XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Do I have a bad battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have a bad battery?

I recently purchased my first Jaguar. It’s a 2015 XJL with 13,000 miles. I don’t drive it every day, but I’ve noticed three messages that say battery low start car. I bought the car in New York and brought it to Florida. I spoke with a gentleman at the mall yesterday who has same car. Asked about the messages, said he had the same issue. Took it to his dealer and they replaced the battery under warranty. I called the same dealer this morning, and they told me this was normal. Do I have to keep a battery tender on this car at all times? Not a happy camper! Thanks

Old 11-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

If it is the original battery, it may need to be replaced. A failing or weak battery cause many of the electrical 'faults' discussed across these forums.

With the ignition in the OFF position, the battery should show 12.5 volts across the terminals when tested with a voltmeter.

The following users liked this post:
Jjdejd (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

I have had that warning on and off on mine for the whole 6 1/2 years I have had the car since new, it will generally come on if you maybe leave the doors open while loading or unloading the car. It is a pain to see it but I have never worried too much about it.
I do use a ctek battery conditioner if the car is not going to be used for maybe 10 days or so as it does help to keep the battery in tip top condition, it can help to prolong battery life as well. Mine is still on the original battery and the car has covered about 80000 miles or so.

Jjdejd (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jjdejd, a few things to consider with this. Yes, if you drive the car only say once a week, you may see warnings like you are seeing because there are computers that run in your car 24/7/365 and they will pull a small amount of power from the battery, draining it over time. This is where most members have gone to some sort of trickle charging setup for their cars to ensure that the battery is maintained at 100%.

Secondly, as odd as it may sound, lock your car, even if you are parking it inside of your garage. The car is designed to turn off a majority of the computers when the doors are locked. If you don't lock the doors, the car remains "awake". More stuff on, more draw from the battery, the quicker it will drain.

The final thing that you need to consider is if you have something plugged into the power outlets (say a GPS unit, cell phone charger, etc). Depending on the outlet that it is plugged into, it may have power all the time and again, it will pull a little bit of power (even when not charging something), draining the battery that much faster.

Jjdejd (11-09-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine seems to say low batter a lot, never had any issue and I used to charge it overnight every time message popped up. But juice was always good even when I got the message so Now I just ignore it. No issues. Battery still good.

Jjdejd (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

A 2015 XJL could have been manufactured in 2014, which would make the original battery 3 years old. With only 15K miles it wasn't driven much, which would adversely affect the battery's longevity, particularly in cold climates like NY. It was probably due for a new battery.

Jjdejd (11-14-2017)