XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Windshield/windscreen Washers

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool Windshield/windscreen Washers

Has anyone had issues with the washers? Mine puts out VERY little fluid and just on the upsweep. Other cars I've had flow the fluid continuously as long as you press the button. The headlight washers work very well.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

These are programmed to be independent of driver input, I have discovered. They are programmed to squirt twice, both on the upstroke. Then there is the handy "after wipe" Ford was fond of and Jaguar adopted. As far as I can tell holding the washer stalk in the ON position has no effect on this cycle. The solution is to operate the washers twice or more in succession.

Living where I do I can assure you that this is the most efficient use of available fluid. Most people waste a lot of fluid to no advantage because they think more is better. It isn't. The windshield needs very little fluid to be cleaned so the Jaguar system works well.

In fact, I use much less fluid on my other cars as Jaguar is unnecessarily generous with the pre-programmed amount.

Now by "my conditions" I am referring to full on winter with sanded roads and sudden thaws that cause a windshield to become opaque in seconds. Where you are you will never experience that kind of dirt loading on the windshield. On a long highway trip of more than a couple of hours I will need to refill the reservoir, that kind of loading.

Try allowing the washers to just do their job and see how it goes. The headlight washers only operate every fifth time? (maybe 9th time?) again to conserve fluid.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I can second Jagular's comments. Even though, in my part of the US, we do not get a lot of the sort of weather (in fact I am not sure we ever do!!) to which Jagular refers, we do get a lot of dust which requires frequent cleaning of the windscreen. The XF system seems to work well without wasting a lot of water.

I can confirm that the washer fluid is released on the upstroke only and then there is the drip removing stroke after a short pause. The headlight washers do operate but, because they do not get used a lot, I am not sure whether it is time or number of wipes dependent.

From CashmereLeaper's comments I am sure whether the washers on her/his car are not effective or whether it is just an observation.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Issue Resolved

Found the problem....turns out a plastic junction connecting the hose from the reservoir pump to the wiper hose under the cowl was loose and became disconnected. Now it works just fine.
This has been my only issue with my 2011 January build delivered in May.