XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Buying a 2012 XJL Portfolio (late year)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2012 XJL Portfolio (late year)

Greetings,

I'm looking to buy my first Jaguar and I'm thinking of the 2012 XJL portfolio with 45k miles. I'm just curious what are the notable things I should look for while checking out the car? Also, is there anyway I can check if the roof and headliner noise issue was fixed? I'm looking to daily drive it and I hope for good karma.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:02 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

The main thing is the water pump. At 45,000 miles it might still have the original water pump installed. If so you may be changing it in a week.
To check the headliner I would imagine turning into a steep driveway would twist the frame a little and get it to creek.
I would recommend getting all the fluids changed, it is 6 years old you know.
It seems you need really thin oil special made for the Jaguar engine. Otherwise you can spin a rod bearing.
It may be you need to be careful with all the fluids, but the oil seems to be critical.
Others may have some other things to look for.
Of course that's on top of all the normal stuff.

The following users liked this post:
yaayaareaa (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 08:06 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

How much is it? It would scare me to buy this car out of warranty and with that level of miles. Most likely nothing has been replaced yet and could be waiting to go. I know when I sell mine, it will most likely be when it gets to around that mileage. Whatever a normal car costs to fix, this car is 3-5x more.

yaayaareaa (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:42 AM

It might be worth the money to buy the carfax just for peace of mind. Most that I looked at were replaced at 36,000. That seemed to be the magic number. A few were earlier and later of course. Mine was replaced at 41,000 miles is the only reason I mentioned it. The other more important question is did they use that special motor oil. A lot of people have been having the bottom end of their motor tear up, possibly because someone got cheap with the oil changes and just used whatever was handy. Carfax will tell you if a Jaguar dealer maintained it with the right oil.

Mine started off with a corp in Cal. Made regular trips to Jaguar dealer. I'm hopeful it's all okay.

Try searching the online car sites for the car your looking at. Sometimes you'll see the same car from the same dealer on different sites. Strangely one sight will have a free carfax and another site won't offer one. The best thing to do is take some time and find the right one. Talk to the dealer.

A water pump is typically about $!,200 a new motor was $50,000 under warranty for one member at a Jaguar dealer. A brand new motor from Jaguar appears to be about $15,000. Much less for a low mileage motor from a junkyard.

yaayaareaa (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will almost certainly be on its second set of brakes. Make sure the brake discs (including the back faces) are in good order with no significant corrosion and wear lips.

Check the service history for regular oil changes, as you wont be able to see the engine oil unless you ask for some to be drawn off.

John

Old 02-03-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by JagGate
How much is it? It would scare me to buy this car out of warranty and with that level of miles. Most likely nothing has been replaced yet and could be waiting to go. I know when I sell mine, it will most likely be when it gets to around that mileage. Whatever a normal car costs to fix, this car is 3-5x more.
Oh yeah, it's from a dealership and it's 25k. total is 31k with 4 year + 60k additional warranty. There was a vibration on the car seat and the performance restricted light came on so I didn't pursue the purchase today though they said they'll look over it.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by rhomanski
It might be worth the money to buy the carfax just for peace of mind. Most that I looked at were replaced at 36,000. That seemed to be the magic number. A few were earlier and later of course. Mine was replaced at 41,000 miles is the only reason I mentioned it. The other more important question is did they use that special motor oil. A lot of people have been having the bottom end of their motor tear up, possibly because someone got cheap with the oil changes and just used whatever was handy. Carfax will tell you if a Jaguar dealer maintained it with the right oil.

Mine started off with a corp in Cal. Made regular trips to Jaguar dealer. I'm hopeful it's all okay.

Try searching the online car sites for the car your looking at. Sometimes you'll see the same car from the same dealer on different sites. Strangely one sight will have a free carfax and another site won't offer one. The best thing to do is take some time and find the right one. Talk to the dealer.

