XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2013 XJ Changes & Updates?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts
Default Drove my origionally ordered 2012 Supersport/Speed Package Cat

The saga continues. As I stated before I ordered a 2012 Jaguar XJ SuperSport with the Speed Package way back in January and due to delays in building the car finally arrived this past Monday. In the meantime since delivery was so drawn out and that 2013 production started August 1st, I had decided to roll my order to a 2013 model year. In the meantime I have gotten quite chummy with the Jaguar market manager and we communicate often as to the disposition of my “old” car and “new” car. Tom the market manager had told me that my 2012 car had arrived at the Hennessy Jaguar Dealership in Atlanta and offered to bring it by my work to look at as I wanted to be sure that the 2013 car I ordered was all the right exterior and interior colors and finishes that are the same as the 2012 car. The car is to be used as a manufacturers demo and in fact is going to be loaned to Porsche of North America. Well Tom came by and I not only got to look it over but take it for a short drive. WOW this car was unlike the normally aspirated and supercharged models I had previously driven. This car a short wheel base was so there, it’s response to steering, braking, ride, and of course acceleration made it a true sport sedan. With the catlike response to any driver input and the car is gorgeous as the pictures will show. Currently the 2013 car is tentatively due to arrive at the Hennessy Dealership near me in Alpharetta November 20th and I cannot wait now that I’ve had a chance to see and drive the 2012 car and know the 2013 will be even better.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 XJ Changes & Updates?-car-1.jpg   2013 XJ Changes & Updates?-car-2.jpg   2013 XJ Changes & Updates?-car-3.jpg   2013 XJ Changes & Updates?-car-4.jpg   2013 XJ Changes & Updates?-car-5.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
IB Nolan (08-30-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
I don't know why they would go with 8 speeds. My car has 8 speeds and I'm not a big fan of it. Too much indecision sometimes on which gear to stay in. As far as I know, the current XJ gear box is close to perfect, I think having 8 speeds just for the sake of bragging rights or fuel economy is not wise, unless the software is advanced enough to not go from 5th to 7th on an uphill at 1,900rpm when the sweet spot for such shift is at at least at 3,000rpm.
One of the reasons I went with the xj was the superb gearbox. Most 8 speeds I have driven seem to change up to very high gear by 25-30mph completely robbing the car of the power that you paid for. The jag seems to be in right gear at the right time without resorting to paddles. If that uses more fuel then it's a fair trade off for me.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 970 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerdodger
Hi Guys:

Later in the year, I will be in the market for a new XJ.

Although I am in the USA, a friend in the UK spoke to a Jag dealer that he knows who said that they had heard whispers of a few possible changes for the new model year.

He told my friend that the XJ will have a 8 speed auto gearbox plus possible refinement to the rear of the car, such as changes on the trunk lid, new rear light clusters, etc.

Anyone know someone at Jag who can confirm or deny this??

Also, I contacted Jag to suggest that they should update the software (or whatever is required) to offer a user adjustable option of displaying the speed in digital format, rather than analog. With virtual instruments, it should be easy to do. Personally, I always prefer a digital speed readout. In an ideal world, I would like them to offer a 'heads up display' but I guess they won't go that route

My apologies if this has been discussed previously.

Regards,

Roger
I'm a little late to this party, but maybe these will help some.
One of the Mod's may find a better place to park these for easier access by others.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 08-15-2012 at 11:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
axr6 (08-15-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

It seems like all they are doing is making more things optional and not standard. True they are offering eco start/stop, some new engines options, meridian stereos but thats about it. I am not seeing any new innovations or any significant upgrades like to the infotainment center or low res TFT. I would love for them to update their lazy daytime running lamps. The signature lights and the low beam? Come on!

Last edited by ExpatJag; 08-16-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Want to see the 2013 lineup for USA including AWD cars, go here: Build Your Own Jaguar | Jaguar USA

Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
The saga continues. As I stated before I ordered a 2012 Jaguar XJ SuperSport with the Speed Package way back in January and due to delays in building the car finally arrived this past Monday. In the meantime since delivery was so drawn out and that 2013 production started August 1st, I had decided to roll my order to a 2013 model year. In the meantime I have gotten quite chummy with the Jaguar market manager and we communicate often as to the disposition of my “old” car and “new” car. Tom the market manager had told me that my 2012 car had arrived at the Hennessy Jaguar Dealership in Atlanta and offered to bring it by my work to look at as I wanted to be sure that the 2013 car I ordered was all the right exterior and interior colors and finishes that are the same as the 2012 car. The car is to be used as a manufacturers demo and in fact is going to be loaned to Porsche of North America. Well Tom came by and I not only got to look it over but take it for a short drive. WOW this car was unlike the normally aspirated and supercharged models I had previously driven. This car a short wheel base was so there, it’s response to steering, braking, ride, and of course acceleration made it a true sport sedan. With the catlike response to any driver input and the car is gorgeous as the pictures will show. Currently the 2013 car is tentatively due to arrive at the Hennessy Dealership near me in Alpharetta November 20th and I cannot wait now that I’ve had a chance to see and drive the 2012 car and know the 2013 will be even better.
Doesn't that package come with different seats? Do you have a picture of what those seats look like?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Smokin, The SuperSport Speed package does not include the interior changes as is available for the Supercharged cars as the Supersport has the highest line of interior and seating. Go here for an explanation. Jaguar USA - JAGUAR XJ SPORT AND SPEED PACKS

Old 08-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

and here: http://www.jaguar.com/gl/en/allnewxj/option_packs and here
Jaguar International - XJ Interior Sport Pack

