XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2013/2014 V6AWD vs V8 SuperCharged

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2013/2014 V6AWD vs V8 SuperCharged

Hello Everyone, I will be purchasing a 2013 or 2014 Jaguar XJL Portfolio V6 3.0 AWD in 2017 of March. I have been going back on forth about Which model to purchase should I get a V8 Supercharged or V6 3.0 AWD. I live in Maryland so I will have to drive through Wintery Conditions. I have heard people recommend if I am concerned about the snow, that if I buy good Snow tires I would get good tracking during snow and icy condition. I really Like the phosphor blue halo interior illumination and the 20 Speaker 825 watt Sound System. I would like to get the Meridian 825-Watt Premium Surround Sound System and the Illumination Package with Massage in my vehicle. I searched different car buying websites and found some vehicles with those features already in the car but not many, If I was to upgrade to the V8 Supercharged, does that Automatically include more features that may include the feature I want in my vehicle which is not available on the 2013/2014 Jaguar XJL Portfolio V6 AWD. If I am concerned about snow, should I get the V6 AWD instead of V8. Please provide your knowledge to help me, The pro and Cons of both 2013/2014 Jaguar XJL V6 AWD and 2013/2014 Jaguar XJ Supercharged. Thank you

Old 10-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

smoove01, I am south of you by an hour (California, MD). I have the naturally aspirated V8, so, I fall in between the two motors you are looking at. I drove my car last year in the snow. The car should have a "snow mode" on the center console to help limit power. So, the worry about applying too much power with the supercharged V8 should be minimized (assuming the car has this feature). But, you may find that if the roads are really bad, having the AWD will make a world of a difference. I noticed the difference when I went from my X-Type (AWD) to the XJ (2wd). I know they are 2 different vehicles, but the handling in the snow was definitely noticeable as the X-Type would pull through the snow where you had to think ahead with the XJ and be somewhat creative with the gas and steering to keep things going where you wanted.

I guess I would start with having you answer how your snow driving skills are? I grew up in NW Ohio. So, I grew up in an area with lots of snow and had to learn early how to drive on icy roads. So, having a 2wd vehicle is no concern to me. If you are unsure about your abilities, then the AWD XJ will be the wiser choice. If you have above average snow driving ability, then the supercharged car is going to be the winner hands down. Just keep in mind that if you take the supercharged car out in adverse weather and don't turn on the "snow traction", you may find the car quite the handful to keep going straight as applying too much power can be easy to do and get you in trouble easy.

I will offer another point to ponder: are you buying the car for the 5 days a year that we get adverse weather or for the other 360 days where the weather is not so much of a concern? Some jobs require you to be able to get to work regardless of the weather conditions (I am in one of those as I am sure you want lights on at your house since I work at a power plant). But, if you are in a profession where if you miss a day because of weather, it is no big deal, then this would also sway one towards the supercharged V8.

On a side note, next weekend (the 16th), a few of us are meeting at MIR for some fun at the track with our cars.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Chris, Thanks for your reply, What year is your XJ and is your V8 a Portfolio or Supercharged.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Smoove01, I Have a basic 2012 XJ. In 2012, you had a few more trim levels to choose from (basic, portfolio, supercharged, and XJR)

This car has almost all the toys I wanted (really wanted an XJL with the rear airline trays). My needs are pretty easy to be met. The thought of the adaptable cruise control would have been nice, but I rarely use the cruise anyways (find I fall asleep while driving the car with it on).

I had contemplated a 2013 XJ with the supercharged V6 and AWD, but I was looking at something more to have fun with and especially on dry roads, you will find that making the tires chirp with the AWD is about next to impossible.

Related to this, while I was in London for the "Feel XE" event, I got to talk to a lot of high people in Jaguar and a little birdie told me that Jaguar is looking at releasing the supercharged V8 in the AWD car. I have not heard anything solid yet, but that may be the best of both worlds for you. The question becomes how patient can you be? Supposedly they were going to detune the car slightly (down to 458 hp as I recall) due to the AWD system.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:28 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Watch these and then decide .......

The V6 ...

The V8 SC ....