XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF 2009 differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XF 2009 differential

Hi all! I am new posting on this forum but I've been using the answers A LOT lately. Thank you guys!

Recently I purchased an XF 2009 and did quite some work on it already (control arms(lower upper) front, and rear lower, ABS fault, diferential seal and oil)
Everythig seemed fine for the last 24 hrs car was handling better then ever and no leaks anymore).
I was making sure of checking if the diff was leaking (morning lunch evenings) since I read on here about the diff problems on a 09. Everything was good.
All of sudden today comming back from a short drive, the car started making weird noices (Like skreaching) from the rear end at low speeds. Decided to stop and check for leaks, to my surprise (well not really) saw a couple drops leaking. I then decided to take the car to my mechanic (5 mins away).
While I was driving there, out of the blue- no more noise, park it at the shop, check for leaks, no leaks.
Car was driving well during this entire time.

No leaks? Ok might be out if oil.
But no more ''skreaching'' noise?

Anybody can help me out please?

If the diff was busted: is there a possibility that the noise would stop?
Even with the noise and a couple drop leaks is there a possibility of the diff still being good if I still have oil in the servoir (since the noise stopped)? If so, what else could I check then?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Is that all that was done on the previous repair for the diff seal, just seal and oil?

When does it make this noise, going straight or while turning?

Is your XF an R model?

Its possible that before you bought it, it may have leaked out most of the oil, causing damage to the components inside. Or its possible that something may be loose from performing the repairs in that area?

If the diff was "busted", I'm pretty positive you'd know. There would be noises of some sort as the bearings would get hot and start to make noise. If any of the teeth broke off, you'd hear it.

I would check everything is tight where all the repairs were made in the rear suspension. Did your mechanic find anything wrong?

Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Is that all that was done on the previous repair for the diff seal, just seal and oil?

When does it make this noise, going straight or while turning?

Is your XF an R model?

Its possible that before you bought it, it may have leaked out most of the oil, causing damage to the components inside. Or its possible that something may be loose from performing the repairs in that area?

If the diff was "busted", I'm pretty positive you'd know. There would be noises of some sort as the bearings would get hot and start to make noise. If any of the teeth broke off, you'd hear it.

I would check everything is tight where all the repairs were made in the rear suspension. Did your mechanic find anything wrong?

Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it

I have an XF not an XFR.

My mechanic finished changing the rear right control arm, then replaced the diff. seal and then worked the seal. When we flushed the old liquids there was alot in there so I doubt it was empty.

It did the noise for about 2 minutes in all- going straight and turning at low speed and then the noise just vanished.
Like you mentionned I think if the diff was busted the noise woudn't just disappear right?

After reading your message, I told my mechanic to check if everything is tight, to check if I still have diff. oil and then to check if anything was damaged while doing the repairs.

I really hope it's nothing major and that my mechanic is honnest and won't try to pull a few bucks off me.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:30 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

What did the fluid look like when it was drained? It seems odd that all the sudden you have a noise after replacing a control arm, a diff seal and oil. Hard to say what it could be if your mechanic hasn't found anything obvious on the outside.