XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Am I jammy or what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Am I jammy or what?

Am I jammy or what?

On Tuesday morning I set off on a journey from Wakefield to a village in Warwickshire (110 miles) After about 25 miles southward on the M1 an error message briefly flashed up ‘Electric circuit fault’ The same error message flashed up again a few times before I decided to abort and return home at the next junction. About 5 miles from home every The error message imaginable flash up but the car kept going. At the M1 exit junction 41 the dashboard and Sat Nav screen went black, the lights and indicators stopped working. With 1 mile to go the power steering failed. Two more left turns positioned me to enter my front drive. The car finally stopped abruptly 5’ short of its normal parking place.
Fortunately, because I was in the car I didn’t need to gain access with the emergency key. All other doors and brakes were in the locked position. I suspected my problem was an alternator failure and the fact that I had been able to continue homeward must have relied on the charge in the battery. The final stop must have been due to the fuel pump packing up.

I wasn’t able to open the boot to gain access to the battery. I tried connecting my battery charger to the fuse box terminals so that I could place the car in neutral to aid it’s recovery on a flatbed trailer but it because the battery was totally dead it wouldn’t work. I suspected a serious dead short was diverting the current.
Anyway, the trailer arrived two hours later and my beloved XJ was dragged across the drive and up the ramp. Not a pleasant sight.

My dealership wasn’t able to open the boot either and after a phone call to Jaguar was able to access the wiring loom after removing the back seat.
Tomorrow I should learn how much this episode is going to cost me. I am prepared for the worst but at least it got me home instead of being stranded on the M1.
Is that Jammy or what?
Sent from my iPad

Old 11-29-2018, 07:45 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Langstraat
Am I jammy or what?
Well I suppose with regard to getting home, definitely!
Would have been even better if it hadn't happened at all though.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Received 6,340 Likes on 5,525 Posts

A glass half full type of guy obviously.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I'd like that kind of luck.

In September I set off south to the Mediterranean and 1300 miles from home ground to a halt shortly after refuelling. The car spent four days with the nearest Jaguar Dealer. I've bought cars for less than that bill. Hope you get off a lot lighter!

Graham

Old 11-29-2018, 11:22 AM

Well, I picked my car up this afternoon.
As mentioned above.The garage was unable to open the boot as described by the emergency method of ‘Jumping’ the onnection through theengine bay fuse box and had to connact Jaguar for the walk round. I’ve since emailed the dealership proceedure posted by ‘xdave’ in a sticky at the head of our XJ forum.

Because the battery was the original 2011 and I’m hoping to change it next year I decided to have it replaced (I’ve had old batteries pack-up unexpectedly on me before)

Labour...£540.00
Battery...£134.58
Alternator £579.79
Fuse £5.10

Total with tax........£1511.36

The following users liked this post:
Norri (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Your dealer should know this?
There is a release behind the rear seat back that is very simple to use?

Here is where the plug is;

Here is the shop manual instructions;

Old 12-05-2018, 07:58 AM

Well,
One week after the alternator failure and it’s subsequent replacement along with a new battery. I now have another error message pop-up every few minutes. An Amber Suspension Fault warning. I’ve tried the usual elimation tests: switched to Sports mode and even Racetrack setting but with the same result.The car drives with no sign of a suspension fault.
Ideas please.