XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR Engine noise, does yours sound like this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me know how it goes , if it's the vvt units, it should still be there, 😁 , if not then I might decide to do my chain, . ... I have done the isolator allready on the supercharger , and water pump is also fine .

hope to hear how it goes on your end

Old 09-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My engine sounded like both of the engines posted earlier. I got my Range back today. When I put my phone very close, you can hear a slight tick/tap, but that may be anything. I can't hear it when the hood is closed. To me, the work the dealer did made the engine much quieter.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My XF SC 5.0 sounds similar, on warm restarts. I plan on replacing the chain/guides/tensioner as they are known for wear on these engines anyway, and I can't come up with another explanation for the noise. I've put 7k miles on the car since I bought it and this noise was there from day one, so it hasn't been an issue, but it would be catastrophic if it failed under power.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil pressure

Well it happens mostly on hot engines, not cold!!

and stops after some litke raving pumps up the oil presure, .. .... Mine does . If your engines are like this irs the vvt valves , now the problem is the vvt itself is like 250 usd, and must not ne droped or Hit during installation!! But the valves, are 300 usd each, 2x each side.... ..sad 😔, and sensor replacement us recommended , that's 270 usd 2x, each side, now that I can live with a litle knoc on stat up when hot. Even though sometines in parking lot . People will loom .cat looks nice, then u start, and sounds like one of your pistons might fall out. But then after a few seconds . When I rew the engine. And u can only hear the wine of the supercharge , ( lower and upper pulleys done so 35% higher rpm on charger ) , and you also hear the free flowing MAGNA tech exhaust roar, then all is GOOD IN THE WORKD AGAIN, LOL,😁

Old 10-04-2018, 08:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by keithbradley
My XF SC 5.0 sounds similar, on warm restarts. I plan on replacing the chain/guides/tensioner as they are known for wear on these engines anyway, and I can't come up with another explanation for the noise. I've put 7k miles on the car since I bought it and this noise was there from day one, so it hasn't been an issue, but it would be catastrophic if it failed under power.
same model year, same issue, same consistency, same miles driven with no worsening of the noise.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Alsaropolis
Well it happens mostly on hot engines, not cold!!

and stops after some litke raving pumps up the oil presure, .. .... Mine does . If your engines are like this irs the vvt valves , now the problem is the vvt itself is like 250 usd, and must not ne droped or Hit during installation!! But the valves, are 300 usd each, 2x each side.... ..sad 😔, and sensor replacement us recommended , that's 270 usd 2x, each side, now that I can live with a litle knoc on stat up when hot. Even though sometines in parking lot . People will loom .cat looks nice, then u start, and sounds like one of your pistons might fall out. But then after a few seconds . When I rew the engine. And u can only hear the wine of the supercharge , ( lower and upper pulleys done so 35% higher rpm on charger ) , and you also hear the free flowing MAGNA tech exhaust roar, then all is GOOD IN THE WORKD AGAIN, LOL,😁

I've read that 3 times and I still don't know what it say's.

Are you trying to say its the VVT valves that are making the noise?

Old 10-05-2018, 03:27 PM

So what's the general thought process then, if it sounds like this do nothing? - It's normal in most cars. Or quick get it off to the dealers and pull your own pants down and replace the tensioners and let them empty your bank account.

My indy told me he had a 26k mile XKR that made mine sounds quite in the other day.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I get the slight tapping noise on my 2013 Range Rover Sport NA.

The car is outside the VIN range, for RRs, for it to be the chain tensioners since it is supposed to have the updated ones to solve the earlier issue.

I cannot hear the noise inside the car but can outside with the hood closed. The noise is coming from the rear of the engine and occurs cold as well as normal operating temp.

The tapping increases in tempo when revving.

I have 83,000 miles on it.

The noise saved me about $3,000 when negotiating my buy price with a Toyota dealer. The work to replace the tensioners is about $6k at a JLR dealer. Of course if you suffer catastrophic failure due to a chain jumping a couple of sprocket teeth..........

I suspect it is a tappet clearance out of spec.

Last edited by jackra_1; 10-05-2018 at 04:23 PM.