XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Anyone extremely happy with their car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Now that all of the bugs have been fixed (yes, it is possible for a competant dealer to completely fix everything, even the annoying roof popping), I am extremely satisfied with this car. Now I know why I had to have it!

Motor Trend did a road test this month on a XJL SC in their 10 Best Cars competition and it did 0 - 60 in 4.0 seconds flat and the quarter mile in 12.3 @ 116 MPH! It was a runner up in the competition (got beat out by the Chevy Volt no less) and was both the longest car they tested and the fastest! There is no doubt that this car is a rocket ship--much faster than any other high performance sedan I have ever owned (or that is currently available for that matter) and just a blast to drive. Jaguar's published performance figures are way too low.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointment disappointment!!!!

Just got my new XJL, was totally disappointed with Jaguar and the dealer.

Jaguar's brochure claim that the function "Interactive voice" is a standard feature. When i receive the car, there is no such function. Question the dealer, dealer claim that this function an option and is not available in Singapore.......claim that that the system cannot recognise singaporean style of speaking english...... what a crap!!!...... i have officially requested a formal letter of explanation from my dealer and Jaguar. But understand from this forum there are a few problem with interactive voice system....maybe that is the reason why they do not want to bring in.....

Another problem is that the LED day time running light cannot on concurrently with Auto Light mode. This is one of the most stupid design flaw by jaguar. Driven an audi and mercedes before and their LED light can operate concurrently with auto light mode.

The best part is went to the dealer on technical question but dealer reply that this is a relatively new car they are also not sure!!!!!
Just to share some of my experience

Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

4.0 seconds ?!?!? Wow, that is indeed fast. Sure faster then previously advertised and Faster then my CLS. It doesn't feel that fast though. But I do believe it.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by JL108
Just got my new XJL, was totally disappointed with Jaguar and the dealer.

Jaguar's brochure claim that the function "Interactive voice" is a standard feature. When i receive the car, there is no such function. Question the dealer, dealer claim that this function an option and is not available in Singapore.......claim that that the system cannot recognise singaporean style of speaking english...... what a crap!!!...... i have officially requested a formal letter of explanation from my dealer and Jaguar. But understand from this forum there are a few problem with interactive voice system....maybe that is the reason why they do not want to bring in.....

Another problem is that the LED day time running light cannot on concurrently with Auto Light mode. This is one of the most stupid design flaw by jaguar. Driven an audi and mercedes before and their LED light can operate concurrently with auto light mode.

The best part is went to the dealer on technical question but dealer reply that this is a relatively new car they are also not sure!!!!!
Just to share some of my experience
Your dealer is feeding you a bunch of BS in terms of the voice module. Check your VIN number and make sure it is not a very low one. Some of those need some hardware modules exchanged to get voice comand working properly. But otherwise they are feeding you nothing but useless BS. The voice command works as designed. ( You can argue about ease of use and design, but nevertheless it works near perfect in my car.) And all it required was a software update. All this Singapor stuff is total bogus. If you'd like I send you the TSB's and the "Major Upgrade" TSB wich covers that part. Then you can show your dealer on paper what they have to do. And then you would have the same info your dealer received from Jaguar.
It really gets me mad and pissed of to hear that a dealer can explain such bogus crap to cover up their own short comings. I doubt you will ever get a written letter stating the Voice Command stuff. Sounds like the dealer is lacking equipment or knowledge and is making up outragous lies to cover it up. Let me know or send me an email if you want PDF files of the TSB info. It covers exactly which VIN number needs what done and so forth.

The following users liked this post:
JL108 (01-23-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by gears
Your dealer is feeding you a bunch of BS in terms of the voice module. Check your VIN number and make sure it is not a very low one. Some of those need some hardware modules exchanged to get voice comand working properly. But otherwise they are feeding you nothing but useless BS. The voice command works as designed. ( You can argue about ease of use and design, but nevertheless it works near perfect in my car.) And all it required was a software update. All this Singapor stuff is total bogus. If you'd like I send you the TSB's and the "Major Upgrade" TSB wich covers that part. Then you can show your dealer on paper what they have to do. And then you would have the same info your dealer received from Jaguar.
It really gets me mad and pissed of to hear that a dealer can explain such bogus crap to cover up their own short comings. I doubt you will ever get a written letter stating the Voice Command stuff. Sounds like the dealer is lacking equipment or knowledge and is making up outragous lies to cover it up. Let me know or send me an email if you want PDF files of the TSB info. It covers exactly which VIN number needs what done and so forth.
....and the dealer is correct about the LED lights. ALl he can do to get you day time running is to put the car in "Canada Mode". The car being new is no excuse for the dealer. Tell them to get his staff trained. I would write a major complaint letter describing the BS you had been fed to Jaguar of NA. Somebody posted a contact info to a VP here on the board. And my Jaguar dealer staff is VERY knowledgable about the car, regardless how new. And the "new" excuse is wearing thin by now.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

The poster with the voice and LED DRL issues is in Singapore. Doubt that Jaguar of NA would be able to assist with an asian region dealer...

Old 01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

So for the cars here in US, when you want the DLR lights on, those are the front white LEDs correct? When you turn the low beams on, the LEDs turn off right? Isn't that normal? "Canada mode" would the low beams always on? I'd hate that...

Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
So for the cars here in US, when you want the DLR lights on, those are the front white LEDs correct? When you turn the low beams on, the LEDs turn off right? Isn't that normal? "Canada mode" would the low beams always on? I'd hate that...
My dealer tells me that the "daytime running lights" setting for Canada just means that the headlights and LED's are on all of the time (you can have your dealer change the setting to this if you want). You cannot just have the LED's on during the day without the headlights and you can't have the headlights on at night without the LED's. I wanted to be able to just turn on the LED's during the day for the same look that my wife's Mercedes E550 Coupe has--the LED's mounted down low in the front bumper are on all of the time whether the headlights are on or not and looks very cool.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
My dealer tells me that the "daytime running lights" setting for Canada just means that the headlights and LED's are on all of the time (you can have your dealer change the setting to this if you want). You cannot just have the LED's on during the day without the headlights and you can't have the headlights on at night without the LED's. I wanted to be able to just turn on the LED's during the day for the same look that my wife's Mercedes E550 Coupe has--the LED's mounted down low in the front bumper are on all of the time whether the headlights are on or not and looks very cool.
If you put the headlight switch in the first position the led lights will turn on without the headlights, but the rear lights will be on as well. It's a compromise I guess.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM

4.0 seconds ?!?!? Wow, that is indeed fast. Sure faster then previously advertised and Faster then my CLS. It doesn't feel that fast though. But I do believe it.
Yeah 4.0 seconds is incredibly fast especially a car this BIG, the Cadillac CTSV which is currently the fastest production sedan does it in 3.9 that's only a tenth quicker. I haven't taken it to a track to verify the numbers but friends of mine at work have a 2010 CTSV and a 2010 Jaguar XFR and I can beat the XFR off the line by about a car length and the CTSV only gets about a fenders length ahead of me. FAST INDEED!!

I guess the xj being all aluminum and lighter than those cars makes a big difference also maybe because of it's size you don't notice the speed much.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MIAXFSC
If you put the headlight switch in the first position the led lights will turn on without the headlights, but the rear lights will be on as well. It's a compromise I guess.
I never tried that. They call that switch position "sidelights" in the manual but it's really just the parking lights since the rear lights come on too.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by MIAXFSC
Yeah 4.0 seconds is incredibly fast especially a car this BIG, the Cadillac CTSV which is currently the fastest production sedan does it in 3.9 that's only a tenth quicker. I haven't taken it to a track to verify the numbers but friends of mine at work have a 2010 CTSV and a 2010 Jaguar XFR and I can beat the XFR off the line by about a car length and the CTSV only gets about a fenders length ahead of me. FAST INDEED!!

I guess the xj being all aluminum and lighter than those cars makes a big difference also maybe because of it's size you don't notice the speed much.
What is really impressive is the quarter mile in 12.3 seconds @116 MPH. Interesting that you can beat the XFR with 510 HP off the line and it doesn't surprise me that the CTSV is slightly faster--that car is incredibly quick. I've made believers out of a few Porsches and Corvettes so far! This car is way faster than the Maserati QP Sport GT I traded for it.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Hi Gear,

I would love to have the PDF file. Please email to me at jonathan_088@hotmail.com. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
The poster with the voice and LED DRL issues is in Singapore. Doubt that Jaguar of NA would be able to assist with an asian region dealer...
Just wanted to raise the matters and highlight to other XJ owner.

Strangely, i have search the web but there don't seem to have any info on which jaguar's department that handle after sale complain. It seem like owner can only complain the the dealer which usually get nothing done. Worst case some the dealer is pushing the blame to Jaguar. My dealer specifically told me that it is not that they do not want to bring in "Interactive Voice" System but Jaguar does not have this function in Asia.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:53 PM

I completely understand your frustration and feel for you. I was just pointing out to others that had recommended that you contact Jaguar of North America that you were not located in the US and that Jaguar of North America probably would not be able to assist you since you were in Asia and that they would probably have little ability to influence an asian-based dealer.

Perhaps in your conversations with your dealer, if they are placing the blame on Jaguar, that they would be able to provide a contact within Jaguar with which you could voice your concerns? There has to be some sort of support/call center that supports your region -- probably not directly in Singapore, but somewhere in Asia that supports that region.

I agree that Jaguar's website pretty much sucks and with a quick browse, I could not locate any corporate contact information on the site either.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 PM

I completely understand your frustration and feel for you. I was just pointing out to others that had recommended that you contact Jaguar of North America that you were not located in the US and that Jaguar of North America probably would not be able to assist you since you were in Asia and that they would probably have little ability to influence an asian-based dealer.

Perhaps in your conversations with your dealer, if they are placing the blame on Jaguar, that they would be able to provide a contact within Jaguar with which you could voice your concerns? There has to be some sort of support/call center that supports your region -- probably not directly in Singapore, but somewhere in Asia that supports that region.

I agree that Jaguar's website pretty much sucks and with a quick browse, I could not locate any corporate contact information on the site either.
Jaguar being owned by Tata I would be surprised if the call center is not located in India.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 AM

Wondering how Jaguar is going to improve on its product when there is no proper channel for feedback and complain.

I am very worried for the new owner Tata.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM

It appears that the Jaguar website has a "contact us" link for the larger markets/countries (US, UK, Japan, etc) but not for the smaller countries like yours.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JL108
Hi Gear,

I would love to have the PDF file. Please email to me at jonathan_088@hotmail.com. Thanks in advance.
I will send you those today. And sorry, I didn't realize you are located in Singapore and my comments may not be completely accurate in regards to the voice recognition. However, Jaguar shouldn't advertise what they can't deliver.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM

It appears that the Jaguar website has a "contact us" link for the larger markets/countries (US, UK, Japan, etc) but not for the smaller countries like yours.
Thank for the info, I went into the UK website manage to find the "contact us" link. Wanted to sent and email to double check the voice recognition availability. The website requires owner to fill up a lengthly online form before you can contact Jaguar.............GUESS WHAT!!!!!! After filling up all the information, the form cannot be sumitted.....keep prompting error. Tried a few time and gave up eventually. hopeless!!!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone extremely happy with their car?