XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

5.0 Misfiring!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 5.0 Misfiring!!!

Misfire codes, anybody having this issue with their XJ's, some feed back would be great if so.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I haven't found any codes when I hooked up my scanner a while ago. I do know that the SC version does have a little "shake" here or there in idle run. Not a lot, but feels like a misfire.

I will hook up my scanner software once again next couple days and see if there are any codes.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Be sure and pay attention to your fuel source, as fuel quality and contamination is the first culprit in causing misfires. Jaguar is beginning to recommend BG 44K Power Enhancer Cleaner at the first sign of misfires or roughness. They advise no more than twice in a 15K service interval. This applies to 4.2L and 5.0L, just be aware that the direct injection 5.0L will be more susceptible. Remember, the 5.0L was basically racing technology 5-6 years ago.

Just a thought...........

Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 AM

I'm assuming your a Jag tech as well as me, due to the fact that you have SSM info you have posted. A little feedback on the misfiring, I new it was fuel related from the get go. What I was trying to do is eventually bring up the fact that 44k should be used during the 15k interval. Matter fact I just replaced 3 injectors on the X351 5.0S/C yesterday. So will see what happens, alcohol content in the fuel is also a suspect issue too....'

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Be sure and pay attention to your fuel source, as fuel quality and contamination is the first culprit in causing misfires. Jaguar is beginning to recommend BG 44K Power Enhancer Cleaner at the first sign of misfires or roughness. They advise no more than twice in a 15K service interval. This applies to 4.2L and 5.0L, just be aware that the direct injection 5.0L will be more susceptible. Remember, the 5.0L was basically racing technology 5-6 years ago.

Just a thought...........

Old 02-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by jaglover922
I'm assuming your a Jag tech as well as me, due to the fact that you have SSM info you have posted. A little feedback on the misfiring, I new it was fuel related from the get go. What I was trying to do is eventually bring up the fact that 44k should be used during the 15k interval. Matter fact I just replaced 3 injectors on the X351 5.0S/C yesterday. So will see what happens, alcohol content in the fuel is also a suspect issue too....'
Right you are.....on all counts!

As of yet, we have only seen some sporadic rough running and misfire faults. Nothing yet that required injectors. So far they seem rougher when new, then they settle down for a while and then it begins showing up near or after the 15K. I guess we'll see if the 44k does the trick. I think it will help.
Amen to the alcohol!! I just bought a glass graduated cylinder to make it easier to test for excessive alcohol.

Cheers,

Old 02-13-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Right you are.....on all counts!

As of yet, we have only seen some sporadic rough running and misfire faults. Nothing yet that required injectors. So far they seem rougher when new, then they settle down for a while and then it begins showing up near or after the 15K. I guess we'll see if the 44k does the trick. I think it will help.
Amen to the alcohol!! I just bought a glass graduated cylinder to make it easier to test for excessive alcohol.

Cheers,
I would tell you what the techline said in regards to this issue, but what they said would not be a good idea to post on the forum. It was a ludicris response. Actually it smells of lawsuit, but we'll see.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for not sharing what the techline said. Many may misunderstand that that info is shared with qualified techs for good reason. I am not a Jag tech but used to work on planes in my past.

Fuel issues are the most suspect here. There is a reason aviation fuel is of a higher grade. You won't have a series of misfires during take off. (Talking piston engines here).

Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

At our dealer we have replaced a couple injectors for misfire codes on 5.0l motors before the BG 44k service message came out and the cars and haven't had a problem since.

i have noticed the s/c 5.0l motors all have a little shake at idle, i consider it normal.

we have a gas tester kit to check ethanol levels in gas, you may want to look into getting one. if is really inexpensive, it is just a plastic syringe you suck up a metered amount of water and metered amount of gas shake it up in the syringe and let sit for x amount of minutes then measure the amount of water increase in the syringe then there is a chart that gives you percentage of ethanol content.

can be purchased here

http://www.fueltestkit.com/