XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Which XFR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 AM
ory
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which XFR?

I have been searching for an XFR for a couple of weeks after a fateful test drive of a 12 demo. My options so far are:

1. 2012 demo, black/black, MSRP 83K with 1800 miles, asking 65K (cannot be certified)
2. 2011, Grey/black/red, MSRP 83.5K with 10K miles, asking 57K (certified until 2018)
3. 2011 White/black/brown, MSRP 81.9K with 15K miles, black package, asking 57K (certified until 2018).

I believe that I can bring the price down a bit on each car, not sure by how much though (please give me feedback on this please)

Which car would you choose?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say 2012 BC I like the look of the new headlights better, if money isn't an option.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Seems like a significant price to pay for the '12 with likely less than 4 years warranty. The '12 will depreciate quickly after your purchase, likely more than the '11. If the decision is not financial, then the '12, particularly if you don't intend to keep the car past it's warranty. The real price difference should include the cost of warranty of both cars to a comparable time period. I personally would eliminate car 3. as I do not like the color combo. I am assuming you like all cars equally well.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I was in a similar situation few months back. The reason I choose a 2012 over a 2011

- New Front End
- HD Nav System

Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

New car has numerous improvements. The 2012 and later (facelift) cars are much superior to the older cars. It isn't just a pretty face, the improvements under the skin are substantial and valuable from the suspension up to the roof. Buy the 2012 unless you really prefer the older styling.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM
ory

Originally Posted by jagular
New car has numerous improvements. The 2012 and later (facelift) cars are much superior to the older cars. It isn't just a pretty face, the improvements under the skin are substantial and valuable from the suspension up to the roof. Buy the 2012 unless you really prefer the older styling.
Interesting you say that. I test drove a 2010 and noticed that the suspension is different than the 12. I have not driven the 11 as these two cars are out of town. Can you describe the suspension difference? Can't find any info about it

Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think the total $ depreciation will be significantly different between any of the cars over a 3 year period - so if capital is not an issue I would go for the 2012 and look for $63k. There is probably more room for discount on the 2011's though - down to about $53k. The certification isn't worth much, in my view.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM
ory

Originally Posted by darlo
I don't think the total $ depreciation will be significantly different between any of the cars over a 3 year period - so if capital is not an issue I would go for the 2012 and look for $63k. There is probably more room for discount on the 2011's though - down to about $53k. The certification isn't worth much, in my view.
Why do you think that the certification isn't worth much? Curious to know….

Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ory
Interesting you say that. I test drove a 2010 and noticed that the suspension is different than the 12. I have not driven the 11 as these two cars are out of town. Can you describe the suspension difference? Can't find any info about it
Suspension tuning was improved. From my drive of the 2013 it felt like a thorough upgrade: bushings, spring rates and damper rates all seem better. The ride is much tighter without being firmer.

The interior trim was also given a going over to make it more secure and giving a higher quality feel. There are supposed to be many other detail improvements to the car for 2012 on. It drives like a different car.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ory
Why do you think that the certification isn't worth much? Curious to know….
I guess I meant - it wouldn't be worth much to me. Depends on mileage you will do and how long you expect to keep it, but the 2011 cars have 5yrs/60k miles as I recall, so with CPO, depending on when the warranty started, you are getting 2 yrs and a bunch of miles extra that you may not use anyway.

2011 cars also had the Platinum warranty, which covers all items aside from tyres for 5 yrs. On an XFR, that can be worthwhile since it covers brakes. I had a set of worn rotors replaced for free, which I assume cost a pretty penny...

I am not familiar with how good the Jag CPO warranty is, so from that point of view, I couldn't comment.

I sold my 2011 XFR with 17k miles in January privately so I am basing my pricing off that - which is why I think $53k is realistic best case for those cars.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Suspension tuning was improved. From my drive of the 2013 it felt like a thorough upgrade: bushings, spring rates and damper rates all seem better. The ride is much tighter without being firmer.

The interior trim was also given a going over to make it more secure and giving a higher quality feel. There are supposed to be many other detail improvements to the car for 2012 on. It drives like a different car.
Jagular, the 2013 you drove was a V6 AWD correct? I would like to compare my '11 SC, to a '12 and '13 SC to see if the difference isn't with the change in engine and drivetrain. I like the way my car drives with sport mode best. My one area of improvement would be better steering feel. It feels a bit light.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Correct.

The V8 engine was unchanged but the new 8 spd has to be experienced to be believed.

As for the steering, that's not going to change. Jaguar does their own software for the servotronic, as ZF intends the manufacturer to do. Don't be fooled by ersatz steering "feel" such as Audi uses. Audi totally ruins their servotronic software to disguise their awful chassis. My S4 is just awful with its heavy but dead steering feel designed to fool the ignorant into thinking heavy equals steering feel, it doesn't.

To illustrate just how good Jaguar's software is drive over pebbles or road irregularities with just one front wheel hitting the irregularity and see if you can detect the slight bump as you go over it. Light steering should never be confused with insensitive steering. XF servotronic is brilliant and the power assist need not mask road feel. In the Jaguar all road feel is preserved.

Great power steering is like a great stereo system: the amplifier loses none of the original signal. Jaguar achieves this. Power steering takes the actual steering inputs and multiplies the force using the power steering pump. Truly great power steering has great feel and is very light, just like Jaguar. Electric power assist is much trickier to program accurate feedback.

You do need to steer with only two fingers to truly sense just how good Jaguar's software is.

Last edited by jagular; 03-27-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM
ory

I agree with you on that. I felt that it drove quite differently but didn't know why and I do - thank you for the info! Do the 2012 and 2013 drive pretty much the same then?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, although I only rode in the 2012, in the UK. My cousin owns a 3.0S diesel Portfolio. He's also in PR and was discussing details of the improvements made to the facelift cars with someone inside Jaguar. I should have written down what he said.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I have not heard one specific chassis, suspension, or power train improvement between the 2010/2011 XFR and the 2012's. I am not buying into a generic statement "suspension tuning was improved"...give me your source and specifics, otherwise it's just supposition...

Old 03-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I have not heard one specific chassis, suspension, or power train improvement between the 2010/2011 XFR and the 2012's. I am not buying into a generic statement "suspension tuning was improved"...give me your source and specifics, otherwise it's just supposition...
So you say. Why would you think I care about what you think?

Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Iam selling my XFR'10 (black with caramel interior)...amazing car and still looks brand new.I am looking to get into an XKR.
PM me if you want pictures..I am going to post it on the for sale section.

Thanks
Samy

Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 AM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I think Jagular has serious delusions of grandeur..... I think he misses the point of my post completely. In fact, I do not care at all what he thinks or says, and I want to make sure that others don't buy into his misinformation that is based on conclusory statements with no basis in fact. It also should be noted that his nasty response in his post underscores the fact that he knows nothing of what he's talking about, and has to personally attack someone to simply hide his ignorance on the subject.

The bottom line is arrogance coupled with feigned indignation does not make one more respected on this forum, or anywhere in life....

Last edited by XFactoR; 03-31-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

They're not delusions.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 AM
ory

I think that all these extremely low miles 2012 XFRs 'demos' currently available at various Jaguar dealerships for steep discounts were used for the 'Jaguar Alive Driving Experience', which means that they traveled the country and driven very hard in closed circuits. Not certain if this is a bad thing but it certainly means that they were not broken in under a certain RPM. Thoughts? I am looking at a black or a red example currently, both with under 2k miles for under 60K.

Quick Reply: Which XFR?