XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Engine light on, brand new car

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine light on, brand new car

Just got a 2011 jl brand new. Second day the engine light came on. I took it in, they said the engine misfired but claim it is not serious. It has been almost a week and they still have not figured it out. At what point should i start invoking lemon laws? Hope it doesnt get to that, but dont want to have future issues. What should i do?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

Is the dealer an accredited Jaguar main agent ? I assume it must be if you have just bought a new one.

If the engine fault light came on there should be some fault codes recorded. These need to be read and a fuller answer given by the dealer.

Is the "check engine" warning still on, or have they cleared it ? If it is still there, you need to be somewhat more forceful with them, as just letting something like this go unattended-to is nonsensical, frankly.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM
MTW
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lemon law requires that you give them a fair amount of attempts to fix the issue. I won a law suit against Chrysler and I remember that I was tolled min 3 attempts but more makes it easier to win.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the last six of your VIN? wondering if it is an early model 2011

Old 11-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I haven't seen any major engine problem posts here (except for ExpatJag's blown engine, of course), so I wouldn't call your car a lemon just yet. I haven't had any issues with mine in almost 16,000 miles and it is a very early VIN and I drive it pretty aggressively. That being said, if the check engine light comes on, there has been or still is a problem and a competant dealer should be able to nail it down and fix it. The question is, do you have a competant dealer? That is one of Jaguar's biggest problems IMHO.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Houtexjag, it is jaguar north, what are your thoughts?

Thing is all 3 jaguar dealers are all owned by Sonic. Is one better than the other?

They also mentioned that technically it is impossible for engine to misfire. It is a computer issue or sensor issue, not an enine issue. Does this sound true?

Last edited by superflysocal; 11-25-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by superflysocal
They mentioned that technically it is impossible for engine to misfire. It is a computer issue or sensor issue, not an enine issue. Does this sound true?
I'm pretty sure that is a lie. Simple coil failure and a lot of other issues can lead to misfire or "failure to fire." Most service departments are used to talking to people who have no knowledge of cars, they are blowing smoke up your ****.
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 11-26-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by superflysocal
Houtexjag, it is jaguar north, what are your thoughts?

Thing is all 3 jaguar dealers are all owned by Sonic. Is one better than the other?

They also mentioned that technically it is impossible for engine to misfire. It is a computer issue or sensor issue, not an enine issue. Does this sound true?
That's my dealer too and, so far, they have been able to diagnose and take care of my issues, although I have not had any major ones other than the roof popping. There are a lot of causes for an engine misfiring, so I don't think it's legit to say that they can't do this. Why are they keeping your car? Is it running poorly? Were they able to clear the check engine light?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Almost all engine misfires on the 5.0 are related to fuel. Jaguar just came out with a tsb to address thisa specificly on the 5.0 jtb00241
it involves air induction, and injector cleaning with bg products only. If its been there a week remember its there with thanksgiving holiday, people on vacation. added wotk from customers off work and everyone and their mother coming in for service work oil changes etc... since theyre off. plus not everyone has even gotten the kits from BG yet to adapt into the 5 litre yet.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It may be me, but that BG kit and TSB isn't worth crap. I've had no success with this TSB, injector replacment seems to be the only fix. On a funny note, I had a 2011 XKR 5.0L S/C that I did this TSB on and it didn't work. Next I replaced the injectors that were bad. The customer then told me I didn't get his authorization to replace the injectors on his car. I told him it's not your car, it's Chase Financial's car, you just make payments on it. Number two your cars under factory warranty so I don't need you authorization. Most customers are fricking morons

The following users liked this post:
gears (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Had the same problem. Fixed long ago. Misfire cyl 8. Did the fuel injector clean TSB. It's crap but dealer has to follow jag directions for warranty. So they replaced a fuel injector. Problem now permanently fixed. FYI, replacing fuel injector is a bit more work than it sounds on this car. Hence jags attempt with cleaner in case it's dirty fuel issue. Warranty, no big deal. Had loaner. Not really a reason to invoke lemon law by a long shot.

Last edited by gears; 11-27-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arrrgh, the more i here of the problems people have had with this car, the more it makes me nervous about the one (2012 XJ) i just ordered. While I'm excited to get it, I often wonder if it will function correctly.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:29 AM

You really can't expect any modern high performance car to not have a problem every now and then--they are very complicated and that's why there's a warranty. Visit other forums and you'll see that this is not just with Jags. I don't find the new XJ to be unusual in this respect at all.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 AM

thanks guys.

they originally told me they checked all sensors which were Ok but now said they may be a bad sensor. They will try to replace that.

I will bring up the tsb (what does that stand for?)

Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Tech service bulletin
and yes its a process, you have to go by what jaguar wants when a issue is noted. It doesnt meen its the fix in all cases. Just like fixing cars outside a vin range with a bulletin, you can do it and fix the car, you just dont reffer to that bulletin for the repair. Do you know we dont get paid to fix cars unless parts are replaced? hard reboots, computer reflashes etc, meens NO PAY unless stated in a TSB, regardless if it fixes a car. Not unless we can refferance a tsb for the repair...anf how do many of the TSB's come out, by tech telling Jaguar how they have found they fixed an issue.
Ok so i fixed the car and you dont want to pay me. How about i dont fix a car because there is not a tsb to refferance...... Or maybe you only pay .2/hour to diagnose a problem, when a harder problem takes much longer, should i just stop at the paid time since anything after that is free and no pay to me????
How would everyone feel about working 12 months a yr and get paid for 10, or 11??? sorry for the rant but welcome to our world. When it all comes down to it, its the tech that takes it in the rear and eats labor.
Also other than the roof pops which now seem to be fixed with the latest tsb, theyre great cars with few issues. ( i didnt state perfect, i said few)

gears (11-30-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

There should be some sort of tech incentive fee for finding a solution to a new problem (or even an old one that the TSB doesn't always work), especially if its one that does actually result in a TSB being issued, w/ extra compensation for authoring the draft step by step process the TSB will be drafted from.

Good luck superfly, I wouldn't be too worried about it, a misfire is something with a very thorough diagnostic process that should find your problem.

gears (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 AM

Hello all Techs,
I am not a tech. Just a technically inclined customer. I couldn't agree more with you. I.e. my dealer told me that tech spend more then a day on implementing his 1st time roof noise TSB. (The second working one). However, he only got paid 2.5 hours. Correct, he can now do it easily under 2 hours. But there is a real problem which I fault manufacturers for. Not just Jaguar, all of them.
I agree that buying complex car in this price range doesn't mean no problems. But what it means to me is that I get excellent service to make up for it. It means that I expect that manufacturer to do everything possible to correct such problems and take care of me as a customer. That makes all the difference.
However, that will not happen unless they pay the techs and dealers fairly for the process of fixing problems which are caused by design flaws, manufacturing issues or faulty parts. Skimping on that side will lead to poor customer reviews.

Despite having had the roof noise issues and a faulty injector I still would give the car a great review. It's fixed and my dealer and its staff made the difference. Despite telling me they get paid even less know for warranty work, they did provided EXCELLENT service and the techs at my dealership (Elmhurst Jaguar, IL) are very skilled and conscientious. Without their service and efforts I would probably parted ways from this (admittedly beautiful) car and probably the Jaguar brand.

To all just customers: If you have a great dealer with good techs, don't worry too much about the stories posted on this and other boards. Out of thousands of XJ owners only a handful is posting here. And most of them are the ones with problems. You will find the same at any other board i.e. Audi, MB, BMW and so on. Don't sweat a broken fuel injector. It's not really a major issue.

Brutal (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks gears, and they have now drop the time on bulletin to 1.70, and if you have to do a casting motor(operates the shades) it pays .50. We've done alot of these and no one can beat the times paid. So every one we do is a loss in income. We seriously think that times are based on the numbers hit on a dart board after a few pints are tossed back. Hey 17 for that job=1.70

Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Hey,
why don't want we watch the guys coming up with those numbers to do one of those roof TSB's while we are timing with a stop watch. And then we inspect to make sure they didn't leave a single scratch on the roof fabric or any other surface, kink the the roof liner while taking it down or sticking your head through the sunroof opening and so on. And good luck trying not to break any of the clips as the TSB always states "remove clips carefully to avoid braking" , yet I believe that is a hit and miss no matter how good you are and some clips are easy to put in but next to impossible to remove.

In the interest of the customer's experience and service, manufacturers must be fair to the techs. I don't understand the disconnect on this level considering all the resources manufacturers throw at market research and customer surveys.

1.7 for the roof TSB? I know one thing for sure; you can't rush jobs like this if you want to avoid mistakes leading to interior damage. (all it takes is forgetting to keep gloves on or hands clean while touching the interiour liner)

I have met my share of unsilled, unmotivated and simply untalented techs over the years of owning high end cars.

I am a customer and in the defense of Jaguar and its dealers and here is what they seem to get right. They (dealers) have succeeded to hire and retain a high level of skilled techs.

To all the may be buyers: I have owned my share of high end cars including Maserati and Bentley and Ferrari. Trust me, Jaguar has a lot less problems then these much more pricey brands. They only big issue WAS the roof noise problem which isn't that unusual for a first year production run. That is fixed. Otherwise I had about the same amount of "check engine", minor sensor or whatever issues on my CLS63.

Considering there level of latest technology and high tech all of these cars are very reliable. And Jaguar is not worse than all its competitors. I owned a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas for 8 years and had only 2 unscheduled dealer visit for ABS pump under warranty and wheel bearing front end worn out link issue. I considered that car very reliable and it fortunately did never show of Jaguar unreliability from decades ago. If you are looking for a perfect car; there is no such thing!

hogtym (11-30-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 PM

Ok, they have replaced the fuel injector and a spark plug, and it is still misfiring. I am now officially worried.

If anybody here can offer any further input, please do.

Quick Reply: Engine light on, brand new car