XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Headiner

Old 06-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF Headiner

My headliner is starting to sag and needs to be replaced. One vendor website notes the windshield needs to be removed to get the headliner board out. On the Jaguar Forum, I've noticed owners of other models are able to fold the board to get it out the back door. Do any XF owners have experience with this? Also, does anyone know a good place to get the correct material?
Thank you,
Chris

Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

I did it on a long wheel base 90's XJ8 about 10 years ago, and it was a pig getting it through the back door that is very elongated. It must be 10 times harder with the XF to do it without creasing the headliner by folding it too much.

Might make it easier if you remove the front and rear seats to give every inch of available space, but I wouldn't be surprised if the windshield needs to come out.

You should be able to google for the right material. There are companies that specialize in selling that material with the glue. The visors are a different story, and probably better to try to buy new ones from Jag.

The following users liked this post:
cjatx (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:47 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

I recovered the sagging headliner in my last car, XJ6 Sovereign. Awkward but do- able. I'd look at dropping the rear seats and removing the board
( with the minimum of creasing) via the boot/trunk. On the XJ you had to bend it almost in half, but no damage or evidence of this when refitted.

cjatx (06-22-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,749 Posts

We were told the same thing on the S Type forum. Windshield and/or back glass needs to be removed. Nobody does that for headliner replacement!
Yes it "should" be possible. Now I say that because the XF is an S Type with a new skin so some differences.
Two ways to do it?
Headliner Removal

You will need to bend it (gently) and you might put a kink it it to. After you straighten it back out you won't see it. But several guys have done it out the door way with no kinks at all.
Take a look at some S Type head liners.
More Headliner Stuff

The material costs are pretty cheap and it's definitely something a home guy can do and make it look good.
I am picky about which glue I use. I like 3M 38808 but there are others that probably work fine.
They all die from the heat.

Last edited by clubairth1; 06-23-2018 at 12:06 PM.
cjatx (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll give it a try. It can't hurt. If I hit a wall somewhere, I can always put it back together.
I'll post back on how everything goes.