XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Portfolio Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF Portfolio Seats

Can anyone comment on the comfort and/or sportiness of the 2012 two-tone "portfolio" seats? I'm trying to buy my first Jag from a distance and want to be sure I'll be happy with the seats on long drives. I put tons of miles on my cars and need to be certain I'll like the comfort. For comparison, I've always driven BMWs with sport seats and absolutely love them. Perfect world, the seats are comfortable for long drives but also hold me in place when hotrodding around corners.

Last edited by Tmcaleer; 07-04-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmcaleer
Can anyone comment on the comfort and/or sportiness of the 2012 two-tone "portfolio" seats? I'm trying to by my first Jag from a distance and want to be sure I'll be happy with the seats. I put tons of miles on my cars and need to certain I'll like the comfort. For comparison, I've always drive BMWs with sport seats and absolutely love them. Perfect world, the seats are comfortable for long drives but also hold me in place when hotrodding around corners.
Honestly, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. This is a seat of the pants issue : )

But, for what it's worth, I think the 2012+ Portfolio seats are pretty nice. They are so highly adjustable, you're sure to zero in in a completely unapproved by chiropractors position. I think the seat bottom cushion is a bit hard, but just personal preference. Far better in terms of support while cornering than the 2009-2011 seats.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having seat issues with my XF premium. Not portfolio I think but the seat is very uncomfortable. I bought a used XF.
I am almost thinking of selling it.
So drive it well and be prepared.
Good luck

Originally Posted by rbobzilla
Honestly, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. This is a seat of the pants issue : )

But, for what it's worth, I think the 2012+ Portfolio seats are pretty nice. They are so highly adjustable, you're sure to zero in in a completely unapproved by chiropractors position. I think the seat bottom cushion is a bit hard, but just personal preference. Far better in terms of support while cornering than the 2009-2011 seats.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by jagfan10
I am having seat issues with my XF premium. Not portfolio I think but the seat is very uncomfortable. I bought a used XF.
I am almost thinking of selling it.
So drive it well and be prepared.
Good luck
What year did you buy?

Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
What year did you buy?
2011...inservice was 2010 though.
just bought a few weeks ago. Love the car-awesome. but seat is causing agony.
Can the whole seat be changed to new one? I think the previous owner was heavy- seat is completely ruined

Old 07-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

2011...inservice was 2010 though.
just bought a few weeks ago. Love the car-awesome. but seat is causing agony.
Can the whole seat be changed to new one? I think the previous owner was heavy- seat is completely ruined
Replacement seat should be available. It's a spare part. Getting an exact colour match might be tricky if the leather seat covers cannot be reused.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:28 PM

I have the 2012 NA Portfolio and I hate the seats. It's the only thing on the car that I don't like. The seat bottoms are too firm and the side-bolsters are too high and too vertical. It is almost impossible to make them comfortable and I'm an average-lean build. I can't imagine how uncomfortable they must be for a larger person.

The seats in my 2003 Pathfinder are more comfortable and for this reason alone, I'm considering trading-in for an Audi.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I test drove '12 Audi a6. Seats not very supportive. In '12 sport seats were not avaiable in US market. Not sure if this has changed or if the same in other models.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 AM

I looked up online and a new seat cushion pad is available as a spare part.
Anyone has had any experience in DIY of the seat pad? Is it easy or should i just take it to the dealer or some other auto guy?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I looked up online and a new seat cushion pad is available as a spare part.
Anyone has had any experience in DIY of the seat pad? Is it easy or should i just take it to the dealer or some other auto guy?
Is this a Jaguar seat pad or aftermarket.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:59 PM

From an online website... So I guess that will be aftermarket. Right?

QUOTE=jaguny;769444]Is this a Jaguar seat pad or aftermarket.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Default Lumbar

I was all ready to purchase a new XF AWD until I drove the car with the standard seat and found it did not have a lumbar adjustment. It will cost me over $4,000 to get lumbar. That is outrageous and enough to push me back to a BMW 5. It is just crazy how they bundle options, let alone how lumbar support is not standard on a 60,000 car.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by des16
I was all ready to purchase a new XF AWD until I drove the car with the standard seat and found it did not have a lumbar adjustment. It will cost me over $4,000 to get lumbar. That is outrageous and enough to push me back to a BMW 5. It is just crazy how they bundle options, let alone how lumbar support is not standard on a 60,000 car.
With all due respect, BMW is FAR worse than Jaguar when it comes to options and option pricing, and the standard equipment list on a 5 Series makes an XF look like a bargain

Old 07-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

You get a lot more than just better seats for your $4k and the package is actually good value IMHO.

Jaguar decontented the base model to keep the advertised base price low. The base price is actually lower than for my base '09 and you now get the more powerful supercharged V6, 8 spd gearbox and awd. So, think of this option cost for better seats as really part of the real base price and the base car as a discounted stripper. If you price the new one with the Portfolio interior and similar features it prices out lower than the Premium Luxury trim version in 2009. It's a great buy.

Last edited by jagular; 07-14-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C-notes
I have the 2012 NA Portfolio and I hate the seats. It's the only thing on the car that I don't like. The seat bottoms are too firm and the side-bolsters are too high and too vertical. It is almost impossible to make them comfortable and I'm an average-lean build. I can't imagine how uncomfortable they must be for a larger person.

The seats in my 2003 Pathfinder are more comfortable and for this reason alone, I'm considering trading-in for an Audi.
I agree. I have the 2012 XF Portfolio and the seats are the only thing I do not like on the car. My Honda Accord has more comfortable seats. The seat bottoms are way to hard. It's like they have no cushioning at all.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

love the seats in mine. as mentioned, there are more adjustments than I know what to do with. I'm 6'4", so I generally need a lot of adjustment to get comfy, and I am definitely comfy in my driver seat.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When I got my 09 ("luxury premium?"), I thought the seats, and the ride, were harder/stiffer than the 04XJ I traded. After a few trips, though, I realized that I felt much fresher and less tired after 4 hours on the road, than I had in the XJ. Maybe I just found better seat positions.

When I traded the 09 for the 12, I again thought the seats/ride were a little stiffer, but also more comfortable on the road.

However, a few days ago I was checking the lumbar adjustment and hit the wrong lever, and discovered the cushion is adjustable fore and aft (!). So for over a year, 11K miles, I've had the cushion in the rearmost position (least thigh/knee support), and still thought it felt great. Checking seat adjustments on the net, I also discovered that the lumbar adjustment is 4 way (up/down, in/out). Talk about clueless...

I'm looking forward to my next trip, with my newfound luxury. Maybe one day I ought to read the manual.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Hey Dick,

Read your owner's manual. I read mine cover to cover when I get a new/new to me car.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

On the other hand, there's the excitement of discovery... Next time I drive the car I'll have a brand new experience :-)

Old 07-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

I'm with Dick on this one. I try to read the manual but usually fall dead asleep at the idiot light section so never get to the useful stuff. On the other hand I'm great at the "what's this do?" Stuff so stumble on most things eventually. These boards are also useful because somebody will always post the right info from the owners handbook sooner or later....saves a lot reading time!

Quick Reply: XF Portfolio Seats