A water pump is typically about $!,200 a new motor was $50,000 under warranty for one member at a Jaguar dealer. A brand new motor from Jaguar appears to be about $15,000. Much less for a low mileage motor from a junkyard.
It's from the dealership so I had access to carfax. It was a leased car and driven less than 9k miles per year with all service done but no records of replacement of water pump. Should I demand it to the dealership? It's a Benz dealership btw

Old 02-03-2018, 05:25 PM

The main thing is the water pump. At 45,000 miles it might still have the original water pump installed. If so you may be changing it in a week.
To check the headliner I would imagine turning into a steep driveway would twist the frame a little and get it to creek.
I would recommend getting all the fluids changed, it is 6 years old you know.
It seems you need really thin oil special made for the Jaguar engine. Otherwise you can spin a rod bearing.
It may be you need to be careful with all the fluids, but the oil seems to be critical.
Others may have some other things to look for.
Of course that's on top of all the normal stuff.
Hi Rhom.

Thanks for the response! Anyway to check the water pump if it's been replaced? Here's the carfax of the car which looks good i think https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...WA2GB5CLV28650

Old 02-03-2018, 06:24 PM

It doesn't mention the water pump.
The first oil change listed is at 31,000 miles.
That's a little troubling.
Add to it the vibration and the restricted performance and that it's a base model, I might just pass.
Granted a base model is still beautiful, but most want at least the illumination package, where the air outlets light up and the door sills too.
I got a supercharged with everything but the TV's in the headrest for $30,000. It's got 65,000 miles and all the little things have already been done.
The only thing I didn't get was a silver paint job, it's a light gray but close to silver. I don't drive much anymore, maybe 1,200 miles a year so someone will get a good deal when I'm gone.
My point is you can always keep looking. If the dealer does satisfy you, then that's great, but you might be able to do better. At my age I was greedy and wanted a decked out one. Lol.
Just remember always enjoy the drive. It's half the fun.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:38 PM

It doesn't mention the water pump.
The first oil change listed is at 31,000 miles.
That's a little troubling.
Add to it the vibration and the restricted performance and that it's a base model, I might just pass.
Granted a base model is still beautiful, but most want at least the illumination package, where the air outlets light up and the door sills too.
I got a supercharged with everything but the TV's in the headrest for $30,000. It's got 65,000 miles and all the little things have already been done.
The only thing I didn't get was a silver paint job, it's a light gray but close to silver. I don't drive much anymore, maybe 1,200 miles a year so someone will get a good deal when I'm gone.
My point is you can always keep looking. If the dealer does satisfy you, then that's great, but you might be able to do better. At my age I was greedy and wanted a decked out one. Lol.
Just remember always enjoy the drive. It's half the fun.
I checked the car earlier and it is indeed a portfolio. Not sure why it says XJL base only but it has the executive package and upgraded wheels, pretty much loaded. I love the sound of an NA v8 and I drove a super sport before as well and I don’t need the SC power. I’ll contact the dealer about your points on the car fax though. They did offer me a generous warranty for the car

Old 02-03-2018, 08:32 PM

All that matters is that you are happy. I love the supercharger but the 5.0L even without a S/C is still very powerful. This is the first one I've ever had with a S/C, hope it doesn't wear out soon. I debated whether to get one or not, but then decided I have other cars to drive if this one breaks down until it's fixed.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts
Default Buyer Beware

Buyer Beware.

Never rely solely on a CarFax report because they report only what has been reported to them. Lots of bad stuff never gets reported.

The so-called "extended warranty" from the MBZ dealer is really a service contract from a third party unrelated to MBZ or Jaguar. That contract has exclusions, limitations, and deductibles that can enable the Administrator to "weasel out" of covering "pre-existing conditions" and deny paying other claims. You should read that entire contract before you buy the car, and not rely on the sales brochure or anything the salesperson tells you. They want your money and are not your friend.

