XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF SC - Weak Battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XF SC - Weak Battery ?

seems that i cant turn off the engine and listen to the radio for more than about 30 minutes before i get a low-battery warning and the radio shuts off and if the car sets for several days, i see a low-batter warning when i first start the engine.. and when i say 'listen to the radio', it's usually talk-radio at a low volume (not rocking out full blast)

is this normal i do i need to visit my service manager?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: XF SC - Weak Battery ?

may need a new battery.. or the battery voltage module on the negative terminal needs to be reset..

Old 06-04-2008, 04:49 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

There is more electronics in your car than you can possibly imagine.
When you are listening to radio, alot of other modules stay powered up. Maybe leave car idling if you gonna sit like that listening to radio. Or get a Walkman.......LOL

Old 11-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our XF SC, with ~1200 miles, is sitting deader than a door-nail in our garage. Last driven on Wednesday with no clue that anything was wrong. Went to drive it this morning and nothing. No power to anything. Dead as dead can be. Having it towed to the dealer tomorrow. New to this forum and trolling to look for anyone with a similar experience. So far, this is as close as I can see to anyone having battery or charging system issues. Anyone else? I'll report out on what they tell me is wrong with ours. This is the first Jaguar for us, and until this, was most impressed with the car. I have never, ever, had this happen with any new car (and we trade frequently, actaully). I can't believe it. Is this what we can expect??? Help, anyone, with some thoughts that I can use when I speak to the service folks tomorrow.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Actually you should forget about ever running the radio without the engine running as factojag stated. The battery module communicates to the ecu monitoring battey voltage and begins to power down accessories to leave you with at least enough power to start the car by totally dirupting power if need be to preserve battery power. The 07 and up XK cant even work on to run diag without putting a battery charger on to maintain voltage while reflashing ecus. And srmtn dont know about your situation, but I have to remind other that you DO NOT hook up a battery charge to the batteries pos and neg termianal, this bypass the module on the neg terminal and the ecu has no idea the correct amount of power then that has gone into or out of the battery. When jumping or charging you hook the neg jumper/charger cable to the spare tire hold down. And maybe you XF module was not reset properly when new. but havent seen any problems with this system yet, and is very needed since low battery voltage causes all kinds of erroneous computer problem with todays hi tech cars.......

Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BRUTAL

Actually you should forget about ever running the radio without the engine running as factojag stated. The battery module communicates to the ecu monitoring battey voltage and begins to power down accessories to leave you with at least enough power to start the car by totally dirupting power if need be to preserve battery power. The 07 and up XK cant even work on to run diag without putting a battery charger on to maintain voltage while reflashing ecus. And srmtn dont know about your situation, but I have to remind other that you DO NOT hook up a battery charge to the batteries pos and neg termianal, this bypass the module on the neg terminal and the ecu has no idea the correct amount of power then that has gone into or out of the battery. When jumping or charging you hook the neg jumper/charger cable to the spare tire hold down. And maybe you XF module was not reset properly when new. but havent seen any problems with this system yet, and is very needed since low battery voltage causes all kinds of erroneous computer problem with todays hi tech cars.......

Amperage setting reccomendation for charging?

Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Charging current is dependant on how depleted the battery is and the the voltage level it is being charged at....If you you are using a external charger, just put it to the low AMP setting (if you can switch between hi and low) and leave it trickle charge for a couple of hours..The Hi AMP settings only kicks the voltage up to around 14 volts, hence I higher charge current...If the Car is charging the battery, I'll guess that there is a monitoring current limit circuit, that will allow the alternator to only charge up to a certain rate.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:58 AM
ud

A better expalination of Battery Charging and Current draw to Charge..

Let's just say the battery is at 12 vDC..and your Battery Charger is at 12 vDC..in this case, there will be no current flow to the battery or there will be no charging going on..

As soon as you raise the Charger's voltage higher than the battery,current will flow to the battery..The battery is now being charged to the voltage level coming out of the charger...the greater the difference between the battery and the battery charger, the greater the current flow will be until the battery is equal again to the charger's output voltage...So a high dollar Charger have output current regulation to maintain a set charging current to the battery... in the case of a severly depleted battery, it will hog as much current as the charger can put out to get the cell voltage back to the same level as the charger. If thereis no current limit circuit, as is the case with most Sears type chargers,the battery will suck as much current as it can untilthe chargertrips due to excessive current or heat.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't go looking for websites that feature ******** setting their crotches on fire, maybe you could learn something there.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

If you switch off the ignition and switch on the radio using the radio "hard" switch then only the radio is on. It is not necessary to have the ignition switched on to the "convenience" setting for you to listen to the radio. Just turn off the engine and then do not use the "start/stop" button, just use the radio button. The toauch screen illuminates but only the Audio functions work, as well as some of the settings. the climate control and so on remain off.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Drive it until it stalls. Then call Jaguar assist and they have to give you a loaner as well as pick you up. Then they will have to tow the car in, fix it properly or you keep the loaner until they do.

