XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 XJ Sunroof Popping Knocking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 XJ Sunroof Popping Knocking Noise

Hello,

My name is Adil from the DFW area and I'm new to these forums. I hope I posted in the correct place.

I have a 2012 Jaguar XJ out of original warranty but I did buy an extended warranty. I purchased it from an independent dealer new years 2015 with 57k Miles

Just to give you an idea of this problem.. the sunroof has been an issue with the car since day one. I originally thought it was a suspension issue before buying. The dealer I bought it from assured me they would correct it so I went ahead and bought it. Later on I was told it was the sunroof making the popping noise. Something Jaguar was familiar with.

Basically I spent all of last year sending this car back and forth to the closest jaguar dealership which is 1.5 hours away. The dealer I bought it from kept their word and spent thousands trying to fix the sunroof. From headliner clips to modifying kits nothing worked. And after the jaguar dealer failed to fix it they gave up.. and told me flat out they cant correct it. The Jag service adviser told me if it was under original warranty he could have maybe done more. And my extended warranty says they will not even touch the sunroof. Over time the wind noise has increased and the fabric part does not shut all the way anymore. Which I tried to get fixed a few months ago when a fuel injector went out(which extended warranty paid for thankfully). I thought there would be some warranty on their workmanship/product but the jag dealer was trying to charge me more for the terrible work they did.

In the end the dealer I bought from could only apologize for Jaguars failure to fix this problem. And I cant be mad at them because they did their best to keep their word.

A year later its winter and this noise is still there.. ruining the experience of driving this beautiful car. Every turn, bounce, and bump makes the sunroof pop and knock like it was designed to do so.

I decided to call Jaguar corporate earlier this week. And I got a call back today with a denial in my request for them to fix my sunroof. The Jag dealer where I service this car told corporate they were not able to duplicate the noise. Which they know about, tried to fix multiple times and I even sent them a video through youtube. Seemed like they had nothing but reasons on why they wouldn't help me. Including when someone cracked my windshield a few months ago while it was parked in a driveway. Claiming its an accident that made the popping noise.. when its been there since day one. I gave up on trying to reason for help.

Video Found here:

So I thought I'd reach out to the Jag Community in hopes someone knows if there's something that can be done.

Is there a solution to this problem? Other than just getting rid of it. I usually keep my cars a pretty long time would be sad to see it go. Seems like Ive had nothing but bad luck.

I appreciate your time and sorry about my long story of frustration.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a big thread about it -

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...popping-88721/

There's more in the search function. I've never had the problem, so I can't help you directly.