Make sure that you know what you're buying. You're considering a signicant purchase, so before you buy it, pay a Jaguar dealer to do a Pre Purchase Inspection including written cost estimates of needed repairs that you can use to negotiate a lower price with the seller. Similarly, pay a body shop authorized to do Jaguar aluminum repairs to inspect for paint and body damage and repairs.

Don't buy a cat in a bag (pun intended). Do your due diligence so you won't be sorry.

yaayaareaa (02-07-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 07:24 AM

Stuart S is right, you have to be careful. Carfax isn't perfect at all. It could have had oil changes every 3,000 miles at an inde that didn't report it.

No way to know, without a lot of investigation. A member bought a warranty recently just as his motor went out. They refused to cover it of course.

If your a music lover like me. "Scubert's unfinished" sounds great on the B&W sound system. Others have been saying the other sound systems aren't as good and are hard to upgrade.

The following 2 users liked this post by rhomanski:
Stuart S (02-04-2018), yaayaareaa (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Buyer Beware.

Never rely solely on a CarFax report because they report only what has been reported to them. Lots of bad stuff never gets reported.

The so-called "extended warranty" from the MBZ dealer is really a service contract from a third party unrelated to MBZ or Jaguar. That contract has exclusions, limitations, and deductibles that can enable the Administrator to "weasel out" of covering "pre-existing conditions" and deny paying other claims. You should read that entire contract before you buy the car, and not rely on the sales brochure or anything the salesperson tells you. They want your money and are not your friend.

Make sure that you know what you're buying. You're considering a signicant purchase, so before you buy it, pay a Jaguar dealer to do a Pre Purchase Inspection including written cost estimates of needed repairs that you can use to negotiate a lower price with the seller. Similarly, pay a body shop authorized to do Jaguar aluminum repairs to inspect for paint and body damage and repairs.

Don't buy a cat in a bag (pun intended). Do your due diligence so you won't be sorry.
Thanks Stuart. I asked them to take the car to a Jaguar dealership to get a prepurchase inspection and make sure the water pump and etc gets fixed/replaced in order for me to take delivery

Old 02-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd run from this purchase. Red flags all over. The aftermarket warranty is little more than worthless. Deal is not so great either you could get a 13 or 14 for around that much.

I all but guarantee if you back out and then offer them $10k less they will take it. They took this car in trade and have almost nothing in it. These cars are VERY hard to move used. I looked at a 14 at a Jag dealer who wanted $55k for it. I got them down to $48k and then they let me take it home with me to think about it. I came back and said I am not quite sure and they started slashing the price right and left and got down to $40k. I declined at that point and this was over a year ago when 14's were up around $50's. The car remained on their lot for over a year after that and eventually they wholesaled it out. I promise you NO ONE else is looking at that car.

Last edited by JagGate; 02-08-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

I'm sure you'll have plenty of ammo to shoot down the price when you get the PPI report. You might even decide to walk away and look for a 2013-up with the improved 8-speed transmission and Meridian Surround Sound system.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I was able to get my 15 XJL AWD with 7985 miles on it for 50,000 in July 17. The car listed originally for 95,000 so I would be firmer with these people but personally I would look at a 13 or newer.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

At some year they dropped the wood picnic tables in the rear (shameful cost-cutting measure). They're an XJL hallmark and leave later year XJL's rear seating areas looking naked IMHO.

Something to think about if important to you

Old 02-11-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I'm sure you'll have plenty of ammo to shoot down the price when you get the PPI report. You might even decide to walk away and look for a 2013-up with the improved 8-speed transmission and Meridian Surround Sound system.
Dealer just got back to me. They noted that the fuel pump need, injector needs to be replaced which was 6k. The dealership is paying for it and they gave me a 5,000 mile dealership warranty.

Thanks for the tip, Stuart!

Old 02-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Glad it was found so easy. That should cure the warning light. What of the vibration though? Was that from the engine as well?

RoonieQ makes a good point about the seat back trays. I don't think I'll ever use them but they are a nice touch. They would have been great when I was in college and sharing the ride, and gas money, back home.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2012 XJL Portfolio (late year)