the noise yet and it has me worried that it could either be a cracked cylinder head, something loose on the exhaust manifold, or valve issue. I'm really hoping it's not a cracked cylinder, timing chain issue. It doesn't seem that I am losing any coolant anymore. I will have to have my mechanic take some oil and test it to see if there is any coolant in it.
They must have broken something or reassembled something wrong when they did the work. That stinks. I did all the plastic replacement and waterpump, tensioners, pulleys and belts myself on 2 XF's and they fired right up and have both been great for over a year. So doing this work shouldn't cause an issue unless they f-up something.

One thing they could easy f-up is dropping something into an intake port since you have to remove the intake manifold to do the work. I made sure to stuff paper towels in the intake runners so I didn't do that.

Hopefully they didn't just ruin your engine.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Lotusespritse you make a good point that changing all the hoses and tubing even water pump should have no effect on the engine making noise unless they did something wrong and possibly dropped something in the intake.

I'm assuming you have the 5.0?
I'm likely going to have to replace the rear outlet pipe behind the engine on my 5.0 XJL, would I just remove the middle intake manifold and be able to replace that pipe myself? Dealership wants stupid money to do that, ain't gonna happen..

Old 11-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag
Lotusespritse you make a good point that changing all the hoses and tubing even water pump should have no effect on the engine making noise unless they did something wrong and possibly dropped something in the intake.

I'm assuming you have the 5.0?
I'm likely going to have to replace the rear outlet pipe behind the engine on my 5.0 XJL, would I just remove the middle intake manifold and be able to replace that pipe myself? Dealership wants stupid money to do that, ain't gonna happen..
Middle intake manifold?

Not sure what that is, but if you are going to replace the rear or front crossover pipes, the intake manifold is going to have to come off. To get that off, a lot of other things have to be taken off. Once you get the manifold off, the 4 torx bolts holding the rear crossover onto the heads are a bear to get off and back on. It takes a lot of patience and time, but the problem is that you have to do it lying on your stomach on top of a very uncomfortable engine, so it's hard to have patience and spend time there.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 11-21-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:54 AM

Yes the big intake manifold meaning at the very top of the engine between the valve covers, maybe saying middle is confusing sorry. Basically once you take that manifold off your almost home free i'm thinking because that has nothing to do with the front of the motor, pulley's and water pump etc..., then you just have to lay there like you said and work on that pipe. Is there just 1 pipe or more parts? a few people said it was more than one part.
I'm wondering if you have the same 5.0 as my XJL, same exact configuration...

Old 11-22-2019, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Middle intake manifold?

Not sure what that is, but if you are going to replace the rear or front crossover pipes, the intake manifold is going to have to come off. To get that off, a lot of other things have to be taken off. Once you get the manifold off, the 4 torx bolts holding the rear crossover onto the heads are a bear to get off and back on. It takes a lot of patience and time, but the problem is that you have to do it lying on your stomach on top of a very uncomfortable engine, so it's hard to have patience and spend time there.

lotusespritse I have the big plastic top cover off but does your 5.0 look exactly like this? Mine is non SC thank god. I'm hoping if i take that manifold off, 10 bolts, and a few other little things I can change that rear outlet pipe. Do you also know if there is just 1 piece back there that needs to be replaced or multiple pieces also..Thank u.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by wesmc
Just finished the job. Not that bad. I would do the crossover every time I did a pump on one of these. The manifold did have to come off but that was a far easier job than I expected.
So your saying just to do the water pump you don't have to remove manifold on the 5.0 but to do the attaching crossover pipe with it manifold must come off correct?

Quick Reply: Water pumps and crossover failures on the 5.0 engines