XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Center Console compartment - not latching

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Center Console compartment - not latching

Hi All. This is my 1st post and I've appreciated the information I've been able to read here. I picked up my new 2012 XJ S/C in late December. It only had 900Kms on it so it is like new and I am extremely happy with the new ride. My previous car was a 2008 BMW 550i /SportPkg an 6 Speed manual. It was a lot of fun. After have 3 BMW 5 series I have decided to drive something a little more relaxing and I really do enjoy this new car.

So my first little problem is the center console compartment. The latch won't latch, so the lid wants to pop back up being spring loaded. With a bit of fiddling with the mechanism I can get the thing to stay shut. I was wondering if others have had this problem or not. I hate to take it in for service for such a small problem, but it is irritating to say the least.

Rob

Old 01-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

usually its the latch sticking down from coffee etc being spilled in. although everyone always SWEARS nothing has ever been spilled in it. So I guess fairies and unicorns spilled it in here and thats why its all syrupy below the console trim once removed... Ide take it in and have them look at it as not latching if the button is up is usually not a issue..

Old 01-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I read on these forums this center console has always been an issue. Apparently the original latch exhibits the issue you're currently experiencing. They have a bulletin to replace the latch. So don't feel bad about taking it in for such a small issue. It's not small, it's annoying and they're aware of it.

On the other hand, I have the exact opposite problem. I suspect my latch WAS replaced before I purchased it (mine is 2011 with 27K) and mine i need TWO HANDS to push the freakin' button down to open it. Don't let it be cold, sometimes it's nearly impossible.

I decided to accumulate some minor issues for repair when my first service comes up.

So far it's just the latch.
Intermittent airbag sensor light (it's rare but it has stayed on a couple of times). Usually turning the car off and back on resolves it.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 AM

Thanks Derrick. It's going in on Monday so I'm sure it'll get fixed up properly.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:40 PM

Update: I took my XJ into the dealer today and they don't fix just the latch, instead they are ordering a new storage compartment, so it will be all fixed up soon enough.

Rob

Old 11-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My latch not latching

Originally Posted by rob.drummond
Hi All. This is my 1st post and I've appreciated the information I've been able to read here. I picked up my new 2012 XJ S/C in late December. It only had 900Kms on it so it is like new and I am extremely happy with the new ride. My previous car was a 2008 BMW 550i /SportPkg an 6 Speed manual. It was a lot of fun. After have 3 BMW 5 series I have decided to drive something a little more relaxing and I really do enjoy this new car.

So my first little problem is the center console compartment. The latch won't latch, so the lid wants to pop back up being spring loaded. With a bit of fiddling with the mechanism I can get the thing to stay shut. I was wondering if others have had this problem or not. I hate to take it in for service for such a small problem, but it is irritating to say the least.

Rob
yea rob heavy duty velcro from home depot was my answer. My XJL from i bought from cherry hill started with my sunviser drivers side they was supposed to fix it didnt happen finally came off all together now the latch disappointed to know they rather change the whole console then the $5 latch
HEAVY DUTY VELCRO IS A GOOD ANSWER!!
I have 2012 XJL from cherry hill

Old 11-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

This is an old thread that was started in January 2014. The OP may no longer be active on this Forum since his last post was in 2016.

The OPs problem with the armrest lid not latching is an easy fix, and it is not necessary to replace the entire armrest assembly. For details, see my 2017 thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fixed-177536/

Old 11-05-2018, 04:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem, but I couldn't even shut the center console, so I ended up replacing the unit. It was 50 euro for me ( not new ). Quite easy to replace ( less than an hour ).

Old 04-25-2020, 04:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this has been discussed quite frequently as it's a common issue, but I fixed mine without having to take anything apart after it exhibited all the symptoms others have experienced.

All I did was buy a can of CRC Isopropyl Alcohol Precision Cleaner (CRC 03201) and sprayed it (using the extension straw) a few times into the opening at both sides of the button while it was depressed. The cleaner is 99% pure IPA and dissolved the buildup keeping the button from returning very well. I was more than willing to disassemble the console trim to fix this but decided on trying a different route first. From what others were saying I agreed that oils or other lubricants might make things worse, especially come winter time.

The latch button functions quite easily and smoothly now, releasing and returning immediately. If the problem returns I'll see if this fix is reliable.

The following users liked this post:
Nedoerr (05-02-2020)
Old 07-19-2021, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Unrealist
I know this has been discussed quite frequently as it's a common issue, but I fixed mine without having to take anything apart after it exhibited all the symptoms others have experienced.

All I did was buy a can of CRC Isopropyl Alcohol Precision Cleaner (CRC 03201) and sprayed it (using the extension straw) a few times into the opening at both sides of the button while it was depressed. The cleaner is 99% pure IPA and dissolved the buildup keeping the button from returning very well. I was more than willing to disassemble the console trim to fix this but decided on trying a different route first. From what others were saying I agreed that oils or other lubricants might make things worse, especially come winter time.

The latch button functions quite easily and smoothly now, releasing and returning immediately. If the problem returns I'll see if this fix is reliable.
I am so glad I read your post. It saved me lots of time. I was getting pretty annoyed with my lid not staying closed, but some isopropyl made it work again. Thanks! @The Unrealist

Old 07-19-2021, 02:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroboy
I am so glad I read your post. It saved me lots of time. I was getting pretty annoyed with my lid not staying closed, but some isopropyl made it work again. Thanks! @The Unrealist
Glad to hear that it worked for you. Mine is still acting like new going on 15 months now.