XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Electrical circuit capacity

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts
Default Electrical circuit capacity

This my be more technical than most people even want to contemplate, but I have an idea.

My question is if someone may have inside knowledge of how much current the rear fog light circuits can handle? The factory rear fog lights do not pull a lot of current since they are LED. So, worst case, I am figuring these are going to pull around 100 mA (haven't put my multimeter on it to confirm it). I am looking to add another say 150-250 mA to each one with a lighting mod that I am contemplating. Would anyone have dealership (possibly even higher) access to the electrical circuits. I have the dealership drawings, but they are not very helpful in giving me an idea of how much current this circuit may be able to handle.

Now, for what I have in mind. I know there have been some people that have wanted DRLs for their car and I am contemplating adding something like that. But, I am also looking to add front fog lights. Part of the question then becomes whether I want to make the DRLs also be my fog lights (ie, they will turn on when the car is started, turn off when the headlight switch is taken to the headlight position, then come back on when the fog lights are turned on). The circuit to make this happen is very simple (single relay). The only portion of this that I am not 100% about is whether I will need to add a second relay to allow the rear fog lights to power the front fog lights by activating a relay (minimal current) or whether the rear fog lights have enough capacity to power the front fog lights directly.

To get into a little bit more specifics. I am looking at mounting eight 10MM (285KMCD) LEDs under the chrome piece on the outer portion of the lower grille and/or fifteen 10MM (285KMCD) LEDs above the chrome piece on the outer portio nof the lower grille. This is where I can either say use the 8 LEDs as DRLs and then use the 15 as the fog lights, or simply use only the 8 (or 15) LEDs as both the DRLs and fog lights. If I use one set of LEDs for both, then it really comes down to a matter of how much light I want to push out the front of my car. The 10MM LEDs are rated at 35 lumen each. So, a set of 8 would push out just under 300 lumen each side. The set of 15 would push out just over 500 lumen each side.

Once the LEDs are installed into the outer grille plates, they are going to become essentially invisible since I will be painting the backs of the LEDs black. So, unless you look really close, you won't see anything out of the ordinary. If you get in close, then you are going to see the domes of the LEDs, but that is about it. The other "challenge" that I have is making sure that I drill the holes at the correct angle so the LEDs shine straight forward and not off to the side. But, I have an idea for that already. I just have to create a jig that I can slide around the front of the car that can hold my drill.

I play with LEDs a lot. I have taken some of these 10MM LEDs and created a back yard light that is putting out just over 3,000 lumen (keep in mind that a 60w incandescent bulb only puts out 800 lumen) for a mere 9 watts. So, I know the lighting range and how it shines over distance. It lights up the back really well and will throw shadows over 200 feet. My neighbors give me grief because when I turn on the light, I light up their back yards too. Oops. He he he he he.

Last edited by Thermo; 06-10-2017 at 05:32 PM.