Last edited by XJsss; 08-30-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

FYI - I've just called the parts dept. of my local Jag dealer to see if the new 2013 rear deck letterings were available. This should be a "JAGUAR" badge mounted under the leaper and a "5.0" badge mounted on the right of the trunk lid. That is pretty much the visual difference between the 2011/2012 and the 2013 models. They are stick-on badges but, not yet available at the dealer. Should be soon.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
FYI - I've just called the parts dept. of my local Jag dealer to see if the new 2013 rear deck letterings were available. This should be a "JAGUAR" badge mounted under the leaper and a "5.0" badge mounted on the right of the trunk lid. That is pretty much the visual difference between the 2011/2012 and the 2013 models. They are stick-on badges but, not yet available at the dealer. Should be soon.
I would like to put the new badges on my 2012, also. I see the JAGUAR badge underneath the leaper are all separate letters.

Anyone know if they supply a fixing template to make sure that I get the letters J A G U A R straight?

Roger

Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaguar changed speaker supplier because the B&W system was far too inefficient to meet jaguars demands. The Meridian system is much more efficient than the B&W and uses a lot less power consumption. Total harmonic distortion of the new Meridian system is very low and almost matches Lexus Mark Levinson system. Remember watts isn't everything!!! The New system uses 825watts off power which is alomost 400watts less than the B&W and without compromise on the sound performance or quality (in fact it sounds alot better). This is something that B&W just couldn't match so Jaguar went else where..

Why does Lexus sound system in the LS sound so great and it's only rated at 450watts, it's because it uses very technological advanced and efficient amps and drivers with a total harmonic distortion of 0.1%. which is why less is sometimes more..

Remember car audio and home audio are totally different, the needs and demands from auto makers are much different from what we require in our homes or studios, etc.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I still think the 8 speed transmission is a mistake. My LS-460 has 8 speeds and I don't like it. Too many to choose from and the car almost never stays in the gear that offers the best torque and sweet spot in the rpm range. I think people who buy these cars don't care about 1 or 2 miles of less fuel consumption. Not to mention this new 'start-stop' technology. If this refers to the engine turning itself off at a full stop and then turning itself on when it's time to go, I'm not sure if hesitation out of a dead stop is something Jaguar drivers will appreciate.

Last edited by Maybe_XJ; 09-23-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I still think the 8 speed transmission is a mistake. My LS-460 has 8 speeds and I don't like it. Too many to choose from and the car almost never stays in the gear that offers the best torque and sweet spot in the rpm range. I think people who buy these cars don't care about 1 or 2 miles of less fuel consumption. Not to mention this new 'start-stop' technology. If this refers to the engine turning itself off at a full stop and then turning itself on when it's time to go, I'm not sure if hesitation out of a dead stop is something Jaguar drivers will appreciate.
+1

They should have relegated the 8 speed and the 'start-stop' to the V6 powerplant with AWD.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I really dislike cars with the "stop-start" feature. A friend of mine has a new CLS63 that has this and the first thing he does when he starts the car is turn it off (it reverts back when you turn off the car). You can definitely feel the hesitation when you take off. Unfortunately, it's probably going to eventually be in all cars since it's touted as a fuel saving feature.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jaguar should get rid of the panoramic glass roof. It's causes too many problems and is either a major design flaw? Or jaguar doesn't know how to build a car with this roof structure? Many other models from Mercedes to Hyundai to a better job with the double glass roofs. What a shame because I really love to look from inside the cabin. But all the rattles creaks aren't worth it. Also. The 2013 range rover is coming with the panoramic glass roof. Imagine all the problems that they are going to have on that vehicle Especially if u take it off road!

Last edited by Venture; 09-25-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I really dislike cars with the "stop-start" feature. A friend of mine has a new CLS63 that has this and the first thing he does when he starts the car is turn it off (it reverts back when you turn off the car). You can definitely feel the hesitation when you take off. Unfortunately, it's probably going to eventually be in all cars since it's touted as a fuel saving feature.
Well, people vote with their wallets. This feature should be an option, either we as customers want it or not. Should be a check box on the order form. I won't buy a car with a feature I don't want and that will annoy me on a daily basis.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, people vote with their wallets. This feature should be an option, either we as customers want it or not. Should be a check box on the order form. I won't buy a car with a feature I don't want and that will annoy me on a daily basis.
I don't think the car manufacturers will have much choice with the ever increasing government gas mileage requirements. They have to keep dreaming up ways to save gas and that's why it will never be an option.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I don't think the car manufacturers will have much choice with the ever increasing government gas mileage requirements. They have to keep dreaming up ways to save gas and that's why it will never be an option.
Without entering into politics, this is one more example of governments influencing markets. This is not the role of governments. If it comes to a point where no cars will come out without this feature... I will not buy new cars. Simple. We the customers have a lot more power than we think we have

Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

This subject is getting a lot of attention on I thinks and what ifs. To date no one here seems to have driven an XJ with the new transmission setup, so all is conjecture. Jaguar has spent a lot of time working on this and the other changes, so let’s see what the real experience will be like. My XJ SuperSport is “on the water” on its way to my dealer. I don’t have a firm delivery date, but will be late October early November and then I will report back on the actual experience and anyone who has the opportunity to drive a 2013 before please tell us about your experience.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Absolutely right!!! I am with you on this.

Without entering into politics, this is one more example of governments influencing markets. This is not the role of governments. If it comes to a point where no cars will come out without this feature... I will not buy new cars. Simple. We the customers have a lot more power than we think we have
And, we should use it to keep government small. After all, they are our employees.

Quick Reply: 2013 XJ Changes & Updates?