Poor dealerships are a big problem for Jaguar. Harass them until they get it fixed. It's either the battery or the module. If the car runs fine with the error message displayed then you will have a clearer case to get that dealership to fix the problem properly. if it stalles due to a flat battery then they will have no excuses either.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 PM
ud

Sorry about the butt-heads of a dealer you have..But plain and simple..you need a NEW battery...they just don't want to suck it up under warranty..A good dealer wouldn't hesitate to try a battery replacement to make it easy on everyone..

The question that still remains..Did they at least fix your demister, as you call it? (soundssomething similar to neutering[&:][sm=insomnia.gif])

Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio

I don't go looking for websites that feature ******** setting their crotches on fire, maybe you could learn something there.
I must have previously missed your smarta$$ comment about my sig pic. I'll post what I wish to post as my sig pic. If you have a problem with that...the problem is yours! If a mod or site owner has an issue with it..I'm sure they'll let me know. Until then..lighten-up, pull the stick out of your rectum, and try to have a sense of humor!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

"Demister" equals "defroster" for North America, or possibly a "defogger" for Southern frost free states.

My reference to incompetent dealerships was to North American dealerships, not British ones. North American customers generally do not expect much from their autodealerships and it appears the dealerships compete to disappoint even those modest expectations.

It does sound like you have a defective battery, or more likely a defective monitor unit. I still think you need to just drive it until the battery fails, or not, as the case may be.

In the remote wilderness of Western Canada we would simply put a new battery in if there as any doubt as winter temperatures can dip below minus 40 out here, and if it is windy it feels way colder than that if you are outside your stranded car. A flat battery can be a really big deal in winter.

In the wilds of Devon it isn't so bad, although last Spring I was advised by an RAC dispatcher that it might take over an hour for one of their units to reach me in remote Penzance, which is in neighbouring Cornwall! In Canada, you'd freeze to death in that length of time in winter!!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Default RE: reply to Venumb XF SC - Weak Battery ?

ORIGINAL: Venumb

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio

I must have previously missed your smarta$$ comment about my sig pic. I'll post what I wish to post as my sig pic. If you have a problem with that...the problem is yours! If a mod or site owner has an issue with it..I'm sure they'll let me know. Until then..lighten-up, pull the stick out of your rectum, and try to have a sense of humor!
I agree with JagtechOhio. By posting that signature you revealed that you already have a problem, we do not. That signature was at best infantile and at worst simply offensive. In some ways it is inappropriate to respond to people like you as it may create the illusion in your puny mind that we are paying attention to you. In fact, we are trying to suggest to you that youstop wasting space on this site. Nobody cares what you think because your signature and response to reasonable criticism reveal you for the idiot you must be, and I am trying to be polite here. There are other adjectives to describe your behaviour which may or may not apply. Idiot is kind.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:55 AM
ud

JAG ..Ease up a little..wow!..I know what you mean about ridiculous AVATARS, but he did change it before this and was probably just trying to have fun with it originally, I'm sure..But name calling is a little over the top and makes you look like you are stooping to the same mentality...I don't mean anything personal, but try and laugh it off and consider his obvious age and maturity..Agreed, Venumb should not have fired back at JagtechOhio.

Happy New Year

Old 12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

No problem. Technically, "idiot" is not name calling but merely descriptive. Venumb's use of"smarta$$" would be name calling but not enough by itself to warrant my reply. It was the reference to the "stick" that put Venumb totally off side and provoked my "restrained and polite" response. I couldn't help noticing also that Venumb does not claim to own an XF. With only a 6 year old S Type perhaps he would be happier on the S Type board.

Happy New Year to you also. I can hardly believe that my XF is so much better built than my first Jag, a 2002 X Type 3.0 Sport 5 spd. I loved the way the X Type drove, particularly the awd system which was absolutely brilliant in snow and much better than Audi's vaunted quattro,and Jaguar did a great job of infusing a Jaguar feel to the X Type though it wasbased upon the mass market Mondeo (there's nothing wrong with the Mondeo, or the Lincoln/ S type platform that underpins the XF either). I could not live with the constant requirements for service and repair on the X Type. Glad I traded up to the XF rather than abandoning the brand altogether.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:26 PM
ud

I'm glad to hear about the XF quality, they needed a shot in the arm like the XF..Next year if I'm lucky after I retire, Ihope tospoil myself on a SC version..I can't wait.[8D]

Quick Reply: XF SC - Weak Battery ?